Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
bronco351
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bronco351
93 Bronco top removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the top/back cover of my 93 bronco? I live in florida and its starting to warm up and its beach time!
bronco351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Truck
AF Regular

Get some sandwich bags for your hardware, and drop the rear window.

remove the short screws holding the facias on. (The plastic trim pieces.) There is a metal plate or two, so make sure you don't lose them, either.

get a 5/16" socket and remove the long bolts. The long bolts have metal brackets as well, under the plastic parts you took off first.

Once everything is unbolted, lift up and scoot it back about an inch, or two. (You want to clear the lip on the back of the cabin-but not have the camper fall off the truck.) Once that is done, you can have someone help you lift it off-each to a side. Or you could continue to scoot it backwards (from the back.) Once you do that, it gets to a point you can tilt the back of the camper to the ground, and kinda handle it from there. (I'm about 6'5"- so I can do the camper by myself-taking care not to scratch the paint! If you would feel better with some help-ASK A FRIEND! Most friends will do it if you let them ride in the back!)

I can't wait for spring to hit up north, here. Happy Truckin'!

You'll want a nice place to store the facias. They are ridiculously big considering they don't do anything but sit there and look pretty. Make sure they don't get damaged between now and Hurricane season.
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
bronco351
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bronco351
Ok cool thanks for the info. But if I take the hatch off is there a risk of damaging the seals or when I put the hatch back will it seal properly?
bronco351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Truck
AF Regular

The seal is on the lip of the cab. (That's what you want to lift over.) There really is not material between the camper and the body.

The biggest concern you should have is twisting the frame while the top is off. (Shouldn't be a problem is you stay on the asphalt-or sand!) If you run into the woods or hills while the top is off, you could, theoretically, torque part of the body and it wouldn't hold the camper correctly. That's the story I've heard, and why I've never done the 88. After having done it with the 87, I'm not really scared.
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco