Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
krad25CRX90
AF Newbie

Arrow Starting Problems with 90' CRX SI

Hello,

I am having starting issues with my stock ride & engine 1990 Honda CRX SI. It has 200k miles on an original d16a6 engine, and it ran good until this issue occured.

It was due for a Timing belt.

I replaced:
  • The timing belt with quality belts,
  • replaced the waterpump
  • seals to the engine, (distributer and
  • new valve cover gasket,
  • new standard single wall radiator,
  • oil change with synthetic
  • Performed the routine valve clearance gap check
  • timing light to synchronize the engine.
After the maintenance the car worked good for about 1500 miles. Then the engine stopped running.

I am able to turn over the engine, and hear the fuel pump run. I smell gas out of the exhaust when trying to turn over. I do hear a backfire from time to time after applying the gas when trying to start. I believe it to be getting spark. I checked the timing position when I hit TDC the white line on the pulley reads with the arrow on the plastic cover.

Since the engine stopped running I replaced:
  • The entire distributer
  • Spark Plug Wires
  • New spark plugs
  • Main Relay
  • Double checked valve clearances
The Car has been sitting for about 6 months as I have been going through this process, and I am at the end of my capabilities without outside help so I thought I would try the forum. If this does not work Im afraid I will have to break down and take the girl to a shop. I am truely missing the 37 mpg!

Thanks for reading, I would appreciate any beneficial comments or help.
krad25CRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
swingline
AF Newbie

Re: Starting Problems with 90' CRX SI

You need to verify that you have spark. Get a spark tester at a parts store or pull a spark plug and ground the electrode to the block.
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
krad25CRX90
AF Newbie

I broke down and took the CRX to the shop. They found a couple problems with the situation.

The first was that the rotor screw had come loose (again ) and was periodically spinning giving me a couple of sparks intermittently. This explains the issue of using the timing light to figure out when I was getting spark on one cylinder and realizing that I was getting the spark from time to time.

The second problem was being off 1 tooth for the timing after performing the work myself. This combination is allowing the engine to run well.

This was about 2 hrs of work so the price was not out of line.

I have a few other issues to work on now, such as better balanced wheels and new tires. Also doing the upper lower and tie rod joints.

But I am getting 30 mpg, and I believe that is due to the balancing issue. I get a wobbling effect when getting up to speeds 50+mph. The shop did a poor job with the balancing.
krad25CRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad25CRX90 View Post

But I am getting 30 mpg, and I believe that is due to the balancing issue. I get a wobbling effect when getting up to speeds 50+mph. The shop did a poor job with the balancing.
Take it back to them or have it done somewhere else. Usually Discount Tires does a good job at balancing.
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1990 , crx , honda , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee