Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
archer of loaf
AF Newbie

B2200 Carburetor Vs Fuel Injection

I was at the scarp yard and saw that a couple of the trucks were fuel injected. Is there any advantage to swap a carburetor to injection? The only thing I can think of now is it would be possible to add turbo. Any views opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.
archer of loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
hocbj23
AF Regular

Re: B2200 Carburetor Vs Fuel Injection

Easier starting,better mileage,less catalytic converter problems..If u do swap,have to also get the FI computer and put a different fuel pump in.Carb uses mechanical,FI uses electric.FI trucks had 91 hp from factory,carb version had 85.BJ
hocbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
archer of loaf
AF Newbie

Thank you for your help! my b2200 is a 1990 xcab... it sounds like too much work to convert to FI... especially i am redoing most of the frame (rusted out). it is one heck of a job but it shall give the girl a few more years of life... Any advise on what to do for a replacement seat? i have read in other posts to do a straight switch with another model... all the b2200 seats i have seen are beat down to the metal as mine. .. thanks again!
archer of loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
hocbj23
AF Regular

Go to scrap yard and see if u can find a 1989,90,91 Mazda 626 with good bucket seats.They are a direct bolt in for 2200 trucks. BJ
Old 10-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
marco44004
AF Newbie

what about this, using a fuel injection pump with a regular carb? Is it doable?
marco44004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
hocbj23
AF Regular

Anything is doable if u do ur homework. If ur dead set on using an electric pump,there are several inline aftermarket units available that woulf be more efficient than the in tank Mazda FI unit. U will have to use a pressure regulator as the stock Nikki carb only requires about 3-4 pounds of fuel pressure (check me on this) and most electrics give higher pressure. Same is true for the in tank Mazda FI unit.Also,I am not sure that the in tank FI unit is a direct bolt in for the carb tank.Maybe someone else can assist on that question.Hope this helps. BJ
Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
Kyrasis6
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kyrasis6

An electric pump designed for fuel injection usually puts out a minimum of 40 psi. which will probably more than enough to saturate the whole engine compartment in gasoline.

You want an electric fuel pump designed for carburetors, I think the standard for those is 10 psi as I have never seen one that put out anything different. You can get one of those el-cheapo fuel pressure regulators from Advance Auto to bring the fuel pressure down, it should work effectively as long as the pressure in is 10 psi.

There are 3 main benefits to the electric fuel pump on a carb, reduced mechanical drag, less heat getting to the fuel, and priming the pump without turning the engine.

The first two probably arn't a noticable gain. The last one comes in handy if you do a lot of engine work because you wont' have to crank the engine for a minute to start the engine. Instead you can turn the key to the run position, count to 3, give it a pump or two of gas and she'll fire right up every time. I forgot, if you have a show truck you can hide an electric one somewhere so the mechanical one doesn't look ugly under the hood

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter