Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Avalanche
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Aeshbaugh
AF Newbie

2007 avalanche oil consumption

I bought a used 07 avalanche with 33000 mile on it. Dealer serviced the oil before I bought it. The first 3000 miles I drove the truck, I noticed the oil was down about half to three quarters of a quart. I never checked it after the dealers serviced the truck,(not smart, I know) so I thought maybe they didn't put the required amount in it. I serviced the truck myself. At 40000 miles and 67 percent oil life remaining I got a low oil quantity light on. Checked the oil and it was about 1 quart low. I found no leaks. What would cause an engine with only 40000 mile on it to use this much oil in such a short Time?
Aeshbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907
Re: 2007 avalanche oil consumption

I go 10,000 kilometers (just over 6200 miles) with full synthetic in my 07 between changes and never have to add any oil at all. Yet I used to own a 96 Sierra that would use a least 1 quart between oil changes. Some oil consumption in any engine is ok, but I think that your 07 with only 44000 miles on it uses a bit too much. There should still be warranty on the engine for almost another 16000 miles, I would get it checked by a dealership. Does it ever smoke on start up or at any other time ?

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny-1907 For This Useful Post:
Aeshbaugh (04-04-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeshbaugh View Post
I bought a used 07 avalanche with 33000 mile on it. Dealer serviced the oil before I bought it. The first 3000 miles I drove the truck, I noticed the oil was down about half to three quarters of a quart. I never checked it after the dealers serviced the truck,(not smart, I know) so I thought maybe they didn't put the required amount in it. I serviced the truck myself. At 40000 miles and 67 percent oil life remaining I got a low oil quantity light on. Checked the oil and it was about 1 quart low. I found no leaks. What would cause an engine with only 40000 mile on it to use this much oil in such a short Time?

the engine using 1 quart of regular dino oil in the 3-4,000mile life of this oil is normal. I suggest you forget about the oil life monitor light..replace the oil at the 3-4 thousand mile period.

use high quality oil filters. excessive oil consumption on these newer gm engines may be due to the defective internal crankcase PCV system they now use..make sure the engine is hot when draining out the oil..this is very important to get out the sludge..

synthetic oil I use because it does not create sludge , and I get more MPG in the cold weather ..also I go 8,ooomi on oil changes with filter replacing at the 4,ooomi mark..I use pure one oil filters by purolator or WIX ,,,.
I believe your engine has the new type oil filter.it is very small , and has a check valve that bypasses the oil filter at a low pressure..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
guapoman2000
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 2007 avalanche oil consumption

My good friend who has a 2008 just called me saying that the Dealer where he bought his 08 Avalance is replacing Pistons and other major components on his vehicle. It has yet to reach 80,000 miles. It is directly related to the Engine Oil missing without the Engine Exhibiting any leaks what-so-ever.

I told him that opening up an engine and replacing the pistons/rings on the motor to me is bull, the crank will need to be polished and fit to the new bearings and the cylinders should be cleaned up again no matter how many miles. I would have told the dealer to get bent and they are doing the whole engine or COMPLETE rebuild. I would have been on the horn with GM.

I just do not understand why GM would ill design an Engine to do this?

For example, my daughter had a certain 2001 Pontiac GrandPrix SE with the 3.1 Liter V-6 and right at 80,000 miles it developed an Engine problem that consisted of Coolant entering the Crankcase or in other words the Oil under pressure entered the Engine Oil passing by a brittle, plastic made Intake Gaskets. I paid $1,246 for the repairs and complained to GM at which they told me that the CLASS ACTION SUIT remedy had expired by 6 months. They did send me Voucher towards that purchase of a new GM vehicle in the amount of $2500.00 of which I will perhaps never use and it was for Pontiac and you know what happen to Pontiac, right? Needless to say the quality of the vehicle was above average and I personally liked the car, however, I did not just develop a hate relationship towards GM over-night. It was other examples as such and do not want to bore you with all the details on those examples....

I find just lots of issues with many GM cars and most of them are in the critical components such as the freaking Engines! It is just too bad because the overall design of these vehicles are very attractive, useful and safe, however, the reliability of many of these vehicles using these ill designed Engines screams in the face of massive recalls of which GM will not do unless forced by a Class Action Lawsuit.

Going back to my friend who just called me, I recommended for him to get the GENERAL Manager of the dealership he bought his vehicle to agree in a written arrangement to provide him with future relief should his vehicle encounter Engine problems down the road so, they would not blame him with a lame lack of frequent Oil chances or other excuses. Contacting GM as well to force them to acknowledge his plight with this issue.

Again, repeat after me, there IS NO NEED TO BE REPLACING PISTONS AND OTHER MAJOR INTERNAL ENGINE COMPONENTS on a 2008 vehicle!
guapoman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I agree with your comments. GM is protected by the goverment . toyota however is not. you can see this in the recalls toyota must be forced to go thru.

GM spends alot of money on lawyers. the legal department is where an owner with a GM defect that is very expensive to repair/correct would be directed to . then GM complains of all the lawsuits when owners get nothing to correct defects some just extremely dangerous.

gm plan is stall all these defect corrections as long as possible. the vehicles will for the most part be no longer on the road. that is GM solution to expensive issues.

example ME , 2000 the park brakes made 1500 silverado and others with this setup had defective designed park brakes. these would wear out to zero with not even being used[15-20,ooomi.. this would be revealed when brought it to the state safety inspection . It took 10 yrs for the class action to go thru the courts !

the GM bail out of our taxes paid was a double screw job.

the company should stand behind its products especially with any safety/pollution issues.

the volt vehicle is another example of GM marketing a design flawed vehicle. the charging system/batteries are a defective product. the cost to build this is 70,ooo . 40,ooo is the price. 30,ooo is taxpayer funded.

the prius is a well designed vehicle that is far above the volt in all areas of performance and reliabilty.

If I was told the dealership was to replace the pistons I would sell the vehicle . they cannot do that type of work . the techs at those dealerships are just part changers. the engine after they do that type of work will soon fail.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote