Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
89ZCCivic
AF Regular

stiff turns

i need some help with my 89 honda civic hb. the problem is that the steering wheel get really stiff and it makes it hard to turn .a while back ,maybe about 3 months ago i replaced the cv boots and the steering rod boots also .both the steering rod boots were in really bad shape they were split in 3.it seems like there was some sored of red grease in the s.rods .when i whent to buy the boots i asked the dude from auto zone to tell me what kind of grease to put on the s rod,he said it dosent really need any . so i was ok .but then i was like shit maybe thats why my damm streering wheel is really hard when turning .so what i did was i put some of the grease that i used on the cv boots.that helped for about a week then it whent back to being stiff .ok so do i need to use grease for streering. do i have to replace the axels .could this also be the reaso that my car does wheel hop even though ive already filled the motor mounts with silicon. 1 more thing what are the lower and upper strut bars for anyways? any help is appriciated
89ZCCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
94PreludeJDM
AF Enthusiast

Re: stiff turns

I'm not sure about the problem you're having, but the lower and upper strut bars (or sway bars) are used to improve handling. They link together your suspension and make your chasis more rigid, which results in less body roll, among other things, when cornering.
94PreludeJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: stiff turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94PreludeJDM
I'm not sure about the problem you're having, but the lower and upper strut bars (or sway bars) are used to improve handling. They link together your suspension and make your chasis more rigid, which results in less body roll, among other things, when cornering.
That is incorrect for strut-tie bars. They DO NOT reduce body roll in any way. They DO stiffen up the chassis, but that's nothing stiffer springs and shocks can't already do anyways. IMO, they are just eye candy and nothing more. Unless your suspension is set up right, you won't notice their benifits much if any.

Swaybars on the otherhand DO reduce body roll and are the most recommended first time suspension upgrade.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer

I have a 1991 Civic and they do not come with power steering. But after you replaced all those parts did you get an alignment? I noticed when I set my toe to 0 front and rear the car was easier to turn.

But just get the car moving. Once it's moving the steering wheel requires less effort to turn.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: stiff turns

Is the steering wheel hard to turn with the wheels off the ground?
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
89ZCCivic
AF Regular

ui never tried turning with the wheels off the ground .but when i drive thru a dirt road the streering gets smooth
89ZCCivic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension