Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
cndand72
AF Newbie

97 Grand Am won't run

Just took it up to Auto Zone for them to hook it up to their computer to find out what is wrong & they didn't get any codes off it.I have a had problem w/ the theft system since day 2 & have replaced the ignition switch , module , ignition coils & fuel filter only had it 1yr 5 months. Just in the last few months it has been sputtering when i get to about 50mph. Now when i try to start it I have to lay on the gas pedal & sometimes it still shuts off as soon as i remove my foot. Somebody please helpppppp
cndand72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 97 Grand Am won't run

Welcome to AF.

Your engine size and mileage would help.

here is the pass lock relearn...
Quote:
Security relearn procedure:

1) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2) Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
4) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
5) Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6) Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7) On 4th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM