Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

hesitation/jerk 2001 Regal LS 10-15 mph

I have recently started having an issue with 2001 Buick Regal LS 84K miles, bought used.. After it is warmed up a bit, when I accelerate from a stop, and going between 10-15-20 mph or so, the are 2 jerks/hesitations one after the other. Dont hear anything from the tranny, so not even sure that is the problem. Just replaced plugs. Checked tranny oil, looks ok. Reddish brown color. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what i should be looking at or other symptoms should be checking? Am very much a novice at cars, but willing to learn. Much obliged to you good folks in advance.
DaKingBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: hesitation/jerk 2001 Regal LS 10-15 mph

It sounds like a possible shift solenoid issue. Your best bet would be to get the car scanned and see if there are any trans related codes stored. BTW, the free scans offered by Advance/Auto-Zone cannot access these types of driveline codes, only a full-function scan tool can.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

thanks a bunch Rich, you mean one of those scanners you buy at auto zone will work? also I was reading a few threads, and came upon something interesting..in the past I have had issues with removing the key from ignition, ( havent had it for like a few months *knock on wood*)every now and then it will lock and I cant get the key out..have to wait a while, sometimes a minute sometimes longer, then I hear a click and can get the key out..someone also had this problem, and one reply said it was the "shift interlock solenoid" problem....is this the same as the shift solenoid you mentioned? coincidence? thanks for your help
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

No, the shift solenoid is in the transmission and controls when the trans shifts from one gear to the next. THe cheap scan tools offered by Zone/Advance, etc... cannot pull trans related codes. You will need a professional type like a GM Tech-II or Snap-On MT/MTG2500 to pull this info.

The key release solenoid works in connection with the brake light and PRNDL switch to only allow the key to be removed with the car in park and the engine off. If you have a floor shift model, it could have had some liquid spilled in it at some time (coffee, kids juice, soda, etc...) that is causing it to stick. Another cause for this is a weak battery, or dirty/corroded battery cables.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

thanks Rich..I friend of mine just drove the car, and he said it could be the mounts causing the shuddering? I have been seeing some posts here too about problems with the solenoid in 2001 regal tranny? am going to get it scanned like you suggested too..will let you know what issues pop up..thanks again
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

well Rich, took to mecahinc, who scanned a P1811 code, wish is what you said..he is not a tranny guy, so he called the tranny guy and said that replacing the solenoids ($500 job) doesnt work? he wants to do a 1700 job on it..he said he has seen many of these issues with Pontiacs, and just replacing the solenoid doesnt cut it? any thoughts? better to do it all? or do the solenoids, and if still a problem do the rest..as always thanks for the insight..maybe second opinion at aamco?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
BNaylor
AF Moderator

That is not true. I had the PCS solenoid replaced at around 75K miles with no further parts or a rebuild. You do not have enough mileage on yours to waste money. $500 is about right.

Try a basic tranny service consisting of pan drop - ATF (Dextron-III) and screen filter first. A little Lubegard, Lucas or Sea Foam additive wouldn't hurt either.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

just went to aamco for second opinion, and they too say gotta do the rebuild (1700)...started rattling off need this and that and the other thing...these guys yanking my chain? have read that some guys just replace the solenoid, runs ok for a while, then same problem..some posts say they just live with it..guess this is a serious issue with these trannys..this is the first Gm car I ever bought, always bought Japanese, and never a tranny issue..taking to a dealer for opinion next..wonder what they are gonna say? lol (maybe 1700?) they must all know each other..also is a new transmission cheaper than a rebuilt one? just got laid off after 29 years and want to get the most bang for the buck I can..appreciate the help guys..wish I had known about these sites years ago..could have saved a bundle
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
DaKingBos
AF Newbie

hey BN, read in another of your posts that adding lubeguard or sea foam worked for you? would rather just try this at first, as you say have nothing to lose at this point..I guess it worked for you??..would a flush help? have 84K miles, have read good and bad things about a flush..
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Don't do a complete fluid flush/replacement at your mileage. Do a simple trans filter service, and replace only the fluid that you drain out of the pan when you drop it to change the filter. Those trans fluid flushes/exchanges are asking for trouble. Most times, it will result in trans failure within a few thousand miles after having it done. With the trans code you have, I would have all three shift solenoids and the PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid) valve changed while you're at it.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKingBos
hey BN, read in another of your posts that adding lubeguard or sea foam worked for you? would rather just try this at first, as you say have nothing to lose at this point..I guess it worked for you??..would a flush help? have 84K miles, have read good and bad things about a flush..
On my GTP it didn't help but on our Regal LS it worked. You really have nothing to lose to try it before shelling out the big bucks. To date over 123K miles and no PCS problems. It works for some for others a no go.

And I agree a flush would not be a good idea due to the possible side effects after it is done and considering you have 84K miles.

Try running a full 16 ounces of Sea Foam through first for a few hundred miles. Then do a pan drop replacing the screen filter and the ATF. Most of the ATF will be drained out with the exception of what is stuck in the torque convertor. After service is done then add a bottle of LubeGard which is 8 ounces.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I should probably clarify my advice. I forgot to say I too would try the Seafoam first, as it is inexpensive, won't hurt a thing, and could cure your issue. I didn't want it to seem, by lack of mention, that I didn't think it was worth trying.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal