Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
13secondcivic
AF Fanatic

Is "SUSPGUY" still around? or whoever that was that was selling his struts?

The guy who had those struts he was always bragging about? SUPSGUY? is he still around? need an email or reply....need struts!

-2000 Honda Odyssey
PRI cold air intake
Thermal based exhaust
RC bored throttle body
Wings West body kit
SPEEDY ATIX5 18" rims
225/45-ZR18 Contisports
Tanabe 2.25 inch drop springs
CDT Audio HD speakers

Coming soon:
-Nitrous express 75 hp N2O kit!
-RT free flow cat
13secondcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:29 PM   #2
texan
Writer Mod

You don't want them, and I won't allow him to prey upon unsuspecting victims here. If you want stock shock valving in a shortened case, just get a hacksaw out and go to work .
Old 02-02-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Wow texan, you are the first person Ive heard actually say something negative about those things. Back on the old PH all these people kept saying they were so great. (note that many of these people didnt even have them)

I always wondered where he was getting the shocks from, and I even considered them myself for a while.
piscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:34 AM   #4
13secondcivic
AF Fanatic

hmmm, interesting. He was supposed to send me a set for 'review' a long time back, when PH was still here....oh well, guess it's Tokico's

-2000 Honda Odyssey
PRI cold air intake
Thermal based exhaust
RC bored throttle body
Wings West body kit
SPEEDY ATIX5 18" rims
225/45-ZR18 Contisports
Tanabe 2.25 inch drop springs
CDT Audio HD speakers

Coming soon:
-Nitrous express 75 hp N2O kit!
-RT free flow cat
13secondcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
texan
Writer Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by piscorpio
Wow texan, you are the first person Ive heard actually say something negative about those things. Back on the old PH all these people kept saying they were so great. (note that many of these people didnt even have them)

I always wondered where he was getting the shocks from, and I even considered them myself for a while.
Well, I was a bit tossed last night, I suppose I did pop off a little harshly on the subject.

But look, I am interested in performance suspensions. I talked a little bit with suspguy a long time ago when I was moderating the excellent suspension forum that SHO had, and never did speak highly of those suspension parts. IMO, if you are looking for looks and decent ride from a suspension without increased performance, you should be looking at an airbag suspension. You can dump your car as low as you want with those things, and raise it back up at any time while maintaining a somewhat smooth ride a higher ride heights. From the few people I know who have them, they're also cheap.

However, if you are interested in performance, you need to spend the money to get the good stuff. Whether it be homemade or something from the aftermarket, high quality shock absorbers are difficult and complex to build, especially adjustable ones. Which is why even single adjustable Koni's cost upwards of $450 dollars, and their shortened rod length DA's cost something around double that.

So whether you are interested in the purely looks side of suspension mods (which I do not suggest much on, since I don't know much about it) or the performance aspects of a new setup, the Bec Techs are not good purchases. All I've seen lately here is people asking about how to find this guy, since he either owes them money or something else and has not been heard of since mid-last year.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:49 PM   #6
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
I understand what you mean texan, I can see how you would be aggravated or whatever. I was weary about ordering from this guy too, even though I really was considering it my prime option for lowering. The first sign was how hard he was to get a hold of, since he "was always busy making new suspensions". The second one, was a friend of mine who heard about it, said "I'd just like to know what exactly it is he is using and rebuilding to make these shocks?". That was enough to sway me away from them. I guess it goes back to a reoccuring theme Ive picked up from the many honda tech boards Ive surfed; If you want to do something, take the time, save the money, and try do it right the first time.

Anyway, doesnt seem like you were too harsh, I was just surprised because I never heard anyone say they weren't great. Ive read a bunch of your posts, and I give a lot of respect to your advice and info...Basically, Im saying its good to have you around to clear stuff up like this!
piscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:10 AM   #7
Kohhal
AF Enthusiast

I was riding on Bec-Techs(with Eibach pro-kit springs) for almost a year before I changed them.
Originally, I just wanted the lowered look and wanted to be able to set the car to any height I wanted, I wasn't really interested in performance then, just lowered nicely and riding like stock. So the Bec-Techs were for me, at least at the time. They were ok, comfortable cruising but bouncy on uneven roads and were too soft when cornering. But if it was a lowered, comfy, cruising ride you were after, they were good.
I've since changed to KONI true coilovers, and the difference is night and day. The ride, pretty much like stock, not harsh, not bouncy, just very nice and with height and ride adjustment it really is a world of difference. And the quality of the KONI suspension, top notch!
That's just my experiences.....
For the horrors that you sent
To our misfortunate forefathers
Whom you robbed of their birthright
"To hell or Connaught" may you burn in hell tonight
Kohhal is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels