Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > 1969 - 1994 Full size
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
curtisserrano
AF Newbie

89 K-5 with a tranny/transfer case problem

My Blazer developed a leak in the transmission. I took it to a transmission shop to have it serviced. He told me that the transfer case was coming off and that is where my leak was coming from. I told him that I couldn't afford the work to be done on the transfer case. So he checked out my transmission and said that it needs to be rebuilt ($2500). It's making a buzzing sound. I can't afford a tranny right now so, i was going to change the seal on the transfer case and try to stop the leak. The tranny isn't showing any signs of slipping at this point. When it does I will look for a used transmission. He told me that I had to find an 89 transmission. Is that true? is that the only type of tranny that would match? Any advice on this situation would be helpful! Money is tight as we all know! Thanks in advance!
curtisserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 89 K-5 with a tranny/transfer case problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisserrano View Post
My Blazer developed a leak in the transmission. I took it to a transmission shop to have it serviced. He told me that the transfer case was coming off and that is where my leak was coming from. I told him that I couldn't afford the work to be done on the transfer case. So he checked out my transmission and said that it needs to be rebuilt ($2500). It's making a buzzing sound. I can't afford a tranny right now so, i was going to change the seal on the transfer case and try to stop the leak. The tranny isn't showing any signs of slipping at this point. When it does I will look for a used transmission. He told me that I had to find an 89 transmission. Is that true? is that the only type of tranny that would match? Any advice on this situation would be helpful! Money is tight as we all know! Thanks in advance!
Which transmission?
What engine?
Was it serviced?
Where is the leak?

Several different years should work.
There was major changes around 86 and 93 electronic shifting transmission was started.

Different years and engines and transmission the lockup wiring circuits may be different but they can be rewired to work.

2500$ sounds a little high for a rebuild.
I would get a second opinion on your problems.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
curtisserrano
AF Newbie

I have an automatic transmission with a 5.7 liter engine. 4 wheel drive full size blazer. They did the tranny service and he said that the tranny needs to be rebuilt. He changed the filter and added new fluid. He said the main leak was coming from the transfer case. He said to re-seal the transfer case would be around six hundred but, he told me not to bother doing it because that would be part of the rebuild. I figure I should try to stop that leak until the tranny is showing signs of going out. What do you think? Thank you for your reply!!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

You are welcome.
Sorry more info needed to be able to help you.
But without knowing wahat transmission and what the reason or problem that it needs rebuilt and where or how or why transfer case is leaking we can not advise you.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
curtisserrano
AF Newbie

no problem! thanks for your time! I will take it one step at a time and see if I can seal up that transfer case and go from there! thanks again!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Give us some more info and mabe we can help.

Do you still have bussing noise?
Does it bus in gear or neutral or park?
Is transmission still leaking?
What transmission?
Does it have a good upshift?
At what MPH are upshifts on normal take off?
700R4 or 400?

Is transfer case leaking from being overfull?
Is it leaking where it goes onto transmission adpter or case leak or output seals or vent?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
curtisserrano
AF Newbie

I do have a buzzing noise, almost sounds like a heater fan sound. The sound is present after I start it. I really don't know what kind of buzzing sound I'm listening for. I don't think the transmission itself is leaking, it looks like its coming from where the transfer case and transmission meet or where the transfer case adapter meets with the transmission. The shift from first to second is at about 15 mph, kind of thrusts forward when it shifts and from second to third around 31 mph. I don't think I have ever gone beyond that cause I just drive around town and the mph around town is 35. I'm not sure what type of transmission it is. The person I bought it from told me he rebuilt it and then didn't tell me much more. This is learning truck for me, I don't know a heck of alot about mechanics. Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisserrano View Post
I do have a buzzing noise, almost sounds like a heater fan sound. The sound is present after I start it. I really don't know what kind of buzzing sound I'm listening for. I don't think the transmission itself is leaking, it looks like its coming from where the transfer case and transmission meet or where the transfer case adapter meets with the transmission. The shift from first to second is at about 15 mph, kind of thrusts forward when it shifts and from second to third around 31 mph. I don't think I have ever gone beyond that cause I just drive around town and the mph around town is 35. I'm not sure what type of transmission it is. The person I bought it from told me he rebuilt it and then didn't tell me much more. This is learning truck for me, I don't know a heck of alot about mechanics. Thanks again for your help!
PULL THE TANSMISSION OIL PAN AND CHECK FILTER AND LOOK FOR ANY METAL OR EXTRA PARTS OR EXTRA CLUTH MATERIAL AND CUT OPEN FILTER AND LOOK IN THERE TO.
TELL US WHAT YOU FIND THERE.

On the leak between transfer case look for cracks there and loose bolts.
Get a eye on right where it is leaking.
Tell us what all you see.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
blazer , case , leaks , transfer , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > 1969 - 1994 Full size