Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
griffi
AF Newbie

Smile a/c line clogged

I have water filling up the passenger side rear and front floor boards,in a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Estatewagon.I have heard an ac line can get clogged and cause this.Any at home fix it solutions?Thx

Last edited by griffi; 09-30-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the type of car
griffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Otakon1983
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Otakon1983
Re: a/c line clogged

It's not necessarily an ac line that gets clogged causing this problem. If there is a lot of water in the floorboard then i would suspect a bad heater core. But if it is just condensation then the problem is that the tube that allows condensation to drip out is plugged up. Usually with leaves or other dirt. If you look under the hood on the pass side of the car you should be able to find a rubber tube hanging from the airconditioning assembly. just get a coat hanger and try to run it in and out of that tube a few times. I'll be you get a lot of old water and leaves come out of it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
griffi
AF Newbie

The water only appears when I am running the ac.I looked from the top of the engine and could not see any hose going straight down.One I think connected onto a metal tube and went into the front passenger side firewall.There's a lot of metal under this car,as I remember and not much else to see from beneath.Thx for reply,this has been posted for some time now.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Otakon1983
AF Newbie

Wink Re: a/c line clogged

Here's a pic of what you should look for. Inspect the evaporator drain tube for blockage, clear as required. Install a 90 degree rubber drain tube over the existing tube, pointed downward, as illustrated. This will allow the water to drain down away from the evaporator opening. I hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
griffi
AF Newbie

This is what I got.Seems like they are all pressure lines and looks like a job for a mechanic.You think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05166.jpg (97.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05167.jpg (99.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05168.jpg (100.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05170.jpg (94.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05169.jpg (92.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
Otakon1983
AF Newbie

all of those lines that you pictured are pressure lines. The drain hole is located on the firewall. it may or may not have a rubber tube. it may just be an open nipple on the firewall. I looked at my car today and found it. The diagrahm i gave doesn't show those high pressure a/c lines in the way of the view but if you look directly at the firewall just below the a/c lines you will see the drain tube. hope this helps. A mechanic probably could clean it out for you cheaply though if you are having too much trouble finding it. Good luck my friend. If i can be of any further assistance let me know.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
griffi
AF Newbie

Thank you,you've been a great assistance.I thought I needed to remove ac assembly cover from under glove box/dash area.And look for drain hose.I found the spout and push a coat hanger as far I thought it would,maybe a foot.Nothing came out.I am idling the car with ac on now to see what happens.The water has ruin the padding under the carpet.It's all in a wad from trying to get the water out earlier.I see your from Oklahoma.My folks are from Woodward.Have a great day.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
griffi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakon1983 View Post
It's not necessarily an ac line that gets clogged causing this problem. If there is a lot of water in the floorboard then i would suspect a bad heater core. But if it is just condensation then the problem is that the tube that allows condensation to drip out is plugged up. Usually with leaves or other dirt. If you look under the hood on the pass side of the car you should be able to find a rubber tube hanging from the airconditioning assembly. just get a coat hanger and try to run it in and out of that tube a few times. I'll be you get a lot of old water and leaves come out of it. Hope this helps.
If your still around,the wire hangar didn't work and nothing came out of the tube.The ac when turned on, feels like the engine decelerates,off and on.Holding the steering wheel you feel the deceleration,push and pull motion but my passenger also mention it yesterday.If anyone else knows whats wrong I would like to hear from you.Thx
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Those "B" cars were known to come from the factory with the elbow on the drain nipple missing-- It is absolutely essential that the rubber elbow be present- if it is missing, water (condensate) will build up in the drain pan after a long non-stop drive in humid weather with a/c on.

There need not to be any plugging of the drain. The water will not flow out the drain because air pressure (while driving only) will hold the flow back such that the water seeps out through the air seams- and eventually ends up in the back seat floorboard- I have seen it several times- happens only after a long non-stop drive with a/c on....water pours out as soon as you stop- and you don't realize what is going on. Just be sure you hae a rubber elbow on that horizontal nipple-- I have even put on a rubber hose that drops down 6 inches or more- that works too....And the problem is solved!
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
griffi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
Those "B" cars were known to come from the factory with the elbow on the drain nipple missing-- It is absolutely essential that the rubber elbow be present- if it is missing, water (condensate) will build up in the drain pan after a long non-stop drive in humid weather with a/c on.

There need not to be any plugging of the drain. The water will not flow out the drain because air pressure (while driving only) will hold the flow back such that the water seeps out through the air seams- and eventually ends up in the back seat floorboard- I have seen it several times- happens only after a long non-stop drive with a/c on....water pours out as soon as you stop- and you don't realize what is going on. Just be sure you hae a rubber elbow on that horizontal nipple-- I have even put on a rubber hose that drops down 6 inches or more- that works too....And the problem is solved!
And thats what I didn't do,maybe an elbow from the pvc aisle at Home Depot,or the rubber tubing.
Thank you

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster