Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
hillre
AF Newbie

Smile Coolant leak

Hope all is well! My 2000 Monte Carlo (3.4L) with 98,000 miles is leaking coolant which is somewhat difficult to locate. Seems like it doesn't leak until the engine gets really hot. I am seeing the coolant in the area beneath the thermostat. Just replaced the thermostat last year and my heater is working fine. I checked all of those little hoses around the throttle body area. I didn't see any leaks while the engine is idling after driving but I amfinding and smelling it after opening the hood like I said in the area below the thermostat. It appear to be a slow leak that is dripping down and running along the frame area. There is some sort of metal pipe that is above the cross over pipe, I believe that's what it is referred to as; it doesn't appear to be leaking. There is also look like some sort of metal pipe connecting to the throttle body along with the little short rubber hoses. I am totally confused as to where this thing is leaking from. My 1996 Grand Prix did the same thng that I recall. I put some radiator stop leak (some sort of pellets) in it and it worked. It isn't working on this Monte Carlo. Have any of you experienced this sort of coolant leak? If so, where was the leak coming from? I hope that it isn't the thermostat. I had to take out the croo pipe just to remove the last bolt. Probably due to inexperience.). I had plan on driving this thing down to Tennesseee during the THANKSGIVING holiday but I am a little nervous about that now. Guess I will have to drive my SUV. ((EXPLORER) which love gasoline. It would be a lot cheaper driving the Monte. I would appreciate any feedback prior to turkey day. HAPPY THANKSGIVING everybody. Be safe
hillre is offline   Reply With Quote