Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
1998 Savana
AF Newbie

Fuel System Problem

I just had my van shipped and it arrived in Malawi with a dead battery (the shipping company turkeys didn't disconnect the battery, while it sat in a container for four months). After installing a new battery I now have a problem that it will turn over, but not stay on. When you hold a gas-soaked rag near the air intake (the aluminum one behind the air filter) it runs a little while longer. The air filter is new, and clean.

I suspect the fuel system/pump. I checked the fuse boxes, but there is only (visible at least) a 5-point fuse relay for the fuel pump; I saw no fuses in the diagrams for the fuel pump (all are for the ignition or the crank, which, since it starts, should not be the problem). Is it located elsewhere? If so, where?!?!

I realize that it could be a clogged fuel filter, the fuel pump itself, or (hopefully not) the computer, but I'd like to go from the cheapest possible solution first. Until I do, I've got a nice two-and-a-half-ton paperweight.

Also, if I do have to remove the fuel pump, do I have to drop the tank?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
1998 Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
jeep lover
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel System Problem

Jeep Lover here. My '97 Savana fuel pump went out a couple of years ago, and yes, you have to drop the tank. I had a warning, my fuel gauge sending unit which is attached to the fuel pump, went out first, and there is actually a repair part for that (of course, you have to drop the tank for that also). Before I had the sending unit fixed, the pump went out, and when it did, it did it right. I stopped for gas, got in the car and it would not start. So Iwas able to get both fixed at the same time for one labor bill to drop the tank.
jeep lover is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana