Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fiberglassing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Fiberglassing Fiberglasssing explained and the proper techniques on working on a fiberglass project.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
FaCe_MeLtEr
AF Newbie

Custom Dashboard

Say i was to make some sort of fiberglass enclosure for a t.v. or something of the sort for my dash... how do you guys suggest mounting it?
FaCe_MeLtEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

You could mold studs into the fiberglass and then bolt it in from the backside, good and strong. Could also use clips like hold door pannels and such on, pretty strong and easy to remove (or steal). I'm an perfectionist so I'd do the hard thing and make an entire fiberglass dash and have it molded in flush.. but thats just me. If you need any fiberglass help I'm pretty much a composites guru and I'm on the boards everyday.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
FaCe_MeLtEr
AF Newbie

Re: Custom Dashboard

How do you go about molding in the dash?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

unless your dash is smooth or your molding it into a small piece that comes off, like the bezel around the radio or something of that sort, where there is a hard line that seperates it from the rest of the dash, its going to be hard to mold it in flush. You basicly remove the part and cut out the part thats going to be behind the screen so you can access it and mount it and such. Then with a wood template of the accual shape that the screen will mount into you mock up where you want it to be and how you want it to be angled and such, use dowel rods or scraps of wood or something to mock it into place and hot glue it. Then you stretch fleece over the entire thing and glue it around the edges of the bezel and staple it around the edge of the wood ring that the screen will be mounted in. Coat the fleece in a coat of fiberglass resin and let it cure, the fleece will asorb it and make it very hard. Now layer your fiberglass up on top of the feece, you do not need to cover the area that is inside of the wood ring, as it will be removed. Since there doesnt have to be alot of structure to a piece like that because theres not much weight on it I think 4 layers of fiberglass cloth would be think enough. allow the resin to fully cure and then sand it a smooth finish, fill any low spots with body filler. Then you can either prep it for paint or you can cover it vinyl or what ever else you want.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
FaCe_MeLtEr
AF Newbie

How would you go about securing it to the dash? and say i wanted to do it above a driver side air bag... if i cut, will it inflate?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:36 AM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Re: Custom Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaCe_MeLtEr
if i cut, will it inflate?
If you do, get a video. That would be fucking hilarious. Im sorry.

Hey TSC, mind if I add some quick advice? What about getting a new dash from a salvage yard to play with?

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

most cars will not set off the air bag if the battery is unhooked for more than two or three minutes. Drivers side airbags are in the steering wheel so I'm guessing you want to remove the airbag (sell it on ebay, there pretty expensive). I would buy a manual on the car or find one online to see how to remove the airbag. Mounting it to steering wheel would be hard, you'd have to make an an enclosure that wraps around the sides of it to hold it on because theres not really any material to attach it to.

If you go with mounting it on the dash I would suggest fiberglassing studs into it and bolted it to the dash from the back side of it.

GTmike - spare parts are allways good to mess with heh.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
91silvy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 91silvy

TheSilentChamber
I'm just now researching the whole fiberglassing project. When you say fleece, do you mean just like fleece you buy at like the fabrics and craft store? Or is it some special type of fiberglassing fleece? Sorry for the newb-ness.
91silvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #9
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Same fleece you buy at facbric stores. You use it because it stretches in all directions where at most fabrics stretch in only one direction. There is a special fiberglassing fleece you can buy from some places, but its more expensive and its the exact same thing.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:24 PM   #10
zxicemanxz
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zxicemanxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaCe_MeLtEr
Say i was to make some sort of fiberglass enclosure for a t.v. or something of the sort for my dash... how do you guys suggest mounting it?
ok so first off you should start by taking the dash out . after that you could do any cutting you want to. after you cut the dash and fit the mold in you can simply fiberglass it in place . then you are going to wan t to finish it off with body filler. after all that is done i recomend using a high build primer , when dry sand it down and prime again, repeat as necassary until all texture is gone . it will give the dash a smooth finish (like the outside of your car) and then finish off with paint. i have a few photos on my website if you wanna check out what it looks like...ive done this alot and it is a real help when trying top rack up the points at shows

http://www.chopshopcustomsnyc.com/services.htm

that is where the photos are of the civic with the same thing i just told you about . it has an extra hump molded in on the passenger side as well as pods for guages and all the panels were done in the manner in which i just described
Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
69 Rarechero
AF Newbie

so I'm guessing you want to remove the airbag (sell it on ebay, there pretty expensive). I would buy a manual on the car or find one online to see how to remove the airbag

Just remember removing the airbag and installing a video device inthe steering wheel is a federal offence, I would not recommend this.
69 Rarechero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 AM   #12
inandoutaudio
AF Newbie

I am in the process of starting a custom composite fabrication shop , I have built many show winning cars that have had completly fiberglassed interiors, plus we specalize in fabrication of custom fiberglass enclosures, as well as custom body parts. all parts can be wraped in vinyl, carpet, or can be layed up in carbon fiber, or platnum carbon fiber (aluminized) or can be painted.. I would be interested in discussing what you want in more detail so that an accurate price can be established.. feel free to email me for more information..I have pictures of previous work that i have done that i can email to you at your decression..
inandoutaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #13
deemin22
AF Newbie

hit me up.....
deemin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #14
fady.asha
AF Newbie

Hello! i'm wondering where I can find anyone that builds custom fiberglass dashboards for jeep wranglers! a website or anything! thanks!!
fady.asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
jacobsk255
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inandoutaudio View Post
I am in the process of starting a custom composite fabrication shop , I have built many show winning cars that have had completly fiberglassed interiors, plus we specalize in fabrication of custom fiberglass enclosures, as well as custom body parts. all parts can be wraped in vinyl, carpet, or can be layed up in carbon fiber, or platnum carbon fiber (aluminized) or can be painted.. I would be interested in discussing what you want in more detail so that an accurate price can be established.. feel free to email me for more information..I have pictures of previous work that i have done that i can email to you at your decression..
You know <possibly> how to make crappy enclosures that an audiophile would laugh at, as I would myself. Being a custom tooler I make things mostly for reproduction that weigh ounces to their pounds, while being structurally reinforcing components to boot.
jacobsk255 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fiberglassing