Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Pawin
AF Newbie

Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

I have a Infiniti J30 1994, 110000
This problem is seen very rarely.
The problem is: some times the gear does not shift (from 1st to 2nd) even though the RPM touches 5000 to 6000 in 1st gear. It looks like, I’ am peddling the gas in neutral. The temporary solution that I have found for this problem is: either to stop the car (need not switch off the engine) and then move.
If you are on the move and there is no opportunity to stop the car, then quickly turn off the power (switch off the ignition and turn it on, but don’t crank the engine). Then, the problem is resolved.
And some times, the shift happens from 1st to 2nd gear when the RPM is around 4000.

I request members to share their experience in this regard and let me know what the problem might be. Is there any solution for this problem?.
Pawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Speedy_1234 Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy_1234
Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Well Have you check if the tranny has oil enough becuase when it missing more that 2liter or so the tranny has problems shift cause of the lack of oil
does it do it when the car is cold or when it has some time in the streets
Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Pawin
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Hi Speedy_1234:

That was may initial suspect and hence, I changed the transmission oil and filter.
This problem does not happen on the start. But, I have observed it after running for 2 or 3 miles.
As said earlier, this problem is not seen frequently. But, when it happens, it happens couple of times.
Recently, I travelled in this car for more than 1000 miles and I never observed this problem.

One another suggestion I need:
The music system (BOSE) stopped functioning all of a sudden. Basically, there is no power to the system. Before showing this car to a mechanic, I would like to check some basic things, like FUSE and other connections. Request you to give some update about the fuses that is applicable for the music system in Infiniti J30.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawin
Hi Speedy_1234:

That was may initial suspect and hence, I changed the transmission oil and filter.
This problem does not happen on the start. But, I have observed it after running for 2 or 3 miles.
As said earlier, this problem is not seen frequently. But, when it happens, it happens couple of times.
Recently, I travelled in this car for more than 1000 miles and I never observed this problem.

If Hydraulics/Mech problems are put aside: The tranny has few solenoids controlled by TCU. If [they are!] connectors are oxidized, the solenoids function erratically.

The nissan FSM contains quite a few pages to measure the solenoid resistances, but not once mentions of how to clean u computer connectors...

see: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/10

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Pawin
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahkapohjola
If Hydraulics/Mech problems are put aside: The tranny has few solenoids controlled by TCU. If [they are!] connectors are oxidized, the solenoids function erratically.

The nissan FSM contains quite a few pages to measure the solenoid resistances, but not once mentions of how to clean u computer connectors...

see: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/10
------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this Solenoid sit inside the transmission assebly?.
To check the tranny Solenoid, is there a need to bring down the full assembly?. Or, is there a provision to check the Solenoid alone.
I have not seen any warning (RED light) in my dash so far.

Ps: Earlier, I mentioned about the problems in BOSE music system in J30.
There was no problems with fuse or electric connections. The problem was with the stero itself.
I replaced it (BOSE , Factory fitted) with a new system , as the repair of BOSE system would have costed me more than $1000.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawin
------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this Solenoid sit inside the transmission assebly?.
To check the tranny Solenoid, is there a need to bring down the full assembly?. Or, is there a provision to check the Solenoid alone.
I have not seen any warning (RED light) in my dash so far....

Four solenoids at least. Can be checked from disconnected connector. Solenoids can be swapped without taking tranny off. As mentioned already, resistances can be cecked with a multimeter. If its like maxima, theres a eight pin connector on the tranny...

Go to autozone.com, login, and seek out the crap chiltons manual for u car. If u find it, at least it contains the autotranny selftest u can do uself, and its error explanations. No other help from that crap manuellos, basically all confutzeus...
---> Buy Nissan F$M -or- donate u money to repair$men who destroy u car and charge for it.... Its always cheaper to know exactly whats the matter than to be a target duck...

-------------------------------------------------------
RE4F02A Transmission Solenoids =mymaxima

The solenoid resistances may be measured, on the tranny side, connector opened:
Its got eight pins, numbered the same as in TCU connector.

Tranny side connector pins from left to right, top row first:
1 | 6 | 8 | 7
5 | W| W|none

Solenoid Resistances measured to ground:
Line pressure. 1 to gnd = 2.5 -5 ohms
Torque converter. 5 to gnd = 10 -20 ohms
Shift solenoid valve A. 6 to gnd = 20 -40 ohms
Shift solenoid valve B. 7 to gnd = 20 -40 ohms
Timing 8 to gnd = 20 -40 ohms
Fluid Temp. W measured against W = 2.5K Ohms Cold
-------------------------------------------------------------

However, as you have a intermittent problem during drive, do not expect to find anything wrong while standing... So go FIRST after ALL the contact problems as explained on my web pages. You do not have to be a pro, or know anything but: to open, clean, close connectors... 80% electronics problems are solved by that.

The problem could also be blown tranny computer TCU as power cutoff =reset helps. Maybe it gets too hot? Or does not get enough pwr because of oxidized contacts? Buy electronics freezer and spraycool the box when u problem is on, just to locate the issue....

Have a nice day!

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
infinman
AF Enthusiast

BTW.Nissan/Infiniti does not have corroded connection problems.they have excellent weatherproof connectors.
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Speedy_1234 Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy_1234
Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem

Well Like I said water got in the driver side where the tranny cpmputer is and well since then it has like a buzzing or clicking sound why does it do that then
Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Thaiolea
AF Newbie

Re: Infiniti J30 - Transmission-Gear shift Problem/Bose stereo fix(no sound)

Yeah you didnt have to replace the bose stereo. Each speaker is powered with their own amps. If one amp goes out, you lose sound in the whole system. Find the blown amp, bypass amp to create complete circuit and preserve your high quality bose receiver😎
Thaiolea is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria