Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
seanleroy
AF Newbie

2012 Audi a6/a5 vs 2013 Jaguar XF

Hi,

This is my first post on here, so hope all is well with everyone. This weekend I'm going to buy one of the cars mentioned in the title, a 2012 Audi a6/a5 or a jaguar XF. So far I've only driven an A5, which is a car I've been obsessed with for a while now and when I test drove one I thought it was fantastic. I'm planning to drive the other two in the next day or so to get a feel for them, but I'd imagine they are very different since they are bigger cars.

I can only afford 2012/2013 car as that's what my budget can get me. Now I've never owned a car like these. I've only ever had a mini, honda civic and ford focus, so even just sitting in the A5 felt amazing.

Being that I've never owned one, could people give me some advice if they have ever owned any of these cars on which would be preferred. No the mileage on these cars does vary which is another concern.

A6 S-Line Manual: 63k miles
A5 S-Line Auto: 105k miles.
XF Auto: 111k miles.

While the A6 has incredibly low miles it seems obvious this car was only pottering around the city, but the dealer has fitted a new timing belt which is good to hear. I myself will be putting around 20k - 25k miles a year on it as I do long driving on motorway style roads. For that reason the A6 seems the better option, especially if I go to sell in a few years when I plan to upgrade to a much newer car. Part f my driving does involve lots of traffic and the constant clutching really annoys me so the auto cars do seem more appealing.

Any help would be great.

Sean
seanleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 2012 Audi a6/a5 vs 2013 Jaguar XF

The joke about Jaguar is that you want to buy two. One to drive while the other one is in the shop. At over 100,000 miles I'd stay away from the Jaguar.

Out of the remaining vehicles, the A6 manual...gearbox plus 4 doors come in handy, and don't bash against the car you're parked next to as easily.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

My advice, stay away. Repair costs are stupid for any of the cars.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
seanleroy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan View Post
The joke about Jaguar is that you want to buy two. One to drive while the other one is in the shop. At over 100,000 miles I'd stay away from the Jaguar.

Out of the remaining vehicles, the A6 manual...gearbox plus 4 doors come in handy, and don't bash against the car you're parked next to as easily.
Really, I would of thought the Audi's would be the less reliable, although I do remember some people in work saying they never had issue's with them and don't know any jaguar owners's, but assumed since it's jaguar they would have decent reliability.

I noticed looking more closely at the pics of the a5 that some of the knobs are missing on dials around the gear stick, so not sure what that says about the previous owner.

I suppose I'm leaning more towards the A6 now since the jaguar needs a new timing belt and he will take that off the price. I'd rather not have to deal with that.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:38 AM   #5
seanleroy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
My advice, stay away. Repair costs are stupid for any of the cars.
This was actually a big fear when considering one of these, but I did speak to a few guys who own an a5, a4 and bmw 3-series, and they said they are more expensive to fix than regular cars, but not as bad as you might think. The a6 has a new timing belt and kit done to it which is good. Other than that, people have mentioned filter's are the main thing to be changed.

I have a 2008 ford focus diesel at the moment which I've had for 7 years and I can guarantee this has cost me more money than any of those cars since I bought it. I was pumping at least 1500/2000 every year into it to fix various issue's due to previous owner not taking care of it properly.

There's not many other car's I've really had an interest in. I do like Honda Accords but they are so rare to find.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A