Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Realistic Drifting

I was talking with my friends about how race cars slow down and try to exit a corner the fastest without losing grip and but someone suggested that a drifter can get around a hairpin turn faster than a racer (in the same car or class).

I was thinking that if a drifter slowed down less, got sideways and through the corner, they'd have to have more grip than the racer's car to exit the turn faster than the racer. Then again, I don't know enough about racing.

Could a drifter get through the tight corner faster than a racer? If so how and if not, why not?

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Old 06-03-2006, 03:42 AM   #2
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Re: Realistic Drifting

In some rare cases a driver who's drifting can take a tight turn faster than a drive who's gripping.

You don't see much drifting in competitive racing, unless it's by accident, because it causes huge tire wear. And endurance is the name of the game to racing.

You can look cool as hell sliding around and making tire smoke, but if you can't finish the race cause of spent tires, you're worthless. So slowing down that extra bit goes along way finishing the race.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

To be honest I see in most cases the person that is hooked up the entire time is going to usually get around faster. The drifter may be able to come into the corner faster but as the tires are breaking loose he is going to be gradually slowing down the entire way around that turn. Someone who is hooked up to the pavement the entire time will quick slow down, and then soon after will be accelerating out of the turn while the person drifiting is stuck with spinning tires and is just strating to be able to accelerate after they are almost completely out of the turn giving them a much later time to start acceleration. And as Red said, you would either end up crashing or burning up your tires to quick to keep that up for a whole entire race.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

What advantage would a drifter need to get around the corner faster over a race car driver?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

A car not set up for drifting.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Drifting, 99% of the time, results in a slower lap time.

That 1% of the time it's faster is when you come up to a extreme hairpin, it's possible to go faster sliding a bit (a bit) than to grip it.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
ShadowWulf2K
AF Newbie

The fastest way through a corner is by using 100% of the tires traction. Using any more than that will cause the tires to slide, and that loss of traction leads to loss of speed, or worse. That is why you will never see professional race car drivers drifting even in a short sprint race where tire wear is not as much of a factor. The only time I have seen drifting on tarmac outside of drifting competitions is in rally racing. On a very sharp hairpin turn the driver will have the car's back end slide out, just a bit to get the car pointed in the right direction.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf2K
The fastest way through a corner is by using 100% of the tires traction. Using any more than that will cause the tires to slide, and that loss of traction leads to loss of speed, or worse. That is why you will never see professional race car drivers drifting even in a short sprint race where tire wear is not as much of a factor. The only time I have seen drifting on tarmac outside of drifting competitions is in rally racing. On a very sharp hairpin turn the driver will have the car's back end slide out, just a bit to get the car pointed in the right direction.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

Didn't I just say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TheStig-
Drifting, 99% of the time, results in a slower lap time.

That 1% of the time it's faster is when you come up to a extreme hairpin, it's possible to go faster sliding a bit (a bit) than to grip it.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
ShadowWulf2K
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The Stig-
Didn't I just say that?
I know, I was just refering to what I've seen done in rally racing, just being specific.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

I just noticed redneck changed his name.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
midgetracing28
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to midgetracing28 Send a message via Yahoo to midgetracing28

Go watch a late model in action or sprint car to go the FASTEST in a dirt track you drift but you try to keep it as minimal as possible and gettin th car hicked up to 3 wheel is even faster yet. if you have never seen a car 3 wheel go to youtube.com and just type in dirt late model and start watching great action.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
alphaboo
AF Newbie

In oval racing drifting is not a good way to drive. However I remember that a proper four wheel drift use to be the prefered method of going through a turn in formula one racing.

I'm not talking about those silly car sliding all over the place drifts but a tightly controled drift that lets you keep your F1 car in a higher gear so you can come out of a turn without even having to shift back up. But theses types of drifts are totally controlled in which you keep the car on the edge of losing traction but not breaking away so you don't lose speed because you quite often can get around a curve using a good drift without changing gears.

This might have changed as of late because I admit I am a few years out of date not being up on racing for at least 10 years.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique