Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > TR7
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:04 AM   #16
TRishaTR
AF Newbie

I've heard of this conversion, but it's not very common and almost unheard of here in the UK. Is this the same/similar to that pushed by Johns Cars in Dallas? I'd love to know how you get on.... and if you wish to submit the tale (and pics) on the TR7 websiteTriumphTR7.com (No.1 ranked by google - if searching for 'triumph tr7' and No.2 if it's 'tr7' ).

Oh and of course I am biased... the TR7 is cool , not the fastest and it's certainly a love/hate. And please everyone scrap their FHC and convert their poxy 2.0l 4 cylinders to something bigger cuz that'll make mine really unique
TRishaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:46 AM   #17
Kiddo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kiddo
Well, I'm not sure if the SHO idea will take off but it's still on the drawing board. A friend of mine mentioned that another good option might be a 3.8 liter pontiac v6 w/ supercharger.

Then again, everyone's trying to convince my to just restore it and not modify because "it will be more valuable". I'm trying to decide whether or not I care how 'valuable' it is. So I'll probably be doing the cosmetic stuff first while I waffle over whether or not to keep the mechanicals stock.

-Jeff
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:20 PM   #18
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Poor little Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddo
Well, I haven't started yet but you may have heard tell of successful conversions to a v6 taurus SHO engine for the little guy.

Would make an interesting swap, but isnt the SHO engine the Mazda/Yamaha engine? and so only ever used in FWD?
A conversion to RWD is of course possible, but finding a g/box and or adaptor plate that will take it could be a real challange.

The 3.8L Pontiac/Buick/Holden V6 would be a far better choice, especialy the later generation engines if you can be bothered with the Electronics (the early engines make excellent power on a Holley carb however). I saw one in a Reliant Schimatar the other day, for such a big capacity engine its surprisingly compact, and will easily make more hp than the Rover V8.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #19
Brook Cely
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Re: Poor little Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Would make an interesting swap, but isnt the SHO engine the Mazda/Yamaha engine? and so only ever used in FWD?
A conversion to RWD is of course possible, but finding a g/box and or adaptor plate that will take it could be a real challange.

The 3.8L Pontiac/Buick/Holden V6 would be a far better choice, especialy the later generation engines if you can be bothered with the Electronics (the early engines make excellent power on a Holley carb however). I saw one in a Reliant Schimatar the other day, for such a big capacity engine its surprisingly compact, and will easily make more hp than the Rover V8.
I am now doing a change-over to my TR7 to a 231(3.8L) Buick V6. In the US there are so many 231's and so many performance upgrades available that it was a no brainier for me. The value of the Original TR7 is so low that it can't hurt to change it over. The motor I'm building for my TR7 will produce around 235HP and will be a rocket in disguise. I look forward the chance to drive my TR7 with the power it should have had from the beginning. I have seen a few web pages about the SHO change-over and while it has been done it was difficult, expensive, and required a lot of custom fabrication. If you don't have the cash and the skills, don't try that one!!! John's Cars sells some great kits for change-overs for all types of cars. I recommend that you do a lot of research and consider you goals for the car, the budget you have available, and your own ability before you begin. The transformation of a front drive engine will be a big challenge. You should look for a rear drive that will meet your needs first. Even the 231ci Turbo from The Buick Grand National will fit!!! (That would be scary).
Good luck
Brook Cely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #20
speed_racer_16v
AF Newbie

TR7 mods:

I've heard of a TR7 with a Jag V12 shoehorned in - tended to break traction in any gear!!

And lets not forget those few factory TR7 Sprints with the 16v head - still not as good as a Dolomite Sprint, but that's my personal opinion : )

1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
speed_racer_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #21
Adamsindrey
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Adamsindrey
i thoguht it was just the rally tr7s tht got the sprint engine?

Your rite on there! Im gonna get myslef a dolly sprint one day, got a dolly 1300 at the mo!
Adamsindrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:16 AM   #22
bryan the every
AF Newbie

im currently doing a engine swap with a TR7 and a buick.

the engine to my TR7 died earlier this year in august with a blown head gasket. rather then fix it, i decided to go purchase a new 4.1 buick grand national motor to drop in, along with a camero tranny for a mere 300 bucks.

i've been working on the engine swap for the past 3 months with my dad and its progressing quite well. im very eager to see how this sleeper will preform.

here are some pictures.

the engine: you can actually see the old TR7 engine in the backround.

the car: which needs some body work, but hey, makes for a better sleeper.

bryan the every is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 AM   #23
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Very cool swap, thats a big hunk of Iron to stick in the front, let us know how the swap goes.

I wonder what sort of brake parts they used on the TR7.
The beauty of most of the other Triumph models was the commonality of most of the front suspenion parts, its quire easy to fit 2500TC front brakes to a spitfire for example.
But the TR7 came from a differnt generation of cars?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #24
bryan the every
AF Newbie

things are going pretty great.

we're just about to wrap it up this weekend. we have the left exhaust to fabricate and then just gotta wire everything up.

heres another photo.

bryan the every is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #25
AngryMonkey
AF Newbie

I currently own and are builing up (i woldnt say restoring) two TR-7'S a coupe and a convertible. The rag top i have near finished, i put a souped up Mazda rx7 turbocharged rotary into it. I have also discovered that you can take away that wedge shape by removing the bumpers and put on a costme made fiberglass airdamn side and rear skits, kinda pricey but defenitly inproves the looks. Gives it a near modern look. Now the coupe i plan on putting a 5 speed supercharged EFI 347 stroker (from my wrecked 88 tbird) into it. I wondering is the any good front and rear end replacements for this carid realy like to get away from th four bolt drive train and put a five bolt system and a fuly independent rearend. Whats out there that small enough to fit but strong enough to hold up to near 500 h.p
AngryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #26
foolishdreamer
AF Newbie

I have a 1980 TR7, and I just need a throttle linkage/assembly, mine came without it. Can anybody help me?
foolishdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #27
dustin7837
AF Newbie

Hey guys, just found this forum.
About 3 or 4 years ago I bought a 1976 triumph Tr7 with the body and interior in semi decent shape, got it cheap!

Thing is, it has a toyota 18-RG 16v with double twin solex mikuni carbs. This engine can rev Crazy high, but it has some valve issues, and from what I have researched, you need special shims to set the valves and I cant locate any in north america.

I am just going to start a nissan rb20DET (205hp) swap into my MG midget, but once that's done I plan to do a swap for the TR7

SO, I am just wondering what the best engine would be for this car? I love the handleing of this thing, it drifts corners so nicely!

I have a chevy 350 4 bolt main sitting on my garage floor, freshly rebuilt, but 350's are heavy and only push about 180 hp and 200 something ft/lbs. So I was thinking about a lighter, more powerful fuel injected engine.
Maybe another SR20DET like my MG is getting, but I was thinking a nissan RB25DET would be sweet! Inline 6, 265hp turbo w/ 5 speed.

Has anyone seen an engine swap in a TR7 with a fuel injected engine?
dustin7837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #28
Adamsindrey
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Adamsindrey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py0Njf5o9dE

Cossy engine anyone? Thats a Triumph Dolomite btw, fitted with a 700hp Cosworth YB engine.
Adamsindrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #29
GRNDSM
AF Newbie

Well guys, V8 is not the only option for waking up a TR7. This my idea of using original displacement (2.0L) 4 banger…

More info here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999
GRNDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #30
TR7rebuild
AF Newbie

Recently I was left a 1976 Triumph TR7, from my father before he passed this year. The car needs alot of work, the engine is shot some minor body damage and the like. I live in a small town and there are an abudance of Chevy 350 small blocks here and I have found that it would fit inside the TR7. My problem is I haven't been able to find any information on converting to this. I know everyone says Rover or Buick but with the ease of getting the 350 I would like to go to that. Can anyone help, is there someone out there that has completed this?
TR7rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > TR7