Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
96cutsup
AF Newbie

oil in the antifreeze?

Hi everyone. I just found this forum a short while ago and have been reading it since then. I have gotten some valuable information from you people and you have my thanks. I wish I had some info to give back but my knowledge about these newer cars is limited. I am hoping I can get some help solving a problem I have with my 96 cutlass 3.1.

I have had oil in my anti freeze from just about day one with this car. There is no antifreeze in the oil however. My dealer wouldn't do anything about it under warrenty. They said it was no big deal. Its funny how they say it should be fixed as soon as possible now that the warrenty is long over. It will only cost me about $800.00.

Anyway the service light is now coming on so I bought a scantool and the code shows a misfire in cylinder number two. My first thought is head gasket but would there not be antifreeze in the oil too if the head gasket was the problem? My thoughts are there is a breach in the gasket between an oil chanel and an antifreeze chanel although I can't see how this would cause a misfire. Maybe there are two problems. What is the oil pressure in these engines? It must be more than the coolant pressure?

If anybody has had any problems similar to this please help me. I would like to get as good an understanding of the situation as I can before I dive under the hood an take it apart.
96cutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
bgchrs2004
AF Regular

i wouldnt think any coolant would be in the oil because the oil is under a greater pressure than the coolant so if its like a leak or sumthin than the oil would push into the coolant and not the other way around like you were talking about...
try maybe getting a pressure gauge on cylinder 2 and see if it holds pressure...if not you are probly right about the head gasket
bgchrs2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
Genopsyde
The President

Send a message via AIM to Genopsyde Send a message via Yahoo to Genopsyde
Re: oil in the antifreeze?

if you're gettin oil in your coolant, you definately have a cracked head gasket, head, or block, just hope it's the first. as for cylinder 2, you probably have a fouled spark plug due to the breach in the head/gasket/block.
Genopsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
96cutsup
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. Since I posted the first message in this thread I have replaced the head and intake manifold gaskets. The Intake manifold gaskets had failed where the coolant passage goes through the manifold. Three weeks later there a little oil is still showing up in the coolant overflow. I am hoping it is just oil that was in the passages. The misfire is gone so I suspect the manifold gaskets had failed in other places too even though they looked ok. The head gaskets looked good so I don't think they where the problem.

Now I will work on the damd antilock brakes that occationaly activate under normal braking. It is unnerving having the brakes suddenly unload when you are stopping at a red light. Once the computer scences the problem it lockes out the antilocks and gives you normal braking but your underware is already dirty by then.
96cutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #5
95ragtop
AF Newbie

I have the same exact problem on a 95 3.1. GM has a know issue with intake (& exhaust) manifold gaskets that they won't own up to. I'll be taking mine in this week for a new gasket.
95ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
ra11585643
AF Enthusiast

Re: oil in the antifreeze?

Get those gaskets fixed quick, if the anti freeze gets into your oil and the crank bearings its all over for those bearings.
ra11585643 is offline   Reply With Quote