Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool "Generic" Strut Tower cross Bars?

Hello, just registered and have some questions concerning:

1. Hydraulic power-steering in general.

2. Strut tower braces that fit "anything".

#1. I've basically been told everywhere that the only real way to reduce the amount of assist of any power steering system is to remove/disable it. There is no safe way to moderate the assist - which is my intention on my otherwise very well mannered 2008 Kia Optima 4cyl sedan.
Heidt's does sell an adjustable bleed-back valve but I have been told by other newsgroups that it's an "unpredictable POS" and that I "need to do more research into just what the valve does". Garages have told me that most cars have the effect of a Heidts valve built in, and that putting this valve in might actually counteract and "endanger" the PS system - by causing unpredictable behavior when I turn the steering wheel.

2. I've heard NOTHING but PRAISE for this relatively simply solution for closing the box on a unibody McPherson strut suspension platform. Daily commuters have supposedly been transformed into remote offices(!) by the installation of these bars, because the drivers cannot seem to get out their cars and take the longest way possible to work!(wheel in one hand, Blackberry in the other)

Questions: If we can go to the moon and back and build a space station that actually works, can't we also modify a PS system(conventional) to yield less assist?

Secondly, are there out there "universal" strut tower bars that will fit the aforementioned 2008 Optima? All searches for strut bars by make/model yield zilch.

Thanks and looking forward to your(steering) input.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: "Generic" Strut Tower cross Bars?

1- power steering is a very high pressure thing. Like on the order of up to 2500 psi. There is also a lot of flow involved. Many times people get the idea of just putting a restriction in the line. All that does is it still provides the same effort, but quick steering efforts run out of flow. In order to make the change you need, you must find a way of maintaining full flow while reducing pressure. There is no current easy solution, but I have an idea. Look to the rest of your car's line. Some of the more upscale Kias might have a variable power assist that provides normal pressure for slow maneuvering, but reduces pressure as speed increases. Its possible that this pump might fit your optima. Don't fall into the trap of using a larger pulley to slow it down. That reduces both flow and pressure and its easy to get ahead of the fluid.

2- no such thing as a universal. Break out the welder and have fun. The 2008s are pretty stiff, and you probably won't notice much difference, especially given the soft suspension, but it does stiffen things up a bit.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: "Generic" Strut Tower cross Bars?

Hmm! Now it's letting me reply to you - actually, I can't "quote", or include your reply in mine(it asks me to log in again)

With regards to #1 - Power steering, you stated "maintaining full flow while reducing pressure" that is precisely what http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page...rod/prd210.htm
claims it's supposed to do. When I linked to it over at rec.autos.tech, folks verbally trashed this product as dangerous and a lawsuit in a box! Is there something about this valve that possibly I misread? I know it clearly mentioned how once the valve was installed it could be adjusted to turn twitchy over boosted steering into a ride similar to my handle(!)

For #2, I guess I'm out of luck? I thought some of those strut tower bars looked pretty generic - most of them just go straight across, others have notches in them to clear air boxes, fluid reservoirs, etc, on their way from one tower to the other.

Last edited by RidingOnRailz; 06-13-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: clarification/misspelling
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: "Generic" Strut Tower cross Bars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
For #2, I guess I'm out of luck? I thought some of those strut tower bars looked pretty generic - most of them just go straight across, others have notches in them to clear air boxes, fluid reservoirs, etc, on their way from one tower to the other.
There are some detail differences, such as the distance between the towers, bolt pattern on the mounting plates, etc.

If you know of an auto parts store or wrecking yard that has a bunch of these you could trial fit a few and see if one can be easily modified to suit your application.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
braces , kia , optima , strut , tower
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical