Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S60
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Paradisd
AF Newbie

Looking for help, guessing electrical or sensor problems

Hello,

New to this site. Was referred here by one of your members.

I have a 2002 Volvo S60 AWD. 100,200 miles. There seems to be transmission issues, ABS, brake, and traction control problems. The rear brakes appear to either be functioning poorly or not at all. There is surface rust on the rotors even after driving and braking. The front rotors cleaned up as you would expect after a short stop.

First, the two codes I could pull up but can't find and detailed info on are: P0504 and P0571. One is for brake A to B correlation and one is for Brake A something and cruise contol. I do know the AWD does not function when the ABS/traction control lights are on, there is only front wheel drive. The cruise control does not function, the odometer will not funtion, however, if the lights are off, the odometer, AWD, and ABS all work. I have not been able to have the lights stay off long enough to test the cruise control without the lights illuminated.

The transmission, I did have looked at by a tranny shop. They confirmed, there is a valve body issue and that the clutches are wearing. When shifting into drive, there is a 2-3 second delay and then a harsh shift. It also shifts poorly from 2-3 and 3-4 as well as down shifting harshly. It recently started to "bang" into gear on 2-3 upshifts.

I would love to fix this car as it is not sellable or drivable in this condition. I did find a tranny for a reasonable price that I could install, but need some help / advice on the other issues. I can not afford to pay the dealer to fix this for me. Volvo wants $98/hr to look at it and was quite annoyed when I told them I simply wanted diagnostics not repairs.

Thanks in adance if anyone is able to help with any portion of these problems. If there is any other info that would be helpful to sort through these issues, please let me know. I will do my best to accurately describe any problem.
Paradisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
skeeter123
AF Regular

Re: Looking for help, guessing electrical or sensor problems

Check out this thread:

http://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22434

Hope its your Brake Pedal Sensor, other options look more expensive. My experience with local Volvo dealer is that they are way over-priced and tend to find the most expensive solution to any problem.

That led me to find this wonderful device - the "PPC Diagnostic System" which I bought over Christmas from ukobd link below. Be sure to note which models it will work for&not work for; but it works fine for my 2004 S60; should work for any 01-07 S60.

http://www.ukobd.co.uk/component/vir...category_id=14

You can use this volvo scanner to read and clear ALL codes, including transmission and SRS (airbag) codes. Manufacturers website has list of Volvo codes:
http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/codes/
Note Volvo has many ECU's (computer modules) and their codes are like "ECM9400" where they indicate the particular ECU and # in the code. The "Pxxxx" is the legally-mandated OBD code, which may not map nicely to a specific problem.

When my SRS-airbag light was on, my dealer wanted minimum $200 just to read codes, then more $ to do anything about it, even though I knew it just needed to be reset after I repaired the turn-signal switch in the steering column. Taking exchange-rate into account, the scanner cost ~260.00 USD. They are in short supply in the US. It will clear codes, reset Service light, etc... but of course won't fix any hard failure... but at least you'll have a much better idea of where to look for the cause(s) of the problems.

PS- Oh, and have you ever had the automatic transmission fluid changed? Volvo says not required, but they just want to sell you a new one after it craps out from lack of maintenance, hopefully after warrantee period expires. You'll cry when you get that quote. My local dealer wanted ~$700.00 (yep, it starts with a seven) to change ATF. Dealer sells ATF for $16/quart (starts with q), and quoted using 16 quarts. I went to Toyota dealer down the street and got a case of Toyota T-IV (identical 3309 fluid) for $5.04/quart, used 12 quarts to completely flush/refill for $65.

I will cease rant-mode now...
skeeter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
vargasking
AF Newbie

Re: Looking for help, guessing electrical or sensor problems

01 and 02 volvos have been known to have tranny prob. U have to bring to dealer to have a new software loaded. Check out matthewsvolvoforums and follow the thread on tranny prob. on these MY cars. I hope I'm not too late in responding to your ?
vargasking is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S60