Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
liberty57
AF Newbie

95 Regency Elite TCC Problem?

New to forum and have found great info before joining up. I have a 1995 Regency Elite, naturally aspirated. I've had the plastic intake plenum problem and fixed that a few yr ago. In the last year I've had a problem with the TCC engaging and disengaging. Checking the solenoid coils through the electrical plug, all resistance values measure good. While driving with an Actron scanner plugged in I (actually my wife) see the TCC solenoid engagement going on and off. I also see a constant TCC brake switch on indication. This sets up a shudder that feels like a cylinder missing. The car starts and runs well up through the gears until TCC lock up in either 3rd or 4th gear. I've taken the dash apart and checked the operation of the brake switches with a meter and they appear to function as expected. The voltages also seem correct. The Chilton manual indicates that the brake switch sends a signal to input #18 on the ECM on a purple wire. Being color blind is a problem as well as not having a pin-out of the ECM cable connectors. Am I heading in the right troubleshooting direction or am I barking up the wrong tree?
liberty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 95 Regency Elite TCC Problem?

The right way to diagnose this is with a bi directional scanner that cmmand the tcc on and look at the feed back engagement info. if you see positive engagement info and it shudders, barring a loaded misfire, the tcc is bad.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
liberty57
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Regency Elite TCC Problem?

maxwedge, thanks for the suggestion. Where does one get a bidirectional scanner or would it be cost effective to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed? There are a couple other things I need to take care of on this car that are not that expensive but if this is going to be a big chunk of money I'll get rid of it.
liberty57 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight