Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Which company has the best trucks?
Ford 8 20.00%
Chevy 18 45.00%
Dodge 14 35.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
StreetRacer4Life
AF Newbie

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge

we all know that there has been some serious competition between Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge's trucks, but seriously which one is the best overall? performance, looks, drivability, etc. which one has it all? Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Re: Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge

I've always been a Dodge guy so of course I'm going with them. I really like the Cummins too...a couple weeks ago I went with my friend down to Texas pulling a 26,000 lbs trailer for work there and back and the thing hardly broke a sweat. The Duramax over heated a couple times and was getting pulled all over the road. But I will say that I love the LSX based Chevy engines they have in their trucks.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Which is best? Depends what you want/need, as each brand has a performance "personality".

Please note, my impressions are based on GAS-powered trucks, not diesels.

Dodge - nice trucks, cool-looking, good power but worst gas mileage.

Ford - cutting edge styling in the new generation, quietest and best-riding, but least performance

Chevy/GMC - conservative looks, best power AND mileage, tend to be noisy and hardest-riding

How about some comments on the new BIG Nissan?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
dougger222
AF Regular

Location: Hobby farm in New Richland, city home in Maplewood, Minnesota

Here's how I look at it.

If you want a truck solely for work you buy a Ford. If you want to do both you buy a Dodge. If you want a truck to use as a car you buy a GM.

The half tons are pretty similar but when it comes to the 3/4 and 1 ton truck segment the big three differ.

GM uses independent front suspensions, Ford and Dodge use straight front axles. Ford uses Sterling for it's rear axles both GM and Dodge use American Axle Company which they also use for the front. Ford uses Dana for it's front axles.

To my knowledge GM's ride the softest due to there front axle compared in heavy duty form to the Dodge and Ford.
1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #339 of 500 all original with Recaros
1986 Shelby GLHS #284 of 500 restored to original
1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8 pony interior 4brl carb
Cars sold or parted out in a 3 month period,
2-85 GLHT's, 2-88 Shelby Z's, 87 Shelby Z, 88 Lancer Shelby, 2 85 Shelby Chargers, 89 Shelby Daytona
Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Chevy for many years had the most HP it's class until recently. I am a Chevy fan myself, but not before owning a fords. I know ford has come a long way in it's design, engine and looks. Dodge is a nice truck, but I do prefer Chevy for 1) Quality 2) overall power 3) pretty good looks (until 03 and later). My 93 Chevy had 140K miles on it and never gave me problems I traded it in for a 00 Silverado and it iknow has 143K miles and once again has never given me any problems.

My vote goes to Chevy
Old 02-04-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
knight_jp
AF Newbie

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge... Hmmm.....

This a an age old debate. A friend of mine once said that Ford were generally better built, the same guy today drives a Chevrolet Lumina (rebadged Holden Comodore). Over here in the gulf, there are more Chevy's than Fords in all sectors (cars, SUVs, etc...)

Who makes car and trucks better?... I don't know.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
knight_jp
AF Newbie

Chevy's V8 engine is considered as one the best in the world. Its used in a number of cars and trucks. Ford has an equal reputation. Dodge however is in a league of its own. Their Hemi engines are known everywhere by every petrol head, but you only see them in Dodge cars and trucks. Nowhere else....!!!

By interior standards, Ford and Dodge have a quality feel to them. The Chevy feels a bit cheap.

I'm thinking of buying a custom van. But which would I go for??? There are only two on the market.... Chevy and Ford. I need something with performance and comfort... something that overall is better than the rest. Any ideas out there????
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Honestly, if you are looking for a conversion van.. I think you would really need to try them all out. I think they are all very different in there own way. I would choose Chevy for reliablity, But ford (I must admit) does appear to have more comfortable seating.

Good luck, let us know what you end up getting.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:48 AM   #9
iPoddity
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to iPoddity

Dodge has the best full size pickups

but i think Chevy had the best midsize in the S-10. you can do anything...anything to one! and i wish thats what i had instead of my Dakota =/ hahahaha

In The Works
Audio:
replace stock speakers with Pioneers, plus two tweeters built into the dash or doors. costume sub box in place of center console, still picking subs, probably a pair of eights
Engine & Suspension: Ram air intake, Daul side exhaust, ignition and wires, hoter cam if available, need to learn how to port heads, some kind of cute dress up kit. lowering springs, stiffer shocks, and tie bars, and wheels (Weld Racing perhaps)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoddity
Dodge has the best full size pickups

but i think Chevy had the best midsize in the S-10. you can do anything...anything to one! and i wish thats what i had instead of my Dakota =/ hahahaha
You say Dodge has the best pickups.. why? give us your reason? there are many debates on this.

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
jveik
AF Enthusiast

lol i personally like chevy's just because i grew up riding in one lol... honestly though, chevy's smallblock v-8, especially the 350, is one of the best engines ever made. Newer trucks are more or less the same though... they all have plusses and minuses...
dodges look pretty good and have the cummins, but it seems like dodge now slaps the hemi badge on anything it can... nowdays probably every v-8 powered vehicle they make... it doesnt seem as badass as the old ones do, since they plop it on everything.

chevy's are ugly as hell now, but have great gas engines, dont know about the diesels, i heard they make one that has 360 horsepower and 650 lb/ft of torque, which seems good to me, but i dunno lol... i also like the interior of them and they are pretty damn quick

fords look pretty good and have decent marks across the board, although i dont know much about them...

personally, i like chevy's the best, but anything domestic is fine by me, for pickups at least...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveik
chevy's are ugly as hell now, but have great gas engines, dont know about the diesels, i heard they make one that has 360 horsepower and 650 lb/ft of torque, which seems good to me, but i dunno lol... i also like the interior of them and they are pretty damn quick

I agree with you about the looks of the new (03 and higher) Chevys. I do not like the front end on them as much as I do the 02 and earlier. I am however starting to grow to like them.. like on the SS. they set it up pretty nice as well as the Regency packages too, but just a bone stock chevy front end? yuck!

Dodges look good and I am envious of there Hemi powered engines. but I am not ashamed of Chevy's VHO 310hp 5.3. (more than Titan's POS 305hp) and the 6.0 VMAX 345hp.

And then you have Ford.. so ashamed.. they do not even have an engine over 300hp. However.. I have heard they have the best front end and strongest frame of all three trucks. There torque rating is pretty good for the size engine they have.

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
Prandtl
AF Newbie

Ford makes the best full size truck right now hands down. Ground clearance and frame stability are better than chevy. Four wheel disk brakes, shocks mounted outside the frame rails, over head cam (non-push rod motor), 3 valves per cylinder. Its a no brainer for me--too bad I cant afford one right now. lol
Old 09-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
jveik
AF Enthusiast

well i think we should all just get along and start making fun of nissan titans and crap lol... what has happened to people!!! some are buying trucks based on how comfy the seat is or how pretty the guages are... they make me sick and can eat my sh..... well you know what i mean lol...

everyone knows that second only to women, the best thing in the world is cruising down a windy highway in top gear with your old-ass, rickety, rusty but trusty chevy, ford, or dodge pickup that doesnt even have compression on a couple cylinders, with the windows rolled down, them badass vent windows open, cigarette lit, and the old radio playing AC/DC's "for those about to rock" with as much volume as its 30-year old speaker(s) can muster...

THAT is what i call a truck!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prandtl
Ford makes the best full size truck right now hands down. Ground clearance and frame stability are better than chevy. Four wheel disk brakes, shocks mounted outside the frame rails, over head cam (non-push rod motor), 3 valves per cylinder. Its a no brainer for me--too bad I cant afford one right now. lol

Wrong on ground clearance, suprise to me too but all Chevy's hvae over 10 inches of ground clearance, more than Ford and Dodge, and I can prove it if needed. My aunt's boyfriend works for Toyota and can back this up, as testing for the new Toyota they had a obstacle course and the Ford couldn't got through it because of it's low ground clearance. Also, the Chevy half ton was the fastest truck there. I think that Ford might build the best heavy dute truck but their engines suck compared to Chevy's, as do their trannsmissions. Over head cam does not mean it's a better engine, especially when it's in a truck and they need torque. It's funny how Chevrolet has been using pushrods all their years, and they're still the most powerful and get the best mileage. If you compared all three 3/4 ton trucks, a Chevy 6.0 vs. Ford 5.4 vs. Dodge 5.7 Hemi, guess which one outpulls the other? My dad's 99 6.0 can pull over 12,000 lbs with 32inch tall tires and 3.73 gearing. When it comes to Diesel's Cummins and Duramax rule the world. Do some research on some forums and you'll agree with me. Lately though with the LBZ's and LB7's the Cummins have had some seriously tough competition.

Ford's are a good work truck but you'll have problems with them just like any other truck, and half the time worse. But you'll notice that they are used as work trucks more than any other truck out there. If you want a truck for the street that pulls good and gets you there get a Dodge. But IMO you just can't beat Chevy's enignes, transmissions, or general purpose. They truly are the longest lasting truck out there. As far as diesel's go, any one of them will pull anything you need them too, but why pick a truck that doens't have an Allison?

Edit: HOLY BATMAN this thread was older than I thought...whoops!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical