Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Avalanche
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
chuck's
AF Regular

08, 5.3 thermostat issue

Is it common for the thermostat to fail?? I believe that mine is not working properly. I can warm up the motor and feel the upper rad hose warm up. Temp gage will climb to just over the 100 degrees Celsius. I will feel the lower hose get hot and cooling fans on. Is it normal for the cooling fans to stay on after the lower hose feels cooler and the upper hose remain hot?? When installing new thermostat, does the thermostat slip into the groove in the o-ring and the tab on the o-ring sit in the groove cut in the housing?? Thanks for the help.
chuck's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 08, 5.3 thermostat issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck's View Post
Is it common for the thermostat to fail?? I believe that mine is not working properly. I can warm up the motor and feel the upper rad hose warm up. Temp gage will climb to just over the 100 degrees Celsius. I will feel the lower hose get hot and cooling fans on. Is it normal for the cooling fans to stay on after the lower hose feels cooler and the upper hose remain hot?? When installing new thermostat, does the thermostat slip into the groove in the o-ring and the tab on the o-ring sit in the groove cut in the housing?? Thanks for the help.
When replacing the stat.
Always look and see how the old is installed.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
how long have you owned this vehicle ? coolant used ? coolant replaced ? condition of coolant ? leaks ? pressure test ?

the electric fans are not heavy duty cooling. the electric fans will when in traffic cause the engine to operate above 100C/212F at times. then the fan[s] should come on and the temp will slowly drop...

with mechanical heavy duty cooling the temp locks in @195F and does not move.

in winter with temps below 20F the temp may not rise to 195F as quickly ..........
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
chuck's
AF Regular

When I took the thermostat housing off, I was careful not to let everything just fall to the floor. What I found was the o-ring was behind the thermostat and not slipped into the groove in the o-ring. This is why I asked the question. It seems wrong not to have the thermostat mounted in the groove of the o-ring. chuck's
chuck's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
When I took the thermostat housing off, I was careful not to let everything just fall to the floor. What I found was the o-ring was behind the thermostat and not slipped into the groove in the o-ring. This is why I asked the question. It seems wrong not to have the thermostat mounted in the groove of the o-ring. chuck's
why did you remove the thermostat ?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If it was installed wrong just reinstall it correctly.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
If it was installed wrong just reinstall it correctly.
chucks vehicle had a thermostat not installed correctly which is strange to me being a 2008 . would have been good to know , if he just got this vehicle in his posting... I would have expected the coolant to be leaking if the gasket was not installed correctly also being installed wrong is saying the person working this is not too bright.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Avalanche