Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

'94 Dodge Dakota (4x4 pickup) wiper motor delay

My windshield wipers quit working. I discovered a fuse was blown, namely the 15-amp fuse at the bottom of the photo, labeled "3A/B" on the fuse block under the dash.

After I replaced the fuse, the wipers started working again, only in low or high speed full on, not in the delay setting or when using the windshield washer.

The problem appears to be the small round metal canister, barely visible in the shadows at the upper left of the photo, which is a generic "Time Delay Relay" of sorts. It is blown, too, but I am having trouble finding a replacement.

There was a Mopar #4503104 listed as "discontinued" in some catalogs, and the picture showed a black box plugged into a wiring harness, but I rather believe it never was the right part in the first place. The correct part appears to be a WG3178T DODGE B250 ACCESSORY DELAY RELAY.

https://www.partsgeek.com/wg3178t-do...lay-relay.html

I will post again when I am able to obtain the part, plug it in, and try out the windshield wipers. Does anyone have any other ideas?
justinacolmena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Re: '94 Dodge Dakota (4x4 pickup) wiper motor delay

If there is a new part that supersedes the old part, then you will not be able to get the original part, as most times it is discontinued. But the parts stores or online distributors will have a new part number for you, just ask.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Stang View Post
If there is a new part that supersedes the old part, then you will not be able to get the original part, as most times it is discontinued. But the parts stores or online distributors will have a new part number for you, just ask.
That is usually the case, but in this case the part originally listed appears to have been miscatalogued.

The correct part appears to be a rather generic and commonly available plug-in "time delay relay" of sorts.

There are owner's manuals, Haynes and Chilton's etc. I hate to see things headed so much in that direction toward automotive "closed shops" with "no user serviceable parts inside."

I don't want to replace a perfectly functional $75 wiper motor assy because of the failure of a $15 relay, not to mention the labor apart from simply inserting the new relay into the fuse panel.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

You can unplug that relay and bring it to the parts store to match up to another one. But I'm guessing if that isn't your problem, then the motor shorted out somewhat. Most times, more often than not, I can remove a wiper motor or starter, take them apart and clean them and they are good to go. Most of them just get dirty inside and need cleaning. Or the armature clogs up. So I hope yours is just a relay, easy and mostly cheaper than the alternative.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #5
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

Quote:
You can unplug that relay and bring it to the parts store to match up to another one. But I'm guessing if that isn't your problem, then the motor shorted out somewhat. Most times, more often than not, I can remove a wiper motor or starter, take them apart and clean them and they are good to go. Most of them just get dirty inside and need cleaning. Or the armature clogs up. So I hope yours is just a relay, easy and mostly cheaper than the alternative.
That relay is not the problem, (even though it definitely needs to be replaced), nor is the motor shorted out. The wipers worked on delay with it unplugged, then quit again, but still work at full speed. There are corroded and faulty electrical connections everywhere.

I still need to replace that relay. It was blown, and it must control something else, but I can't figure it out right now. The airbag circuit started working after reporting a fault, but then the ABS quit. There is a lot of other electrical damage due to corrosion, the oil pressure sensor, too.

I need to get a manual with a wiring diagram, otherwise wait and see. Spring is coming. The weather will thaw out, and there will be enough light to see what I am doing.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

I love electrical gremlins ---> Irony

Dealing with some myself on my 88 Mustang. Some idiot hooked up the battery cables opposite one night while working in the dark. Didn't take but a half a second to make an inline 30 amp Alt fuse glow. Since then, everything is a lot slower, slow windshield wipers, some lights out interior and exterior. Waiting for warmer weather to go through the fuse box and see what's what.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

The original Mopar was the right part after all. Buried deep in the dash, almost inaccessible behind the radio.

One of the contacts was slightly corroded and charred from arcing. It only needed to be cleaned off a little and plugged back in.

The other module "T/DELAY" on the fuse panel, the round metal cylinder, still confuses me.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Good catch.
The Following User Says Thank You to 82Stang For This Useful Post:
justinacolmena (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

More problems yet.

Post 6 years ago on the Dodge Forums by "Brian in Tucson" with a Washington State University logo.

Quote:
Wacky Tach, pegged all the way to the right.
Brian in Tucson's Avatar Brian in Tucson , 01-24-2014 11:14 AM
A month or so a go, we had a rare, really rainy night. I had left my Dakota out in the rain. It appears that living in the desert has made it accustomed to staying dry (it came from the Seattle area.)
Same same. I've got automotive problems coming out the local University of Alaska Fairbanks frat house.

Can't register on that forum because of preëmptive antispam block.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

I used to have an older Buick Park Ave 99, very nice riding car, ran well. Any time I worked on something electrical and had to unhook the battery, it would send a spike through the system upon rehooking, that would almost always shock the tach into going all the way to the right side. Once my tach got to halfway, it automatically went all the way to the right, meaning it only needed a spark to get just past the halfway point, and it would go all the way due to the way it is springed inside. The first time I removed the cluster and wiggled a small tool in there to push the tach arm back to left, and once I got it just past halfway, it sprung back to the left like normal. Well, this happened a lot, so needless to say, I drilled a small hole in the cluster glass just above the center of the tach, barely visible. SO every time it did it, I could just stick a small tool in and wind it back to left. Anyway, some fixes for this could be a failing battery or alt, or bad grounds, or bcm.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

Quote:
Once my tach got to halfway, it automatically went all the way to the right, meaning it only needed a spark to get just past the halfway point, and it would go all the way due to the way it is springed inside.

...failing battery or alt, or bad grounds, or bcm.
Thanks.

That sounds like what I'm experiencing. There was (and has been) a lot of wetness, condensation, and melting ice. It's spring now, and when I purchased the vehicle, it had been sitting in a yard all winter without being operated or driven. The tach is indeed sprung all the way to the right.

On my Dodge Dakota's instrument panel, the hole in the plastic window for the trip odometer reset is close enough to the tachometer I should be able to insert a paperclip or something bent to the right shape in there and reset the tach needle as you suggested.

I suspect a water leak. In fact my windshield is cracked and coming unglued at the bottom. If it is letting in water, that could be part of the problem. I need to poke around a junkyard. Might be a wrecked Dakota with a good windshield.

I've never done glass before, but otherwise it's expensive.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:03 PM   #12
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Just so you know, drilling a small hole in cluster plastic, really didn't matter much at all. it was barely noticeable, so do that if you need to. Much better than removing cluster ever dang time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 82Stang For This Useful Post:
justinacolmena (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

The tach problem went away on its own after the weather warmed and some of the moisture dried out.

The spark jolted the needle back into position when I started the vehicle.

There was a transient engine code, 32, 41, 55, apparently due to a temporary ignition fault, but that went away, too.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
82Stang
AF Enthusiast

Glad it all worked out.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
justinacolmena
AF Newbie

No. There are other problems with the charging circuitry for the functionality of the windshield wiper delay module even when the delay module itself is functional and undamaged. The windshield wipers cease and desist from working at random times, or when the battery is insufficiently charged to drive the windshield wiper motor at full voltage even though it is sufficient to start the vehicle without the full functionality of the windshield wiper and washer subsystem module pursuant to a wiring diagram.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Dakota