Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
automan9482
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to automan9482
Another '00 Jetta starting/stalling problem

Sudden issues w/ my 2000 Jetta GLS, 2.0L, A/T, 94K :
Hoping someone has a good suggestion for this. Last week I went to leave for class, and my Jetta wouldn't start. It cranks but doesn't fire. Later while looking into it, after 2-3 attempts it will start and run, but idles low and unsteady, but doesn't seem to be misfiring. Any pressure on the accelerator immediately after it starts kills it. When it finally starts and idles for a minute or two, I can goose the accelerator and it will rev and keep running, but does the same start/stall after it sits. I haven't attempted to drive it as I don't want to get stranded, so I don't know how it will behave if trying to drive it like this.
Just FYI, it just had a timing belt & water pump service, but I don't believe it is related as it was running fine for a week or two after that.
The plugs, wires, and fuel filter are all relatively new (<10K miles or so).
Fuel pump "whirrs" when the key goes on. The MIL is not on, neither is the Immobilizer lamp, and a diagnostic scan turned up no codes. Also checked the fuel pump fuse and a few other fuses in the dash and on the battery but all are fine... Battery is charged, connections are good, and vacuum lines all look ok. I was going to do a fuel pressure test but was stopped since I don't have the right gauge; it seems to be starved for gas, but then why would it finally start and run at all if it were the fuel pump relay or the pressure regulator??
Anyone else have this issue and/or have any good suggestions?
Much obliged for any help!!
automan9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
automan9482
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to automan9482
Re: Another '00 Jetta starting/stalling problem

Apologies for reviving this dead thread but thought it might help another.
This issue persisted off and on for the last year, and got worse. At the same time the original starter had developed a shrieking noise while cranking. The shrieking noise became more regular as the starter was obviously wearing out. Recently, I had the starter rebuilt by an independent rebuilder for $95.00, and have not had the starter noise OR the low, rough idle and stalling following startup since. According to my guy, when the starter wears to that point it doesn't crank the engine fast enough and will cause the idle/stalling issue until the engine catches up after a few seconds. Very common for the 2.0L VW he said.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03