Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Funergy
AF Newbie

1992 GMC Vandura 2500 won't start

Hello,

My GMC won't start.
I hear the click, but then the engine won't crank.

At first I assumed a dead battery, and got a jump, and then it was fine for a while, but after a time of not starting it for a bit (I don't drive it daily), again it went dead. I got another jump, used it on and off for a few days and it was fine, then left it for two weeks, and it was dead again. I checked the battery with my multimeter and it had a full charge of 12 volts. So I figured maybe it was the starter or the cables. I looked at the cables and they looked good by visual inspection... a little bit of corrosion on the outside of the contact on the battery side, but the contact itself looks pretty clean. I tried hitting the starter a bit with a hammer while turning the ignition, and it was trying to start, but not starting. I then remembered that the previous time that getting a jump made it work, so I tried that, and it worked. After driving for a bit, full charge again, and starts up again after turning it off, just like last time. But I assume, like last time, it will go dead once again if I leave it for a couple days.

I'm not sure what this means... is it a battery issue? The battery had 12 volts, though on the dash it showed nearly dead. Is it a starter issue? Why would getting a jump make it work if that's the case?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Funergy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > General Discussion