Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 10:31 PM   #16
Tominos
AF Enthusiast

no check engine light so far. the extension is pretty long, maybe about 30 in. long, but as long as its okay, its okay. now i have a clinking noise, i don't know what it can be, for example, when you put it in a higher gear and try to start off, it makes the engine vibrate a little more, so then theres a noise coming from the engine bay, i think its maybe the extension, i ziptied it along the tranny(it was the only way), the plug that connects the o2 to the other connector is maybe vibrating agains the transmission to make that clunking noise. it only happens when the car bogs and the engine is shaking alittle more than usual. has anybody else had this happen with header install? or could it be the header flange vibrating against the cat flange. its not that tight on there, and i can't get the spring bolts any tighter, so may be that too. lots of things, anybody care to share some insight? thanks alot
Tominos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 01:22 AM   #17
riight112
AF Regular

Hey people,

I was looking online and was wondering what the little mesh part on the pic below is. Is that some sort of catalytic converter or am I just dreaming? I've seen it on others too, like the HP Racing header. Please tell me it's a cat! =) Another question I have is I often see a bulg in many cat-back exhaust systems. What is that bulg? I have it on my greddy cat-back exhaus too.

riight112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:34 AM   #18
rx racer
AF Newbie

catalytic converters are for wussys
Old 09-12-2002, 10:01 AM   #19
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
that's a (more) flexible section of pipe, to help the exhaust system survive all the flexing, shaking, expanding, and contracting that it will go through.

the bulge that you refer to is most likely a resonator, used to change the tone of the exhaust. Another possibility is that you're looking at the muffler...
Old 09-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #20
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by riight112
Hey people,

I was looking online and was wondering what the little mesh part on the pic below is. Is that some sort of catalytic converter or am I just dreaming? I've seen it on others too, like the HP Racing header. Please tell me it's a cat! =) Another question I have is I often see a bulg in many cat-back exhaust systems. What is that bulg? I have it on my greddy cat-back exhaus too.

It's a resonator can. It's there to both change the sound of your exhaust, and also to help quiet it down a little bit. Without it, it would be noticable louder to a degree. Exhaust systems typically have resonators with them too, I don't see many headers with them though.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:32 PM   #21
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

for more info on exhaust flex pipes (including pics):

http://www.epiflex.com/newflex.htm
Old 09-13-2002, 12:33 AM   #22
strodda
AF Enthusiast

if i keep the cat. converter, are resonators necessary for staying carb legal?? is their only purpose to change sound?
Old 09-13-2002, 08:27 AM   #23
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

yeah, the only purpose of a resonator (as compared to straight pipe) is to change the sound of the exhaust.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:40 PM   #24
strodda
AF Enthusiast

if i go straight pipe, do i need one to stay legal? and what size pipe should i get?
Old 09-13-2002, 09:09 PM   #25
95cvccvx
AF Regular

I read a few articles that said that if your car is not producing alot of horse power, removing the cat for a straight pipe will only give u an extra 1-1.5 horse's. It also explained that torque stayed the same or drop just a little. I think the best way is to buy a three way hi-flow cat. 1. smog legal 2. police 3, almost same amount of power. If i'm wrong please someone tell me.
95cvccvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:54 AM   #26
fakehatch
AF Newbie

I own a 96 civic with d16y7 and want to get aftermarket haeders. I already have exhaust and cat, but can't find a header for d16y7, if iget one for d16y8-9, will it work????? Thanks
fakehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 AM   #27
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Catalytic Converter / Header????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehatch
I own a 96 civic with d16y7 and want to get aftermarket haeders. I already have exhaust and cat, but can't find a header for d16y7, if iget one for d16y8-9, will it work????? Thanks
If you already have an EX cat and exhaust system, then the Y8/9 header will bolt right up. ALL '96-'00 D-series motors will bolt up to the same headers, meaning an EX header WILL bolt up to a DX motor. It's just if you plan to keep your DX exhaust, that an EX header won't fit and will cause you to have to alter your exhaust system for it to fit and connect correctly.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #28
bmc2213
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bmc2213

hello i also have a d16y7 and i have a full dnx exhaust coming, headers, high flo cat, mid, axle back. what do i need to do to the O2 sensor if anything. and what should i do to pass smog test if any thing. im not in cali or anything im in vt. also could i get the explanation about gas to use again? eg gas to use at smog test and driving gas
bmc2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #29
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

With the money saved from buying aftermarket Cat's, it's worth getting a good local muffler shop todo some Art work welding.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Cabalero7223
AF Newbie

Headers and supercharger

I own a 1981 gmc caballero base model. It is a v6 3.8 L. I am having trouble finding headers and a supercharger that will fit this. Does anyone know if they make these for this or if i have to put a different engine in it. If you can give me a websitei can go to or anything it would really help. Thanks.
Cabalero7223 is offline   Reply With Quote