Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

low gas = car stalling?

i think i may have come up with a hypothesis...

do you guys think that if i have low gas, just below the 1/4 mark, that it will cause the car to die, mainly due to the lack of gas? Cuz whenever is see that rpms go below 900, i press that gas, and it feels like nothing is there for a second or two, but then if i keep pulsing the gas, the engine will start to rev back up

any ideas...(besides, get more gas)
-Magnaflow 2.5 in Catback Exhaust
i swear, i'm working on getting mods
PureSXyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
fugiot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to fugiot
Re: low gas = car stalling?

no, that would not be a gas problem. The fuel tanks, pumps, and rails are designed to squeeze every last drop of fuel you got in there. I'd say get a tune up. Sounds like it's ignition related, i.e. spark plugs and wires.

Don't make me ANGRY
Or I will kick you in teh NUTS
Your NUTS will feel teh steel toe
Teh steel toe that has been in teh snow
I will rip off yuor pants and kick yuo in teh nuts
My steel toe will stick to yuor nuts
And I will swing yuo around by yuor nuts as I do a Hurricane kick
fugiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:47 AM   #3
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to J_Spec_NiTeMaRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSXyness
i think i may have come up with a hypothesis...

do you guys think that if i have low gas, just below the 1/4 mark, that it will cause the car to die, mainly due to the lack of gas? Cuz whenever is see that rpms go below 900, i press that gas, and it feels like nothing is there for a second or two, but then if i keep pulsing the gas, the engine will start to rev back up

any ideas...(besides, get more gas)

You will feel it when your 240 starts to run out of gas. My fuel gauge is broken and I had to learn to feel when the car is getting low. You will feel alot less power and it will run generally shitty. And when you get REALLY low, like less than a mile left, it will start to buck and kick upon acceleration. Sounds like you need a new fuel filter/fuel pump. If you take off your gas cap, there will be a "wooosh" sound because of the vaccum caused by low fuel. This is bad in an older car because your pump will start to suck up sediment in your tank and it will clog everything in your fuel system.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: low gas = car stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot
no, that would not be a gas problem. The fuel tanks, pumps, and rails are designed to squeeze every last drop of fuel you got in there. I'd say get a tune up. Sounds like it's ignition related, i.e. spark plugs and wires.
i just put in new bosch platinum 2's in there last weekend

JSpec, much would a new fuel filter and fuel pump cost?
and, could i install them myself?
Old 03-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: low gas = car stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSXyness
i just put in new bosch platinum 2's in there last weekend

JSpec, much would a new fuel filter and fuel pump cost?
and, could i install them myself?

I couldn't tell you what a fuel filter for a 240 costs, cause Iv'e always put in one for a 91+ 300zxTT. About 20 bucks. Way better than a 240 filter.

It's really easy. I can't remember if it's any different for the S14, but in the S13 it's on the left side of your engine compartment. Look down, and you'll see a grey object that looks oblong in shape with a hose coming out of the top of it that goes to your fuel rail. That's your filter. Take your fuel pump fuse out and open the cap to your gas tank. Loosen the clamp that holds the line on your filter and slide it up. Tighten the clamp a few inches up the line so all the fuel thats between your filter and injectors doesn't come rushing out. Oh yeah, it's a good idea to have an empty gatorade bottle or whatever to catch your gas with. At least a towel or something. When you pull the line off, it's gonna spill so watch out. After you get this line off, pull the filter off of the mount attached to your chassis and it will hang loose. Now you can see the line from your tank, which is attached to the bottom of the filter. Loosen this clamp and slide it down the line and tighten it. Pull off the line and be prepared for some spillage. When your bottom line stops leaking, empty your filter into your container, as there will be about a half pint of gas left in it. The process to install the 300z filter is just the opposite. You gotta bend the mount outward a bit because the 300z filter is a behemoth. It will fit in there though. Hook in the bottom line, then the top and you're good. Make SURE the clamps are tight on that line though. And make sure that the lines are secure on the filter. Have fun. Oh yeah, don't forget your pump fuse and gas cap

As for the fuel pump, I'd suggest a Walbro 195 for you. I think you can find one on ebay for close to $150. It's easy as well. I don't wanna write another chapter to this book of a post, so if you need to know how to install it I can look it up for you.

By the way, Bosch Platinums suck. Your car was engineered to use NGK spark plugs. It will make a difference, take it from someone who knows. I know that it seems like no one carries them, but it's worth the hunt. Kragen Autoparts carries NGKs, but they didn't have them for the KA24E. They might for a DE. I had to get mine through an NGK distributor.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

do you know where i can get a hold of a fuel filter from a 300zx?

could i just go down to kragen or something and say i have a 300zx TT (even tho i don't)
Old 03-28-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

lol you can get a fuel filter at any automotive store. its none of their business what youre going to use it for. just tell them to get you a fuel filter for a 91 300zxTT.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

did you get the fuel filter from a 300zx, or did you get one FOR a 300zx?

cuz i went to the kragen website, and they have all these different brands, and i'm not sure what i should be getting.

this is a fuel filter right?
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...Type=4&PTSet=B
Old 03-28-2004, 11:48 PM   #9
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

that's the one. i got mine FOR a 300z. dont get one FROM a 300z, cause it will be used

i think you're a little confused...a fuel filter is a fuel filter. the one for the 300z is just bigger than the 240, so it flows better. its a good, reliable upgrade. just go to an autoparts store, tell them to give you a fuel filter for a 91 300z tt, and replace the one in your car with it. easy.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #10
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

haha, thanks bro

does this have anything to do with faster fuel consumption?
i mean, when i put the 300zx fuel filter in, since it's bigger and flows easier?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #11
saikou240
AF Enthusiast

Hey, I was reading this post, it's really helpful. jspec...I don't think I really understood the way you said something. How do you know when it's time to change your fuel filter and when it's time to change your fuel pump? When you hear that "whoosh" when you open up the gas tank??
saikou240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:48 PM   #12
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: low gas = car stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikou240
Hey, I was reading this post, it's really helpful. jspec...I don't think I really understood the way you said something. How do you know when it's time to change your fuel filter and when it's time to change your fuel pump? When you hear that "whoosh" when you open up the gas tank??

You know when to change your fuel filter because of rough acceleration, not making the right amount of power in any gear, or your car has 90+ miles and you can't remember the last time it's been changed. The fuel pump is a little more severe, as your car can start dying or cutting out super hard up a hill... Any sign that your car isn't getting enough fuel usually points to either the pump or the filter.

The whoosh noise when you open your gas tank means that you're really low on gas. That whoosh is created by your fuel pump creating a vaccum inside of the tank because it's not getting enough gas. On a higher mileage car, this can be devastating because your pump can suck up a bunch of sediment in your gas tank and clog everything in your fuel system, sometimes past your filter.

Pure- You car won't consume any more gas than it already did. Your injectors will only squirt how much your ECU tells them to, and a fuel filter won't affect that. The larger capacity filter helps with efficiency more than anything.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
PureSXyness
AF Enthusiast

jspec,
today my buddies and i changed the fuel filter. it was a good experience, and the car hasn't cut out or died yet. thanks a bunch for your help. i do notice a bit of power gains, but i didn't really wanna push it (since i'm still low on gas)

thanks once again