Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Festiva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Kermit_The_Frog
AF Newbie

Help me please !!!

Hello everyone newbie to this site

I need some help please!!

I have a festiva 1991 L EFI

The problem is the last couple of days I am getting an oil leak around the valve cover , it seems for some reason there is a pressure building up and it is pushing oil out around the valve covers ... I am not sure why this is happening , I changed the Oil filter thinking maybe it was clogged and causeing some kind of build up, What I need to know is what else might cause this, other than that the car runs very well its not knocking or overheating and does not burn oil as a rule, but I took apart the air intake hose from airfilter to intake and found oil in there as well, its as if the pressure building up is causeing oil into places it would not be otherwise. I have rigged a breather by removing the pcv valve leaving it hooked to its hose thats leads into the intake, and just leaving it free inside the engine compartment, then placeing a second pvc valve with a hose leaveing that tied off so that it can breathe freely ... see its seems I am getting a lot of blowback or pressure. I needed to leave the first pvc valve beacause it keeps the airtake pressure at the level needed for the car to idle properly.. bare with me I know this is a long post...

And with a second hose allowing the build up to release itself I am hopeing it will ease the pressure and stop the oil from blowing past the gasket and stop it from being forced into the other places like the air intake system.

I hope its not commpressing in the base of the engine but is there a way to test that like a compression test? What results would I need to look for ? I have a compression tester.

Any help on the way this cars air-intake , oil circulation , anti-pollutions systems would be really helpfull here.

Anything at all please I need this car I am a student and need to use the car everyday for school, I am pretty good with tools and have a decent set of tools.

The car has 95,000 Kilometers thats just under 60,000 miles approx.

Its had one owner was very well taken care of and never driven hard.

please I need help.

Thanks
Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
pind
AF Regular

Re: Help me please !!!

hmmm
try a cylinder pressure leakdown test. if you compression is reasonably good, and its still pressuring up the crankcase, leakdown might be it, compression gases escaping past the rings.
on the other hand, pcv valve should be connected to the intake at all times. when you have it open to atmosphere, it does not function quite properly, it needs that negative pressure downstream to operate the way it should. try the new pcv valve, hooked up properly and see what happens.
pind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
Kermit_The_Frog
AF Newbie

Re: Help me please !!!

Ok will try that thanks
Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
sojourner
AF Newbie

oil blowby

Why don't you do what I did on my Chev S10 pickup, put a second pcv in, and connected to the intake, and drilled a hole in a rubber oil cap hand put another pcv and connected this to the air filter so it can vent air, if pressures are high but it can not take in fresh outside air. It cured the problem on my S-10 pickup, don't burn any oil, it also keeps moisture out of the crankcase, keeps gas vapors drawn continually, keeping the oil fresher longer, etc...

P.S. I'd first just put a pcv between the air filter intake, so it can not draw any air from the air filter but can vent excess pressure to the air filter, then if your still seeing excess pressures from blowby, I'd go with a bigger grommet and a larger PCV where the existing PCV is, to see if it keeps pace with the amount of blowby, etc...Its not something you would do on a new car, because new cars need the fresh air from the air filter, but when you have excess blowby, the excess fresh air just helps create excess pressures, and by not allowing this air intake on a vehicle with excess blowby, you might beable to keep pace with your engine blowby, with a larger pcv, etc...

Might be worth a try, might even lower you emissions, etc...

Note: Know people that have put in a bigger grommet and a larger PCV on the Ford Festiva, but they never tried putting a pcv on the air inlet to the crankcase, might be the first option if changing existing PCV doesn't solve the problem, , if that doesn't work, then try a larger PCV, if this doesn't solve the problem then put a PCV between the air filter and the air intake to the crankcase, to prevent air going into the crankcase, meaning all that will be draw out will be your excessive blowby, the check valve will allow excessive pressures to still vent to the air filter, so you still have a closed loop, then monitor oil usage, might solve excess oil usage, blowby, and keep moisture out of the crankcase, keeping the gasoline from contaminating the oil, as quickly, etc...I'd monitor if you think your burning oil, because of too big of a pcv, and no air going to the crankcase, might have to go back to the smaller pcv, and monitor and see whats happening, probably no two cars are equal, depending on the amount of blowby, my truck I have a v6 so have two pcv sucking blowby, and made another pcv to vent excessive pressures back to the air filter, to keep the system closed, etc...I love it, used to burn oil, but since building this configuration, have driven with my trailor to chicago, 350 miles away, and back hauling a storage shed and it didn't burn a drop of oil, etc...I don't drive the truck too much, so feel its keeping moisture out of the crankcase too, etc...

Last edited by sojourner; 03-19-2004 at 01:18 PM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Festiva