Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
dunne08
AF Newbie

Model Car Parts/Accessories?

I just ordered a 1:24 Hasegawa Honda Civic eg6 and now Im looking for car parts for it like a Spoon spoiler, side skirts, front bumper... Is there a site that sells accessories like these?

Ive seen some Hasegawa Civics with the Spoon spoiler but I cant find where to buy them. Can anyone please help me, thanks in advvance.

Last edited by drunken monkey; 09-06-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: because in no school are you taught to capitalise the first letter of every word
dunne08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
tpliquid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to tpliquid
Re: Model Car Parts/Accessories?

most likely you have to custom make your self.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
most likely you have to custom make your self.
Serious? Im new to this so I havent a clue about much but how would you make your own?

Last edited by drunken monkey; 09-06-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: because in no school are you taught to capitalise the first letter of every word
Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunne08 View Post
Serious? Im New To This So I Havent A Clue About Much But How Would You Make Your Own?
If you're new, start by building the kit stock. A basic out-of-the-box kit is probably more challenging - and satisfying - than you realize. Learn the basics before you get all tangled up with advanced stuff. People who try to do too much at the start often give up in frustration.

If you like the hobby, you'll have many chances to create custom and highly detailed models.

In the meantime, ENJOY!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didymus View Post
If you're new, start by building the kit stock. A basic out-of-the-box kit is probably more challenging - and satisfying - than you realize. Learn the basics before you get all tangled up with advanced stuff. People who try to do too much at the start often give up in frustration.

If you like the hobby, you'll have many chances to create custom and highly detailed models.

In the meantime, ENJOY!
Is the Hasegawa Honda Civic Sir II basic? Im hoping Ill like the hobby its a class thing to get into.

How would yu make a resin Spoon spoiler? I really need that

Last edited by drunken monkey; 09-06-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: because in no school are you taught to capitalise the first letter of every word
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I think it's basic enough. Give it a shot!

After you get the model, visit your local hobby shop and ask for advice about paint, glue etc. I really like Tamiya products, especially their spray paint. It's easy to use and gets great results.

And if you run into a snag, this forum is a good place to get help.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didymus View Post
Yeah, I think it's basic enough. Give it a shot!

After you get the model, visit your local hobby shop and ask for advice about paint, glue etc. I really like Tamiya products, especially their spray paint. It's easy to use and gets great results.

And if you run into a snag, this forum is a good place to get help.
Ok thanks a lot, I dont think theres any hobby shops near me but Ill give a look on their website for stuff, and ya this forum is good

Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
endac
AF Enthusiast

I think if this is your first model your best bet is to go to a shop like Halfords, get some aersol cans of the colours you want and some primer and try to get a good finish on the body of the car as it is and feel satisfied that you completed your first kit.
If you're really determined that you need these parts then you'll need a model shop. I noticed you're from Cork so your best chance will be Marks Models on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork City. It's not the biggest model shop in the world but they will have a small selection of kits, paints, glues and puttys.
To make these parts you'll need some putty, some sand paper and a lot of patience and it can be easy to get discouraged. I know, my number of kits started greatly outnumbers my number of kits finished. But if you stay at it you'll be rewarded by the feeling of having accomplished something.
Put up some pictures in a Work in Progress Thread as you build and you can get advice from the members here. Some of the best builders in the world use this forum. Hope i've been of some help and look forward to seeing your progress.
endac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by endac View Post
I think if this is your first model your best bet is to go to a shop like Halfords, get some aersol cans of the colours you want and some primer and try to get a good finish on the body of the car as it is and feel satisfied that you completed your first kit.
If you're really determined that you need these parts then you'll need a model shop. I noticed you're from Cork so your best chance will be Marks Models on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork City. It's not the biggest model shop in the world but they will have a small selection of kits, paints, glues and puttys.
To make these parts you'll need some putty, some sand paper and a lot of patience and it can be easy to get discouraged. I know, my number of kits started greatly outnumbers my number of kits finished. But if you stay at it you'll be rewarded by the feeling of having accomplished something.
Put up some pictures in a Work in Progress Thread as you build and you can get advice from the members here. Some of the best builders in the world use this forum. Hope i've been of some help and look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks for the reply its got good info.

The Civic that Ive ordered is allready the blue that I want so thats handy, but if I damage it Ill get paint for it allright.
For the tools would I need Xacto knife, glue, tweezers & clips, or am I leaving out a few things?

I totally forgot about Marks Models it has been years since I thought about that shop but Ill def check it out.

And Ya Ill Make A WIP Thread Whenever I Start To Make The Civic

Like I Dont Have A Clue About Trying To Make A Spoon Spoiler For The Civic, Do You?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
endac
AF Enthusiast

Tool wise some small nail files are always useful just to remove the remains of the sprue from the part. I dont have much experience building custom parts but all i could suggest would be to cut some plastic card to the basic shape you need and attach it to the current spoiler, once you're happy with that use some putty to smooth the shape out and sand it untill it looks right
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Tool wise some small nail files are always useful just to remove the remains of the sprue from the part. I dont have much experience building custom parts but all i could suggest would be to cut some plastic card to the basic shape you need and attach it to the current spoiler, once you're happy with that use some putty to smooth the shape out and sand it untill it looks right

Oh so youd build onto the current spoiler not make a seperate one?

What kina putty do yu need?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
endac
AF Enthusiast

Well some pictures would help but if the current spoiler fits why not just extend it. Tamiya putty would probably be a good start, something along these lines http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...utty/index.htm
Like everything it'll take time to get used to, maybe play around with a few test pieces first before moving on to the real thing
Old 09-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well some pictures would help but if the current spoiler fits why not just extend it. Tamiya putty would probably be a good start, something along these lines http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...utty/index.htm
Like everything it'll take time to get used to, maybe play around with a few test pieces first before moving on to the real thing

Heres a pic but its not mine its from a diff thread:

The spioler on the left is the standard one,

The spoiler on the right is what I want.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
endac
AF Enthusiast

Well i dont see why you couldn't just extend it using putty and sand it to the right shape
Old 09-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
dunne08
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well i dont see why you couldn't just extend it using putty and sand it to the right shape

Ya I never thought of it till yu said it earlier, looks like thats what Ill have to do

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1:24 , accessories , civic , eg6 , hasegawa
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling