Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Doyl888
AF Newbie

No point in an engine swap

I found this article a good read but wanted to hear some people's opinions who are experienced in owning a 240 with a swap
http://www.import-autoperformance.co.../SR20swap.html
Doyl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

Re: No point in an engine swap

Quote:
Up to 280 WHP with upgrades (turbo, intercooler, ECU, Injectors, MAF) on stock internals
SR20 stock internal record is 600whp. I'll be running 400whp on an unopened motor shortly.

280 is stock S15 motor with a MBC territory.

Quote:
The KA24DE in your car now will make 220+ HP on 7 PSI (50 more than the SR20DET) and 300+ HP with the same mods you would put on the SR20DET, so why replace it?
If I put a 50Trim on SR it would make 280whp at 7lbs, crap argument.

Quote:
The SR20DET is not sold in the US, so IF you have a problem, no dealer or shop will have a clue what to do with it. If you want parts, you most likely have to order them from Japan and pay through the nose for shipping, then wait months to get said items you paid through the nose for. Example: Need a lower timing gear? Think the dealer can get you one? Not likely, because the dealer doesn't even have a parts listing for the engine. How about a new oil pump? Good luck.
both parts mentioned are readily available. theres not much you'll break on an SR that you can't get the next day if you want to pay for overnight. also, EMS on both those parts would be 20$ from japan in 5 days.

Quote:
The $2500 price looks great, but almost no one gets the swap done for less than $5000 total, so what looks to be a great deal, becomes a great pain in the *** trying to find parts to make the swap go smoothly. Then there are the issues that come with changing all the cables, belts, hoses, and high pressures lines (throttle, clutch, brake master cylinder, Air Conditioning, Power Steering) because these aren't made for that engine, they are made for the KA24DE.
I could get a redtop running in an S13 for 2grand with AC and still be able to laugh my way to the bank.

It would be a crap 1500$ motor, but so are most of the billion mile KA's this guy is telling people to turbo.

Quote:
Downtime: God only knows on this one...How long can you afford to have your car down? Depending on the skill of those doing the swap, figure between 2 weeks and 5 months to get the swap done by the time you wait on all the parts you will need or have them fabricated.
redtop into S13 is easier than turbo kit install, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Quote:
The KA24DE is a STOUT engine, it can handle 15 PSI on stock internals with fuel and ECU upgrades, and is VERY reliable.
15psi on a GT4708? wow let me see that.

now let me revel you about their kit.

The IAP manifold boost creeps like hell.
T3/T4 could mean anything. and they aren't "GT wheels" because they aren't waterbearing and hence not "GT" Turbos. "GT means nothing because G is the designation for watercooled anyway.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Doyl888
AF Newbie

thanks, that actually helped a lot
Doyl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805

It's just the natural order of things for people to think that whatever THEy have is the best, just keep doing your homework and decide what YOU want based on the pros and cons of either way, I picked my engine based on the mill itself, not someone elses opinion, I thought about what I wanted to have when I'm done and went with the engine that I think will do what I want it to. of course the huge hole in the stock block made it pretty easy to decide on a swap.
stang805 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX