Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to JakeDrummer Send a message via MSN to JakeDrummer
Anyone run a thundermuff exhaust system?

Hey Guys, I'm finally breaking down and doing it right. I'm looking at getting a full catback since my stock system is starting to go. I drive a 93 Civic. I've been looking at the Airmass Thundermuff cat-backs. Built by Holley. They seem to be well built, and I like how they look. The only downside is that they have a huge 5" tip. Kinda ricey, but oh well. Anyhow I'm just wondering if anyone is running them. And if you are, how is your power band affected, do you notice and drops or increases? how is the noise level at interstate speed, and most of all how does it sound? Thanks!
JakeDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
never heard of that I know holley makes good stuff, I would go with a 5zigen fireball or Greddy

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Bambooseven
AF Enthusiast

If i had the holley on my car I could never say the word thundermuff without chuckling boyishly
Old 09-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
Re: Anyone run a thundermuff exhaust system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotoriousMogg
never heard of that I know holley makes good stuff, I would go with a 5zigen fireball or Greddy
yea 5zigen is where its at right darrell. In case u dont know darrell runs it on his integra, and i run it on my civic. sounds nice. personally i wouldnt get the thundermuff, cause i personally dont like it. i have seen it on one civic and i didnt like it. get an actual exhaust made by a company that specializes in imports not muscle cars, u might find nothing wrong with that, but i do!

kinda like puting a greddy turbo kit on your 75 mustang. get my drift

www.fotki.com/esp

THIS OG IS GONE retired for good. peace yall. create a crew for me
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

gotcha, i'll stay away from it then. thanks guys
94' S-10 - Winter Beater.
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

OLD/SOLD CARS: 93' Civic (Sold 124k) -- 91' Civic (Dead 300K) --
91' Civic (STOLEN) -- 92' Civic (Donor) -- 90' Caravan (Dead 227k) -- 89' Civic (Sold 289k) -- 90' Accord (Sold 265k) -- 96' Corrola (Dead 174k) -- 99' Beetle (Sold 134k)
Old 09-24-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
dirty91crx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dirty91crx
i used to work for pep boys....we installed a thundermuff cat back on a 98gsr.....its sounded really nice on that car....really hollow and deep toned. but it was big....i personaly have a 2.25 full exh with a ractive universale muff....its really nice. loud and low at idle....once u get over 4g it starts to quiet and u can then hear the intake(which i prefer to hear) over the exh....its a nice muff for freeway driving.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

Now i've been off doing research and everyone is saying that a 5zigen fireball is one of the loudest muffs on the market. i mean i we talking mile away loud or what? I don't want that at all. (though i'd be fun ) so asides from the pet peeve of some of you about holley is it really that bad? I mean i'm looking for huge (cough... 5hp...cough...lol) power gains and sound level. Is it just that it has a 5" tip and says holley on the side? lemme kno... I don't have any peeps to quiz about this, theres not many cars around town.
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

91' Civic (STOLEN) -- 92' Civic (Donor) -- 90' Caravan (Dead 227k) -- 89' Civic (Sold 289k) -- 90' Accord (Sold 265k) -- 96' Corrola (Dead 174k) -- 99' Beetle (Sold 134k)
Old 09-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
yea 5zigens are kinda loud, but they are definatly not the loudest, not really sure how loud they are or how far away u can hear them. i have one on my car like i stated before and it really doesnt bother me.

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 09-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #9
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

got any recomended sites to buy both muffs off?
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

Old 09-24-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
esp
AF Fanatic

i got my 5zigen from www.groupbuycenter.com

that is a good site, also www.optauto.com

both have good exhausts

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 11-01-2003, 08:34 PM   #11
civiclover94
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDrummer
Hey Guys, I'm finally breaking down and doing it right. I'm looking at getting a full catback since my stock system is starting to go. I drive a 93 Civic. I've been looking at the Airmass Thundermuff cat-backs. Built by Holley. They seem to be well built, and I like how they look. The only downside is that they have a huge 5" tip. Kinda ricey, but oh well. Anyhow I'm just wondering if anyone is running them. And if you are, how is your power band affected, do you notice and drops or increases? how is the noise level at interstate speed, and most of all how does it sound? Thanks!
Yo dude write me back man. I have that Airmass thundermuff exhaust system and i have a 1994 Honda civic EX and thjat shit is loud as hell man. So if your going to buy it get ready to buy a silencer or receive a ticket. Its not that loud on the highway while your cruising but when you punch it it hurts your ears.I put a silencer in it and i just take it out when im going to race. I can tell you one thing i beat a 5.0 mustang cobra with only headers, the exhaust, and a cold air intake system. All of that put together makes one hell of a combo. I recamend you buying it. I can feel the powerband and it really helps if the car is stick. So please write me back. See you later SHAWN
civiclover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:59 PM   #12
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Anyone run a thundermuff exhaust system?

I hate to tell you something, the Mustang was not racing you. 5.0 cobra will smoke a stock civic, & I/H/E is stock IMO.

Flowmasters sound decent on 4-bangers - those chrome garbage cans don't do anything for me.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cg...ml?id=5JfLAGvw
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #13
civiclover94
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Anyone run a thundermuff exhaust system?

[quote=jackasssi]I hate to tell you something, the Mustang was not racing you. 5.0 cobra will smoke a stock civic, & I/H/E is stock IMO.

Yo dude i hate to tell you my civic aint stock i have a GREDDY TURBO and a hundred shot of NOS(which i didnt even have to use. So before you go hating find out exactly what i was saying. First off i was only mentioning what was exhaust realated so write me back man.
civiclover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #14
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

so i don't get it, why did you fail to mention the first time that your civic had a turbo? eh? no duh its gonna be faster than stock even if it didn't have the muff. remember bud all you probably added with the entire exhaust setup was like 10 hp maybe 20... and headers don't do alot for honda's cuz honda made the stock one so good in the first place. so its not like were all gonna be able to bolt on a bumble bee emulator and go murder 5.0's. anyhoo just stateing my oppion...
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

Old 11-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #15
T!mmy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to T!mmy Send a message via MSN to T!mmy

I have heard that the 5Zigen Fireball and the Skunk2 megapower are both VERY nice exhausts. I myself am about to go with the Skunk2 Megapower. From what I've heard the 5Zigen Fireball is a louder exhaust while the Skunk2 isn't quite as loud but it's a lower tone. So to me the Skunk2 sounds better. AND I love the way the Skunk2 exhaust looks. Just my opinion. Then again half the members here don't like the kitin my sig so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18c5sol94
we go from a stop he pulls a little on me (only cause i can't keep the wheels on the ground)
T!mmy is offline   Reply With Quote