Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
DZSS
AF Newbie

Window Stuck Half Open

97 GTP 108,000

Rolled down my drivers window half way and now its stuck, if I press down it will go down further but when pressing up nothing happens, anyone know what the problem might be?
DZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Window Stuck Half Open

Welcome to AF

You could have a bad window motor or regulator assembly. If you take the inner door panel off, you'll be able to see the regulator assembly. It has cables that run over guides that are known to break/fray causing your issue. It will still go down because gravity is helping it. If the cables and guides are good, then the motor is bad.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
DZSS
AF Newbie

Anyone know if there is anyway to force the window up manually until I get the replacement parts? I took off the panel and got to the assembly but its just stuck, the things that hold the window won't slide up.
DZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
helicopter23
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSS
Anyone know if there is anyway to force the window up manually until I get the replacement parts? I took off the panel and got to the assembly but its just stuck, the things that hold the window won't slide up.

I have the same problem with my '97 GT (96k). What I did was have somebody push it up with you trying to use the window controls. You might have to do this multipy times because each time I started the car it gradually went up. Seems like if you wait about 20 minutes in between each try the window motor gains more power ?
helicopter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Krule
AF Newbie

This happened on my car aswell. The track the window slides in wasn't oiled, and had started rusting, this caused the window to sieze really. Just got some silicone dry and fluid flim, and greased it good (pulling the widnow up and down manually in that track. I tested the motor by taking it out of the door and using the button to test it, and the thing works beautiful, but there was some rust developing on the gears. Also when your taking the inner door off be very careful of the plastic clips that hold it on, just take your time and feel around, otherwise you'll break em. i used a special tool i made to slide around and grab the clip, then pry it out.
Krule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
miwhay
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with my 98 GP but it is the window switch as these are known to go bad. I can put my window down easily but have to really work the switch to get it back up. Most salvage yards do not have the switches as they are in hot demand. Try GMpartsdirect.com and search for P/N 10290244 (at least that is the P/N for a 98 with 4 doors) or try ebay.
miwhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
bjaymo3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bjaymo3

I found that my window motor had burned out because did not have the window properly within the guides inside the door. Down was fine, but up was a crawl until the window finally said "Look, Idiot, you've got to get window guides checked or I'm just going to burn out again"......which it did.
bjaymo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
jrmy1krn
AF Newbie

Before you go riping door apart... My 05 monty was doing something similar. It would stop about 4 inches from the top, it would go back down and come back to this spot no problem. Also the windows were really slow going.
I sprayed silicone lubricant all around the window and kept moving it up and down, and eventually it worked itself out. All the road salt and dirt was adding alot of friction between the window and the side gaskets I think. Yeah it was a big mess but Alot cheaper than throwing new parts in.
I did the same thing to my GP which had the realy slow windows and it helped a lil.
jrmy1krn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix