Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 10:27 PM   #1
s13racer
AF Newbie

300zx na to turbo

well i want to get a 300zx but i read some where that u can not turbo a non turbo 300zx i want to know if i can put a turbo on a n/a z thanks for ur time:bandit
s13racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 01:59 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
It is not impossible...a friend of mine did the swap himself but it's just easier to buy a TT than to make the conversion...for my friend he came out like :bandit: b/c he only paid like 1600 for the motor and tranny since the owner was going to jail...and the person left behind just decided to sell it and get rid of it...so it is possible...but you can find TT's...

www.twinturbo.net
www.zcar.com
www.z32.org
www.zdriver.com

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

What year is it? If it's a Z31 (84-89), it's a pretty simple part-switching procedure, moving stuff to accomodate the different belt system, etc. If you're simply trying to convert an N/A to a factory turbo, you just need to find a turbo in the junkyard and steal the motor. You can hodgepodge together an N/A motor and a turbo motor, or get a kit. I'm not sure who makes turbo kits for the VG30E, but I'm sure somebody does. Now, for the Z32, as SPDR said, it's possible. But I wouldn't try it. There are enough TTs out there you might as well just look for one.

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #4
whamel
AF Newbie

You know, I've been thinking - since I don't need all the capability of the vg30dett in my '90 n/a - what about a single turbo kit? Once it comes down to end resulting price it probably wouldn't be worth the effort - or would it? Perhaps something simple like a T3/T4 turbo (perhaps another model might work better) with maybe 6p boost. Nothing too terribly extreme but something to give it a little extra kick in power. Any thoughts on upgrading a 90+ to a single turbo rather than doing the swap for the full TT? I've looked at what the supercharged swap might entail and I'm not ready to give up my accessories either - so that's pretty much out. Even if it never gets any better - I am honestly quite happy with my car and its performance as it stands.
Personally I consider the twin swap into the N/a quite a bit more time and money than I could justify. I priced out what it might take to do it and honestly I could get a twin turbo for cheaper if I got good average value for my NA. I could perhaps understand the attempt if twin turbos were incredibly tough to find or had a larger difference in price. I'm not faulting those guys who think about it though - hey, More power is More better, right?
On the other hand - following the staged upgrade charts - I really could never see my needing to have anywhere CLOSE to 430hp in my car on the street anyway!
whamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:48 AM   #5
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

Check this out: Staged Upgrades It shows you roughly what I would do. As you can see, it wouldn't be that hard to get hp numbers close to a Twin Turbo. Actually, you match or better a few of them (the '96 model, for example). Many people discount the NA prematurely. If you're not looking for oodles of power, a modded NA makes a great street car. Remember, no turbo lag.

But, if you're like me and forced induction is in your blood, you should be able to do a single turbo without too much trouble. The most difficult thing to get for most custom turbo setups is the exhaust manifold. Lucky for you, single turbo conversions are not that uncommon. This may surprise you, but they generally yield a considerably higher amount of power than stock. This is thanks to all the exhaust gas flowing through a huge turbocharger. That's gonna give you tons of lag, though. My suggestion would be to get that T3/T4 (ball-bearing preferably). 6 psi shouldn't be hard to hit at all. Stock TTs push about 7 psi. Remember, all that gas is going to the same turbo, which is a bit more efficient. It'll be simpler too, with fewer oil lines and less intake piping. And although there are full turbo manifolds, you can simply cut down some TT manifolds a little and weld on a custom 2-1 pipe. That's pretty minimal fabrication.

It sounds to me like you'd probably be best off just putting some good mods on your NA. The VG30 is a terrific motor, and the usual intake+exhaust+ecu formula does wonders for it. I think you'll be more than satisfied since you said stock made you pretty happy. It'll certainly be cheaper than going turbo and much easier to find what you need. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Good luck.

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:35 PM   #6
defuse411
AF Newbie

here is the whole lay out on how and what you need.

NA & TT differences and Conversion hints.
Russell Floyd
ZX Connection (Exclusively Z32)
Used parts, service, performance, sales.
zxparts@mindspring.com
770-562-8668
I have gathered all this info over the past couple years. I have tons of TT and NA parts to look at and a Nissan Computer system at my disposal, so you can bet that this info is accurate.

ENGINE
1. The blocks are the same. They both have oil squirters that direct oil towards the underside of the piston, although they point at slightly different angles, they are still interchangeable. They have all of the same oil passages. Two passages are plugged with a bolt on the NA block (one on each outside face that feed the turbos on a TT). The TT has two oil passages plugged inside where the oil filter bracket mounts, the NA has two small check valves in this location. They are plugged in the TT so that the oil will go through the lines to the oil cooler, which returns back to the oil pan.
2. The crankshaft is the same.
3. Connecting rods ARE the same!! (Same Nissan part #)
4. Piston rings, and Crankshaft (main) bearings are the same. The rod bearings are the same size but the TT ones are a different alloy.
5. Of course the pistons are different because of lower compression ratio in the TT.65. Oil pumps are different. They mount the same but I assume the TT one is higher capacity.
6. Oil filter bracket on a TT is different it has an outlet that accommodates the hose going to the oil cooler.
7. Cams, Lifters, and valve springs ARE the same (90-93)(same Nissan Part #) The Auto TT has different intake cams (lower lift) but the intake cams on the 5 speed TT, NA, and auto NA are the same. All the exhaust cams are the same. The 94-95 cams were different than the 90-93 but just like the earlier ones they are all the same except for the intake cams on the auto TT. The 96 cams were all the same.
8. The valves are all the same size. But the exhaust valves on a TT are made from a stronger alloy.
9. Nissan claims the bare heads are different but I no longer believe it. I used to think the thickness was different but after some measurements I believe they are the same and have been using them interchangeably (just making sure the exhaust valves are the stronger TT ones)
10. The oil pan is different because the TT one has 2 tubes protruding on the sides where the oil return hoses for the turbos mount and another one for the hose returning from the oil cooler.
11.The turbo engine obviously has a few different accessories and systems to accommodate the turbos. The exhaust manifolds on the TT are much shorter than the NA ones, which go all the way down and tie into the exhaust section including the catalytic converters. The turbos are oil lubricated and water cooled. So there are oil and water feed and return lines.
12. The throttle bodies are the same size but the passenger side one is different on a TT simply because one of the water lines attached to the bottom of it has a junction in it to feed water to one turbo.
The upper and lower intake manifolds are the same TT and NA although the 94 up ones are different from the earlier ones.

ELECTRICAL
1. Nissan claimed the TT coil packs were different a couple years ago and charged a lot more for them. I checked them and found that they were the same and now Nissan lists them as the same.
2. Of course the ECU is different.
3. The Main engine harness is different also, but a NA harness will work in an TT, you just wont have the connections for the boost control solenoids which you don’t need anyway if you have a boost controller.
BTW, you can change the Engine harness without removing the dash, but you must remove the glove box and maybe the AC Evaporator unit under the dash.
4. If converting NA --> TT, I would leave the interior harness and gauge cluster alone. They will work with the TT setup. Get a stand alone boost gauge because the stock one sux. You probably wouldn't add the Hicas system or stock electronic adjustable suspension to a NA so you will not need the TT interior harness.
5. MAF, PTU, TPS, IAA, AIV, EGR, O2 sensors, Detonation sensor, Coolant temperature sensor are all the same.
6. The electrical AC Condenser fan is different on a TT. The motor has three wires (2 speed) going to it as opposed to two (one speed) on the NA.
7. The starters are all the same

OTHER DRIVETRAIN
1. If converting most people would keep the NA rear differential, because a lot of TT owners switch to it anyway. It has a lower ratio (4.08 compared to 3.67) that will decrease your top speed but enhance take off.
2. As long as you keep the NA rear diff, the NA driveshaft will work. The TT driveshaft will not work with an NA diff.
3. The NA and TT have the same 5 speed transmission model #, same splines on input and output shafts, etc. and the housings are the same except for one small difference. The spot where the starter mounts on the bellhousing on the TT is machined a little differently so that the starter will properly engage the slightly larger diameter flywheel and so that the flywheel teeth won’t scrape the inside of the bellhousing. You can use an NA 5 speed in a TT but you just have to shim the starter out a little with some flat washers and sometimes grind a little out of the inside of the bellhousing so the TT flywheel will fit inside.
If trying to use a TT trans in an NA you would either have to grind down where the starter mounts so that it could engage the smaller NA flywheel or just use the TT flywheel, which could be used with TT or NA clutch.
The automatic transmission is different for a TT, but the NA auto would still fit in place behind the TT engine. Although, they are different lengths and you would have to use the corresponding driveshaft. Both autos are geared virtually the same but the TT one is built for heavier duty.
4. The speed sensor in the transmission is also different, which has a different size gear for NA and TT because of the different ratios in the diff. But if you are using a NA diff you need a NA speed sensor.
5. For the five speed the TT clutch has a larger contact face, a stronger pressure plate and a slightly larger diameter flywheel. You can use a TT flywheel in an NA by shimming out the starter but can’t use a NA flywheel in a TT without cutting down the spot where the starter mounts to the TT transmission. The TT’s also included a clutch booster assembly because of the stronger pressure plate. The clutch pedal and master cylinder were different because of a vacuum assisted clutch booster inside the firewall. The booster included two plastic tanks for vacuum storage also, one under the drivers fender and one under the clutch master cylinder and a network of hoses connecting them all. You don’t have to add this setup when doing a conversion the clutch pedal will just be stiff but its not unbearable.

OTHER STUFF
1. The Radiator and AC Condenser are MUCH different. They are much narrower on a TT so the intercooler piping can go around each side. The front lower core support is also different (but can be modified to work with a little cutting and welding) because the TT radiator and condenser mount farther down into it because they are taller to make up for the difference in width. There are some differences in the AC lines also.
1. You can use the NA power steering pump and system with the TT as most people know. Many TT owners buy the NA system and eliminate the HICAS. The mounting brackets for the PWS pump are different for the TT and NA.
2. The TT alternator is higher output but they are interchangeable.
3. The AC Compressors are the same.
4. The TT has all of that intake/turbo/intercooler piping, intercoolers, and recirculation valves. This can be the most expensive and difficult thing to put on a NA. It isn’t easy to find used and is one of the main reasons I recommend buying an entire wrecked TT for parts if you are trying to convert from an NA.
5.The exhaust is all different for the TT. Although if you get the J-spec downpipes (which are stock in Japan in the place of our precats) an NA exhaust will bolt right up and work fine but I recommend at least getting the performance cat-back which with the J-spec down pipes and NA cats will be a nice free-flowing setup.
6. The fuel system is also different. The fuel pump and fuel pump control units are different corresponding to the higher output TT injectors. The fuel rail, filter, pressure regulator, and dampener are all the same.
defuse411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
300zxdreamcar
AF Newbie

Post Re: 300zx na to turbo

on the swap list
everything is correct
besides like one huge factor
not the motor,not any thing transmission wise, or eletrical , fuel and all that is correct

the big thing is the body up front is different other wise know as the front clip
i dont have to say if you ever been up under the hood
i know we all have
i the 300zx n/a and the 300zx tt
everything is a slam fit
the front clip on the 300zx tt is differnt to allow room for pipes and such
please let me know if this helped
300zxdreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: 300zx na to turbo

Well since this thread is seven years old I would imagine he's either done the swap or moved on by now.

The Past Z Forums is a fairly low traffic area. As a general rule of thumb if it's not on the front page it's too old to post in.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #9
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: 300zx na to turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_**** View Post
Well since this thread is seven years old I would imagine he's either done the swap or moved on by now.

The Past Z Forums is a fairly low traffic area. As a general rule of thumb if it's not on the front page it's too old to post in.
Fairly Low? It has become non-existent.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote