Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Post Tire Review Thread

Here is a thread for you to review the tires you have and give your rating and opinion on them. Please list the brand name of the tire, style of the tire, and what you liked and what you did not like about the tire. This will help our members to decide when it comes time to buy new tires.

Rules for this thread are as follows:
1st Please do not put anything but tire reviews and tire review requests in this forum. Anything else will be deleted.
2nd If you are posting a review request please make sure that it A) has not already been reviewed or B) It has not already been requested. Double posts about Requests will be deleted. However if you see there is already a tire review you can do another review on the same tire, the more opinions the better.
3rd all questions should be handled in PM's with the person that made the review.
Those are the posting rules for this thread.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Tire Review Thread

I have Toyo Spectrums on my 5th gen... the best all season tire ive tried yet!
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
I got Falken Zeix 512s 225/40/zr18 on my front wheels. Great tire, good grip, not too expensive, decent water handling

Out back, I got Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 225/40/zr18 . They got less tread left than the Falkens or I'd have them on my drive wheels. Great grip when up front, a lil more expensive than I can usually handle. Better suited for cars that are taken to the track on street tires rather than strictly daily drivers like mine. Only complaint is that they are noisy as all hell! Drove me a lil at first listening to it.

I first had Khumo Ecsta Supra 712's which came with my rims. Decent tire for daily driving I guess. Decent enough grip, low cost although they cast almost as much as the Falkens. But if you hit a good enough bump or pothole in the road at speed, expect a nice tear and bubble on your sidewall. Happened to me...twice.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
Michelin Pilot XGT V4 - 205/55/R15

Treadwear:300
Traction:A
Temperature:A

Vehicle: 1996 Prelude VTEC
Miles driven on tires: 20,000

This tire is the OEM spec for most higher end hondas (Lude, Civic Si, GSR, etc..)

The tires are good for the first 15-20k miles. Thereafter the performance of them quickly drops, even if theres a fair amount of tread left.

Dry Traction (Cold) - Under these conditions, I would say the tires perform fairly. Pretty predictable.

Dry Traction (Hot) - When everything's all warmed up, these tires stick nicely to the pavement. Nothing to spectacular, but its a step above the tires on your grandma's car.

Wet Traction - These tires are about average in the rain. They provide decent straight line traction, but when its time to turn the car tends to plow a bit. Although, this may be a natural charactaristic of my car, since its FWD. I'll get back on this when I have a different set of tires to compare it to. Good Hydroplane resistance.

Snow Traction - Doesn't snow here, so I can't say.

Cornering Stability - If its hot out, the tires will stick, but the sidewalls are a bit on the soft side, so turns tend to be a bit sloshy. Really predictable, but most might expect more from a performance tire (Stay away from these if you autocross).

Steering Response - Good steering response. Nothing too special, but a step up from most tires. Would probably fair well in emergency handling.

Ride Comfort - I can't say, as my car's suspension is inherently stiff, and have nothing to compare it to. Let's just say I'm not complaining.

Noise - Pretty quiet until you break 20k miles. But even then, its nothing really noticable.

Tread Wear - Pretty good. I've done a billion burnouts and have taken turns like a mad man since i've had these tires, and they're holding up better than I expected.

Final Comments: Prime choice tire if you're using your car to go to work. And maybe a bit of spirited driving now and then. But if you drag race or autocross, you should look elsewhere. These tires are a bit on the expensive side for an OE tire, a couple better performing aftermarket tires can be had for a bit less, although those would probably wear out faster than these.

Recommended?: Yeah, for a daily driver. No, for the more spirited.

Last edited by SiGNAL748; 01-26-2005 at 08:32 PM.
SiGNAL748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Hankook K104

Offered by many wheel and tire stores as part of a package, they are a stylish, decent wearing, and fairly grippy tire.

dry traction: A
wet traction: C+
braking grip: A
launch grip: B
treadlife: B
noise: B

good all around, only downfall is wet traction. a bit prone to sliding, but not under normal slow driving. they look great a very agressive tread pattern....thats all. daily driving A, sport driving B+.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
Tire: Bridgestone Potzena RE-750

dry: great!

hot: sticky sticky couldn't ask for more for the kind of tire it is

Wet: they do fine in wet weather never hydroplaned and i've tried too

snow: if sking is your thing! Do not use in snow its is dangerous

Noise: lil loud but nothing to grumble about.

Wear: wearing quite well for how hard there driven will easly out do there life

Braking: very well even with aftermarket pads and an upgraded MBC

Flaws price lil steeper then most

9/10 in my book

Great tire just have some winters if you get any snow.
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66
Car: 1997 Honda Civic EX coupe

Tire: BF Goodrich Euro TA's

Size: 205/40R16

Dry: Good tires, but you can still break them loose under hard cornering

Wet:Not bad, they still handle pretty well considering there is less than 1/4 inch of tread. (new there is only 10/32 inch of tread)

Snow: They aren't too terrible as long as you can drive carefully, but don't expect to be able to stop or go in a hurry.

Ice: No. They are not good on ice. They are so wide for my Civic that they disperse all of the weight so much that there is very little traction. Again, if you can drive carefully, you'll do just fine.

PICS

Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
Bridestone Blizzaks *snow tires*

Dry: pretty amazing for a snow tire.

Wet: does great in wet/slush.

Snow: my lowered hatch is suddly a rally car in a foot of snow I drove like a total ass in the winter and was always fine.

Ice: good and expected anything they did.

Noise: didn't bother me

Life: 2 winters down I have a few left still

Cost: up there way more then i needed in SE PA but worth it if you have real snow or want to zip by the soccor mom in her 4x4 and laugh.

10/10
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66
Car: 1999 Acura Integra GS-R

Tire: Eagle RS-A

Size: 195/55R15

Dry: Very impressive for a beefed up all season tire. Haven't broke them loose on a corner yet.

Wet: Good although i haven't had a lot of time to drive them during a rain shower.

Snow: Don't know....i have Blizzak winter tires and i haven't had my car through a winter yet.

Ice: Don't know. Reasons above.

Noise: They are very quiet and ride smoothly.

Overall: They are a good tire, but since i have winter tires, i would go with something a little more aggressive. All in all they are excellent. To put it in perspective, they put these tires on Olds Auroras, all Pontiac Bonnevilles, and Caddilac CTS's so they can't be too bad.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Ace$nyper
Banned

Tire: Dunlop SP sport FM901

Dry: held up long time before shed get shaky lot of grip more then i'd ever expect from its price range.

Wet: till horribly bald did awesome in the rain

Snow: Don't ever try I've nicked my SW388s thanks to them.

Temp: awesome for DD or hard driving got a little greasy after autoX or 2 really suffered at PIR they were sloppy as hell.

Noise: fairly quiet when new. Louder and louder with wear. It was to the point I'd hear them over my exhaust and music.

Cost: like 50 a pop for 195/55R15 can't beat them.

Life: was to be 30K miles mine lasted about 45K and I drive hard and race on them.

7/10

A great tire for summers or 1 year on a budget too loud for me to want again. for about 200 buck for 20K miles *before noise gets bad* you can have a nice tire.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
stratpunkr
AF Regular

Yokohama Parada Spec-2

Everyone dogs this tire but i dont have a problem with em. Dry traction is good, handling is great, great response, and dont hydroplane to much in the wet. Its a wanna be autocross tire so its not really for anythign other than dry pavement. Treadware kinda weak, but when u work at discount tire and know how to cheat the system and get new ones every 6 months for free it doesnt really matter. The only reason i got em in the first place is because i got 40 bucks off each tire. Overall not bad at all, but dont try to show off in the rain.
stratpunkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:26 AM   #12
mrthick71
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mrthick71

95 civic dx
no major motor mods yet (1.8)in the works
Potenza re-910 tires (205/50/15) on oz racing f-1's

These tires have never broken loose in a corner...wet or dry...and I hit em hard
the car is dropped 2" with s-tech and AGX's
I even have a hard time breaking loose on dry pavement with a clutch dump unless I'm above 3500
but, like I said no major motor either, just a few add ons

I hear absolutely no noise from these tires(2400 watt tunes)
never hydroplaned...not for lack of trying.

8000 Mi. on them and they look like new.

curb protection for the rims too
mrthick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
hxgaser
AF Regular

Bridgestone Turanza LS-T

Car: 2001 Civic Hx
Tire: Bridgestone Turanza LS-T
Size: 195/70TR14 (Stock size)

Pros: Great tires with 80,000 mile treadlife. It made a night and day difference compared to the stock Friestone FR690. (I personally believe those tires are death traps.) Anyways, dry road performance and wet/snow performance is great. Still looks and feels like new tires after 30,000 miles.

Cons: They only make maximum 16" wheel sized tires.
hxgaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
007COUPE
AF Newbie

Question

I have 17 inch tires made by some third world company named Wanli! These tires have very cool looking tread,( >>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>><<<), just turn it right side up and thats my tire. The problem ive been having is that the side wall is very soft, so soft that three of the four tires have started developing small cracks in the wall. Ive taken them to several tire places and some say its no big deal, some say get them changed very soon. One good thing is that the tires are amazingly quiet!!!!!

Temp:Hell, I dont know
Wet: decent, more of a track tire
Dry: very good
Tread Life: excellent
Look: cool
007COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
C2Z06
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to C2Z06

I've driven several Civics on various tires.

Least favorite.

General A?'s and T's. Something like that. Both were crap. Very rough. The stock Michelin's were a godsend over them. Wet weather...you're better off walking. Even new General brand tires have worse traction than my sons green and slimey diapers. Noise...CAN YOU SPEAK UP? I CAN"T HEAR YOU OVER THE TIRES!!! Overall grade A+ to a F-...F- Without hesitation and I'll be polite and leave it at that.

Pererlli P3000.
Quiet ride once broken in but a little stiff and noisy until then.
Great rain traction. Makes you forget it's rainy weather even around some S-turns. Great cornering response. Excellent highway tire. I put these on my wife's Altima for these reasons. I like a reliable and safe tire for her and my son. Overall A.

Yokohama 420. Suggested by Discount Tire on the Civic. Nice tire for cornering but not a true performance tire. Fairly quiet on the open road and decent wet weather traction. Nice balance between street performance highway touring characteristics.

Yokohama Avid Touring.

I do bookoo amounts of highway driving. So I have these on my Civic, would be on the Altima too but couldn't grab them when needed so I got them with the P3000.
Wet weather. Incredible. I've driven on 3" of ice and had great traction on these tires!
Queit...the quietest I've ever ridden on.
Smoothness...the smoothest I've ever ridden on.
Cornering...fair, but if you drive a Civic on the 420's one day and the Avid Touring the next, you could tell it has softer sidewalls but distinct improvement of quiet, smoothness and wet weather traction.
Longevity of tire is 85,000. My old Avid Touring has 82k with hear driving through turns and most highway time spent over 80mph.
Grade for a daily driving or cross country tire. A+.

Protenza's. Street performance.
What can I say...wow what a difference in performance!
Grippier than any other tire I've experienced on a Civic. Handling is deffinately improved over the 420's as it's intended to be in a "higher class" of performance.
Wet weather was fair.
Fairly quiet.
Farily smooth.
For outright performance. A/A+
For daily driving B- (compaired to Yk's Avid Touring)
C2Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension