Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 03:30 PM   #121
tnkt23
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tnkt23
Thumbs up NIce!

Those are such nice cars! I can't will till FAF2 comes out!!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:07 PM   #122
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

ooo cool 2003 vipers! yellow? hmmm ok i guess. yeah the other cars could be nicer, but check out the interior with that huge nos bottle. nice. well if they stick to the atmosphere of the first movie it should be sweet. more car scenes though! forget the cops talking!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:13 PM   #123
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

hahah yeah the shifting. brian. he shifts and hes body doesnt move at all ! the cars like rrrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrr he moves like once the whole time >?? what the hell o well the cars are cool
Old 10-25-2002, 06:05 PM   #124
comradegiant
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to comradegiant Send a message via AIM to comradegiant Send a message via Yahoo to comradegiant
I guess that SOME good might come out of a sequel to F&F... maybe THIS time people will notice that all the GOOD cars are either RWD or AWD. FF is nice for groceries and all, but when it comes to putting power to the ground, its way too inefficient.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:57 PM   #125
g0stx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to g0stx
dont get me wrong, I thought the 1st F&F was pretty good, but c'mon... When you whittle down the thin plot and outlandish schemes there is only 1 thing left... a 2 hour n02 comercial. After that everyone called it NOS instead of nitrous or N-O-2. Oh well, maby this one will get a better plot and better acting than last time. But without Desil...

Bah, ill still be there for the first showing anywhoo, im a comercial wh0re.. =P
Old 10-26-2002, 12:19 AM   #126
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Quote:
Originally posted by thrasher
Well, to put it bluntly Devil, No, you are wrong. First off, A viper does not have a SOHC engine, it is OHV. This means that the engine block contains one overhead camshaft. SOHC means one camshaft per bank, which equals 2, and DOHC means 2 camshafts per bank, which equals 4. And yeah, 1 hp per ci might have cut it 20 years ago, but a decent engine makes much, much more than that. Let's look at a few examples.
1 Ferrari Enzo-366 CI=660HP 2 Aston Martin DB7-366 CI=414HP
3 Acura RSX-S-122 CI=200HP 4 Honda S2000-122 CI=240 HP
5 Nissan Max-213 CI=255HP 6 Acura TL-S-195 CI=260 HP
7 Porsche 911-219 CI=320HP 8 Toyota Celica GTS-109 CI=180HP
9 BMW M3-195 CI=333HP 10 Honda Accord EX-183 CI=240HP

You get the picture. And those aren't all even high performance vehicles, either. It is a commonly accepted fact that DOHC engines produce much more power than OHV, that is why more and more cars use them these days. American companies refuse to put them in some vehicles because it is much easier, not to mention cheaper to manufacture an engine that is much bigger with a lot less technology. I guarantee you that if a Viper engine (8.3 liter) was DOCH and was tuned to match European/Japanes specs, it could easily produce 800 hp.
I'm just saying that you have to look at reality here. Granted, a Viper has a lot of torque, but like I said, were it DOHC, it would have a whole h*ell of a lot more.
:bandit:
Pardon me, but OHV means NO cams over the head!! The only reason for putting over-head cams on a car is to reduce valvetrain friction and mass. Yes, pushrods engines can put out the same power numbers as an OHC engine, the position of the cam has nothing to do with available lift, duration, or ramp-angle. One only other benefit to OHC designs is more freedom to open the combustion chamber as in "Hemi" heads. Hmmmm, hemi-heads! Weren't those introduced by Chrysler in the early 60's?? Leave they engineering to the ENGINEERS, and if you think your S2000 with 240 hp can take my '87 Grand National with it's 230 hp V6, bring it on!!
Old 10-26-2002, 12:25 AM   #127
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Re: Re: jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by blindwhite

Second, doesn't anyone know that there is a column of air over a 100 miles up through the atmosphere for every square inch of ground that your car rolls on? That whole column or air produces 14.7 psi! Now your say to yourself, "where have I heard psi before?". Turbo's and Superchargers(or Blowers to you ci loving hotrodders) is what you come up with. Yes, you think of that because they are related. Your normally aspirated larger cc engine may suck in A LOT more AIR in regards to VOLUME and in relation to an engine half your size; but, going back to that column of air producing 14.7 psi, the large displacement engine's cylinders do not completely fill up its volume with air at BDC to have a pressure equal to the atmospheric pressure of 14.7 because of friction and air restrictions along the intake track. That 14.7 is what an engine performance tech would also call the Stoichiometric ratio. For every 14.7 parts of air you add/mix one part of Hydrocarbon. Meaning to say, that unless you are getting EXACTLY 14.7 parts of air in a cylinder, you do not add 1 part of fuel. 14.7 psi measured in the cylinder is 100% Volumetric Efficiency. Anything less that is definitely NOT 100%.

Now, I'd estimate that the single camshaft V engine has a volumetric efficiency of only 8-10psi(i dunno, correct me if I'm wrong), but it is definitely not 14.7. And what if you took a car with that engine to near Colorado Springs and drive it up that hill climb? You take that 500(bhp?) Viper up that hill the best you can and you'll never beat the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo which happens to be the fastest so far to get up there.
Reason for your poor performance? Inefficiency and the fact that at the end of the race you were producing 90 less horsepower.

On the other hand, if you take the Skyline GT-R tuned to 500hp or more up that hill, then you'll make it up there faster then your previous trial with the Big Block, and probably with enough gas to beat the Big Block down the hill. Reason for this Skyline victory is because on it's way up the hill it maintained as close as possible it's Volumetric Efficiency. As a matter of fact, it doing 500+ hp says that it is doing more work than at 100% 14.7 psi. It may be taking in a volumetric efficiency of 25psi. 14.7 plus 14.7 is nearly 30psi. That's like having TWO engines IN ONE. No wonder the Small volume High performance DOHC engine is beating the Single V Big Block. Its working more to fill it's cylinders with air two times more than itself, and three times more than the Big Block. At the top of that hill, the Skyline will still be producing 500 hp because it's lungs are still drawing in 25 or so psi, as compared to the Big Block Single camshaft drawing in less.

Third, if you want to measure ci to hp ratios then here is your Final Thought. You say the Dodge Viper has an engine of 8 Litres. 8 times 61 is 488. That means the engine is 488 cubic inches. The horsepower is 500(bhp?). That leaves us with a ratio of 1.02 hp per cubic inch.
Now, the Skyline GT-R R34 has an engine of 2.6 Litres. 2.6 times 61 is 158. That gives us an engine that is 158 cubic inches. The horsepower at stock is 280. That my steel junkie is a a ratio of 1.77hp per cubic inch. Does 1.77 look larger than 1.02 to you on the real number line?
How about if we take the Skyline GT-R around the Vipers ballpark? 316 cubic inches with 500+ Horsepower. The 8 litre beating Skyline has a power to volume ratio of ATLEAST 1.58 hp per cubic inch. My numbers may be off, but it still shows that 1.58 is greater than 1.02.
(Thanks to thrasher for additional info on other cars producing more than 1.02 hp per cubic inch. DOHC helps intake fullfill better volumetric efficiency).

Sorry this is off topic but its necessary.

If you don't understand a word I said, then just think about one thing:

Formula One
3.0 litre V-10 producing 800 Horsepower at 18,000 RPM.

Or, just ask what is hard to comprehend and I'm sure someone here will answer.

:sun:
Pikes Peak is more of a traction race than horsepower, you forgot that 80% of it is DIRT!! And yet, in every other racing venue in the world were horribly inefficient US cars compete head-to-head with others, WE ALWAYS WIN!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 12:31 AM   #128
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by BingBingMa
And the Vipers look pretty gay too, not only do the rear lights make them loo like chrysler's,. but they only make 500 hp out of 8.1 litres, quite symbolic of american gluttony and inefficiency.
Hmmm, The rear lights on a DODGE Viper make it look like a Chrysler?? CAN'T IMAGINE WHY!!!

Gluttony and inefficiency. Here is an example of your typical American malcontent whiner. Stick a tampon in it and shut your pie-hole, your looking REALLY stupid here.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:29 AM   #129
dabone
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by BingBingMa
but they only make 500 hp out of 8.1 litres, quite symbolic of american gluttony and inefficiency.
hehez, agree wtih that:
viper = 500hp out of 8.1l
honda integra = 192 hp out of 1.8l

i hope there will be an integra too in TFF2
Old 10-26-2002, 10:13 AM   #130
CivicSkater
Banned

The "Vipers"

They kinda look like the Dodge Concept Car.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:28 PM   #131
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

int dodge part of chrysler?
Old 10-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #132
BingBingMa
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to BingBingMa
just becaus chrysler owns dodge doesnt mean they have to take styling cues off eachother, besides the dodge viper doesnt even have a chrysler chassis sharing counterpart, so there is no reason for it to look anything like a chrysler. U dont see a integra take many styling cues from a civic do u, even tho they share many other things in common

and murco, u dick loving faggot, ur grand national would get its ass kicked by any stock s2000. (weak ass v6 making only 230, and its prolly the crank number, seeing as how murco loves shaft)

(heheh, im talking lots of smack today)
Old 10-26-2002, 05:32 PM   #133
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

bu those taillights looks like chryslers!
Old 10-26-2002, 05:34 PM   #134
BingBingMa
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to BingBingMa
yes
Old 10-26-2002, 08:17 PM   #135
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

My question is why is there 2 yellow vipers and 2 silver skylines that are exactly the same? Is it possible they are going to wreck one of those cars? I'd cringe to see either of those thing shattered to pieces like that Charger ended up.