Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #61
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 3000gt's/Stealth very own off topic thread: v 5

Well, since my post about getting the car roadworthy I really didn't get anything done, other than purchasing a set of used long tube headers.

Today for the first time in a year the car moved under its own power. I let it idle and warm up and it idled steady at 800 RPM.

My next step is to start yanking off parts that need replaced and see what I can do about getting the engine and trans removed. Well trans I can remove on my own in the driveway if need be, but since I need to remove the engine anyway I'd rather just remove them as a unit.

Once engine and trans are out and separated I plan on doing a major cleanup on the engine. I'll yank the heads and have a valve job done. Before it would go back in I'll replace all the major gaskets and orings along with the oil pump, oil pan, water pump, etc. I'll also bolt on the headers before I put it back in.

Transmission I will pull apart the two I have and hopefully be able to assemble one good one.

Before it all goes back in I am going to swap the engine harness and ECU and try to get the engine bay cleaned up and painted.

I have a lot to do, and need to keep myself motivated. I need to watch what I spend money on though because I was laid off at the beginning of May so I only have unemployment comp coming in, which is a little less than I was bringing home working 40 hours.

I'll cut this update here, but I'll try to keep you guys that are still around in the loop.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #62
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Made a few more decisions and moves on the Stealth front. I ordered a whole bunch of parts today that will aid in the revival of the car, at least running wise.

It's my goal to have the drivetrain pulled and engine on the stand by the weekend.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #63
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Well, I didn't reach my goal of having the engine on the stand by the weekend, but that was due to weather. Engine and trans are out as of today though, but due to other happenings of the day did not get the engine on the stand yet. With any luck the engine will be on the stand tomorrow and teardown will begin.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #64
Morphius289
AF Enthusiast

Good luck man, I'm sure it'll get done soon. Take a video once you get around to starting it back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
[01:05] Igovert500: scrwe his method
[01:05] Igovert500: too much crap
[01:06] Igovert500: i just jam a garden hose in there
[01:06] Igovert500: and put it on high flow
[01:06] Igovert500: go the opposite direction too
[01:06] Igovert500: so it clears out more shit
18 and out of debt - member #1
Morphius289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #65
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Yeah, I need to get back at it. I did get the engine bolted to the stand, but that is about the last thing I got done in over a week. I was out of town for 4 days at the NHRA Summit Nationals. Monday was recovery day. I was still somewhat recovering Tuesday, but needed to get my grass mowed and that wiped me out physically. Weather has been super crappy, which has killed motivation, but I hope to get the heads yanked off tomorrow and go from there.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #66
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I'm at the point now where I shouldn't have to remove anything else. Took LOTS of stuff off the car. Block is painted and ready for reassembly now. I got a bunch of stuff sandblasted and a few things painted. Plan on blasting more tomorrow and getting a bunch of other stuff painted.

And I got this for the bay

Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #67
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

So sad that there hasn't been any posts in this thread in 4.5 years. I remember when there used to be 10-20 posts a day in the OT thread alone. Then there were other posts/threads of advice seekers.

I'm still around daily, but its mainly watching for spammers keeping them from overrunning AF. I was actually searching for a post I knew I made and ran across a lot of old threads in the process that brought back some memories.

The funny thing is since my post in Feb 2015 a lot changed. I lost my job in April of that year, that was how I had the time to get so much done in such a short time. A few weeks after I posted the paint car picture I got "called back" which killed progress for a few weeks. I was let go again and got things done, but then finally landed a job a month later. It was late October and I did what I could in the evenings, then pretty much let it sit again for a period of time.

Fast forward a few years (2017) and I tear back into it but run into some rust issues. I bought a 91 3000GT shell with anticipation of cutting it up and patching things, only to make the ultimate decision to scrap the Stealth, and start over on the 3000GT because it was insanely clean, and had a good title.

I made tremendous progress in a short amount of time. I literally stripped it to a bare shell with no suspension, subframes, interior, and nothing in the bay in a matter of two weeks only working evenings and weekends. I completely cleaned up the underside and bedlined it. I bedlined the interior.

I prepped and painted the engine bay, jams, etc a week later, and actually repainted them the week after that due to a "rookie" mistake and me wanting them to look good. I did other little things as I could between work, bowling and winter. Come February 2018 my uncle that was much like my second dad passed away suddenly. It took a lot of wind out of my sails for awhile.

After a few months my cousins (his sons) and I had talked about getting some things done so we could put my car in the garage and get the engine installed. There was delay, after delay and I wasn't pressing the issue then finally Black Friday 2018 the car got towed up to the house and put in the garage. Again it took several months of delays but we finally got the engine installed.

After several weeks (maybe months) of sorting different electrical issues due to putting a SOHC engine in a DOHC car it fired to life April 2019. Its been legal for awhile now and I have put about 150 miles on it. I still need to do the paint, but that won't come til spring/summer. I still need to install the sideskirts and the rear widebody quarters.

Absolutely everything on the car has been rebuilt, painted, etc. Its not perfect, but I have done it all myself.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #68
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Ironically I lost my job again and had a ton of free time to put into the car. Finally got her in paint again and looking fresh

Wish everyone from back in the day was still around.