Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
MatLax
AF Newbie

2200 prestone trouble

Hi there, I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 B2200 with 140 000 km on it for 800$, only trouble is it's burning prestone, I'm not much of a mechanic (I love to play in the engine, just if I know what the problem is first) so any one of you could tell me what the problem could be? Is it a really pricy repair and how easily could it be done at home?
MatLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Vanagon-tom
AF Newbie

Re: 2200 prestone trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLax
Hi there, I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 B2200 with 140 000 km on it for 800$, only trouble is it's burning prestone, I'm not much of a mechanic (I love to play in the engine, just if I know what the problem is first) so any one of you could tell me what the problem could be? Is it a really pricy repair and how easily could it be done at home?
Sounds like your head gasket. Gasket cost 20 to 50 bucks!
Vanagon-tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
MatLax
AF Newbie

ok, and how hard is it to change?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
hocbj23
AF Regular

Not that difficult. The only problem is when u get it off,since the truck has been burning antifreeze with a blown headgasket,be prepared for nasty surprises when u get head off such as holes burned in top of pistons,burned valves,bad oil rings,warped head ,etc.If u think u can handle what may turn into a full engine rebuild,have at it.If truck runs ok other than burning antifreeze,u may get away with just the head gasket.Biggest headache is getting intake and exhaust manifolds off so u can get head off to replace gasket.Use a copper gasket if u can as they seem to seal better and last longer.BJ
hocbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
MatLax
AF Newbie

ok, I'll see with one of my friends if he has any place in his garage so that we could work on it together =P

thanks guys!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Kyrasis6
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kyrasis6

B2200 Cylinder Head Inspection and Installation

Make sure you inspect it for warpage before re-installing it. If it it warped more than .003" you are just wasting time and money if you dont' get it straightened and shaved.

Also although copper gaskets hold up much better to combustion pressure and are seem to be great on turbocharged engines they are prone to coolant leaks...

Make sure you clean all the valves as well, especially the exhaust valves, they will have a hard white build up on them that will cause the valves to overheat and can cause detonation problems.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter