Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
big tex84
AF Regular

cut springs

ok Im a total newbie to fwd suspension set ups, my friend has a 93 civic hb, he cut his springs and says he is riding on bump stops, is this even safe? if so i was gonna bring my car (89 civic hb base model) down 1.5 to 2 inches, would I have any probs that anyone could think of? just trying to take it down cheaply, dont care how it rides, and im rollin on 15inch factory si rims. any help please
big tex84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
rick18
AF Newbie

Re: cut springs

ive been told that its a bad idea because your springs were made specifically for your cars weight and other variables and when you go and cut them they no longer have the right specs so it can be dangerous. but on the other hand i know a couple people that have done it and its fine just isn a nice ride.
rick18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
eurobeaner
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to eurobeaner

first thing thatl happen, camber problems. second, bad tire wear due to camber, third thing, bad ride, forth thing, blow your shocks/struts quick. if anything, i would go with some CHEAP coil-overs off ebay, ths like 40-60 dollars. itl be safer than ridin with short spring with stock spring rates. if you get the coil overs, you will have adjustment... you could have it ride stock height, 2" down, or down right tuckin at 4" down... the spring rate is higher so you dont bottom out the strut(which is very uncomfortable feeling). BUT the ride is rough... but you said it didn't matter, so, thats the way you should go.
Energy Suspension Poly Bushings
15" black VSR's on nitto NT450 not-so extreme performance 205/50/15
CAI
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2489240/1
eurobeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
DriftingCivicSi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DriftingCivicSi

Camber Kit would help. I rubbed 2 sets of tires dead before I decided to scrap new springs from a local junkyard (aka my toys-r-us). I also had to get a new alignment like every month. Its a risky move to cut springs.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Riding on the bumpstops in not safe, the tires can become airborne. Not to mention the damage it does to the struts and the terrible ride/handling. If you're going to lower a car do it right or don't do it at all. The only time springs should be cut is when there are no aftermarket springs available, the market is flooded with Civic parts. The first rule for suspension: DON'T BE CHEAP. Some things you can be cheap with. Your ass can't feel a difference between a $20 intake or a $200 intake on the other hand your ass will defintaley feel the cheap springs. Stay away from cheap coilovers, buy a decent set of springs & struts. If you lower more than 1.75" you WILL need camber kits or frequent tire replacement. Don't forget to have it aligned after lowering, even if aren't using camber kits. The toe needs to be adjusted. Toe in will eat up a whole tire while negative camber eats up the inside edge. There is a cheap way to fix rear camber issues - http://home.earthlink.net/~civicex95/rearcamber.html
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
DriftingCivicSi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DriftingCivicSi

On the other hand, cut springs were popular back in Japan when mountain drifting came around. But still, like Bullshifter said, there are many Honda parts out there.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
big tex84
AF Regular

thanxx for the info, I dont wanna spend money replacin tires so I know what a camber kit will do for me but is it something easy to install and would I be able to adjust it?
big tex84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension