Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:55 AM   #1
hondajigga
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hondajigga
B16 Head Studs?

Has anyone put head studs on there B16 yet?

I just got a B16a1 and want to put a new metal head gasket and a head stud kit if someone makes one. I know ARP makes one for the B18c1 VTEC and I know most B heads are interchargable but my conern is the block differences and the length of the B18 studs. Any thoughts? Could I use the ARP kit? I was planning on trying it to see if it works after I do some more research but I wanted to see if anyone has already done this.

Also if anyone has an recommendations on a good metal head gasket I would also like to hear your thoughts. I have some info on Mugen, Spoon, STR, and some others. I was planning on going with a place that CNC's a 1mm thick gasket. I want to lower compression because I want to run some nitrous on this motor. Is this thick enough? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

If anyone has any good sites please provide the link with your reply.

Thanks For All The Help
hondajigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
SRHguru
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SRHguru
Re: B16 Head Studs?

Quote:
Originally posted by hondajigga

I was planning on going with a place that CNC's a 1mm thick gasket. I want to lower compression because I want to run some nitrous on this motor. Is this thick enough?
Ok, I have more an additional questoin, but, I know lower compression is good for FI, BUT, I was under the impression that you can fun nitrous at any compression ratio.

Quote:
my conern is the block differences
All B series blocks are the same. Only difference is the diplacemnt and the head between the different series.

Mods-
Thermal R&D catback.
DC sports short shifter
Iceman CAI
Centerforce clutch
Nuespeed spark wires
Yellow dash inserts
16" Rota Wheels w/ yoko rubber.
SRHguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
hondajigga
AF Newbie

I am pretty sure most of the parts from the b16 and b18 block are the same but i have seen these two blocks side by side and the b18 block was taller. The two blocks looked identical minus the height difference.

Now I found a engine rebuilding/performance shop that sells ARP head studs that fit B18/17/16. The part number corresponds with the kit ARP says fit the B18c1. I guess all the studs are the same length. I was concern b18 studs would be longer than b16 studs due to the block height difference but I guess this is good news.

T.E.D. Components

Now about the nitrous I would probably be all right with a stock set-up but I though just to be safe and while I have the engine still out I might as well put a new head gasket on.

I don't know about your comment SRHguru of nitrous being safe at any compression level. A stock compression engine can handle a small shot of nitrous(50) but i would think twice before popping a 200 shot on a ITR. But maybe thats just me.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
SRHguru
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SRHguru
Quote:
Originally posted by hondajigga
I don't know about your comment SRHguru of nitrous being safe at any compression level. A stock compression engine can handle a small shot of nitrous(50) but i would think twice before popping a 200 shot on a ITR. But maybe thats just me.
It is not the compression ratio that prevents the large shot of nitrous howver. It is the lack of strength from the stock internals. If you buy new forged high compression pistons, shot peened rods, and a new head gasket, you could run a large shot of nitrous at high compression.

Mods-
Thermal R&D catback.
DC sports short shifter
Iceman CAI
Centerforce clutch
Nuespeed spark wires
Yellow dash inserts
16" Rota Wheels w/ yoko rubber.
SRHguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:16 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
There's I think about a 10mm differnce in the deck height, but it has no effect on head bolt length. You can use the B18 stud kit with out any trouble.

Old 03-21-2002, 09:03 AM   #6
hondajigga
AF Newbie

thanks moppie

i also spoke to a c.s. rep at ARP and they told me the B18c1 kit will work with a B16 and also the b17

SRHguru
my point about the 200 shot was to see if i could bring someone out of the wood work. there is a local guy that has a fogger system on his ITR and he says its about a 200 shot. the car hauls ass but hes got a detonation problem cause he didn't upgrade his stock fuel system(also runs 87 gas),

i know he checks out these forums cause thats actually how i meet him(just trying to bust his chops)

but if you have experience putting nitrous on a b16 i would like to hear what you did