Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #121
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Re: What up A.F? (Old School Members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
1. "individual marque pages" You mean like a Facebook group dedicated to a certain make or model of car?
Yes. I'm in a few and the knowledge base is really good for the most part.

Quote:
2. False positives. I'd rather come here to AF and wait forever(due to lack of traffic here, not of knowledge by the way) to get a correct response. Not to mention, "search" on Facebook, for what it's worth, is at best a joke.
I mentioned that. It absolutely sucks to search in a group or just on FB in general

Quote:
So typing in IE: "BMW M group" might return you every BMW M facebook group except the one you posted in a couple days ago, LOL.
You have to be part of a group to post in it, and then it becomes one of the groups you can quickly get to again using your "groups" link (or if you are on the desktop version of FB, it's right there on the left side) so you ALWAYS can go back to that group to see answers to the question (well, you also get notifications about any answers or likes you get so you just click on the notification to read the answer). You never have to search for the group you originally posted in either in FB OR in IE.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #122
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: What up A.F? (Old School Members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Yes. I'm in a few and the knowledge base is really good for the most part.

I mentioned that. It absolutely sucks to search in a group or just on FB in general

You have to be part of a group to post in it, and then it becomes one of the groups you can quickly get to again using your "groups" link (or if you are on the desktop version of FB, it's right there on the left side) so you ALWAYS can go back to that group to see answers to the question (well, you also get notifications about any answers or likes you get so you just click on the notification to read the answer). You never have to search for the group you originally posted in either in FB OR in IE.
Thanks, I understand most of that already. It's just not worth my time. If I want answers to my automotive issues that make sense, I'll ask them here, or in make/model specific forums I also belong to. If I want arguments and conflict, or if I want to find out about someone's root canal or pet goat, I'll visit Facebook
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:54 AM   #123
Ghostrider 67
AF Newbie

I find that it's best to belong to model specific forums, other than this one, if you want immediate answers. Also it's becoming less and less of a "thing" to post up every day in forums in general. Social media did that. For instance, I belong to no less than six automotive forums. Only one has traffic daily. It's a model specific forum for B Body Mopar's. Very active site. Stay away two days and my in box has 50 replies...... THIS forum? Have not had even ONE reply so far. Not complaining, it's fine, just comparing. I find that the older generation is more likely to belong to forums and post daily, it may be because they don't have the same affinity for FB, Instagram and the rest that younger folks do. The forums ARE their FB etc...
Ghostrider 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #124
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

I been here a while
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
daveshapellSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveshapellSVT For This Useful Post:
Ghostrider 67 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #125
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

I've asked this question before, mostly to the response of crickets but: had Igor, or anyone in his capacity, considered updating/upgrading the forum's software(forum engine)? Coming here from, IE: DriveAccord(dedicated to the repair and general enjoyment of one of Honda's most popular cars ever) is quite the trip back in time, no offense meant. Twenty years, at least.

Just a forum upgrade might triple the traffic and member signup rates here, and boost the knowledge base in the process. I mean, AF already has dozens of sub-forums dedicated to nearly every make of car on roads past and present. We just need to somehow boost activity in them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RidingOnRailz For This Useful Post:
Ghostrider 67 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #126
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

And as I responded to your other posts suggesting the same thing, upgrading the engine is not going to change traffic flow. I'm a part of various other forums, all with newer forum formats and they are dying too.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #127
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

viva los forums mang!!!
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
Old 10-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #128
Ghostrider 67
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
And as I responded to your other posts suggesting the same thing, upgrading the engine is not going to change traffic flow. I'm a part of various other forums, all with newer forum formats and they are dying too.
i agree with one exception......FBBO ( For B Bodies Only) and the sister sites. Very active forum daily. I just logged in a few minutes ago to find 26 replies to watched threads. And THAT"S a slow day. I am not nearly the top poster and I have like 49,000 something posts.. same in likes and thanks. All day every day with people from around the planet. Stop in.....everyone is welcome. MOPAR rules.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #129
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
And as I responded to your other posts suggesting
the same thing, upgrading the engine is not going to
change traffic flow. I'm a part of various other forums,
all with newer forum formats and they are dying too.
Well, I personally prefer AF, and dedicated make/model forums, like B Body Mopar and Drive Accord, to groups set up on social networks. Zuckerbook?...

IWW!

Politics and other off-topic stuff creap into Facebook automotive groups that would never be tolerated in here, or in any of the other moderated auto forums I mentioned
Old 10-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #130
Ghostrider 67
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well, I personally prefer AF, and dedicated make/model forums, like B Body Mopar and Drive Accord, to groups set up on social networks. Zuckerbook?...

IWW!

Politics and other off-topic stuff creap into Facebook automotive groups that would never be tolerated in here, or in any of the other moderated auto forums I mentioned
I belong to a few FB MOPAR forums and they are not allowing any of that baloney to invade the pages. The traffic is nominal there, just a few regulars posting daily. Honestly, FBBO is the only automotive forum that I have seen lately that is busy 24/7 across a wide variety of topics. Myself and half a dozen others from around the world have been having two private conversations ongoing now for years, we are up to 1200 pages on one and 800 something on the other. Always something to talk about.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #131
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: What up A.F? (Old School Members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 67 View Post
I belong to a few FB MOPAR forums and they are not
allowing any of that baloney to invade the pages. The
traffic is nominal there, just a few regulars posting daily.
Honestly, FBBO is the only automotive forum that I have
seen lately that is busy 24/7 across a wide variety of topics.
Myself and half a dozen others from around the world have
been having two private conversations ongoing now for
years, we are up to 1200 pages on one and 800 something
on the other. Always something to talk about.
"FBBO"?

Sorry, allergic to acronyms.

Personally, and this may stem from my being a contrarian in nearly every aspect of life(anti daylight saving, anti digital TV, anti electric locks and windows in cars!) since I became of conscience, I'm heading in the opposite direction of everyone when it comes to social media. I'm weaning OFF of it. It's disgusting. Not just because of politics, but because it provides a 'mask' from behind which one can be really nasty toward someone else they disagree with. Me being so thick-headed, I don't think any political posts on Facebook could ever change the way I vote, lol!

Frankly, I don't care if I'm the last person left posting here on AF, I'm not migrating to Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instavomit, or any other such dreck for conversation about my hobbies or interests.
The Following User Says Thank You to RidingOnRailz For This Useful Post:
fredjacksonsan (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #132
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 67 View Post
i agree with one exception......FBBO ( For B Bodies Only) and the sister sites. Very active forum daily. I just logged in a few minutes ago to find 26 replies to watched threads. And THAT"S a slow day. I am not nearly the top poster and I have like 49,000 something posts.. same in likes and thanks. All day every day with people from around the planet. Stop in.....everyone is welcome. MOPAR rules.
Quote:

IWW!

I prefer forums too, but unfortunately people are zombie sheep and think Facebook is the answer to everything. I resisted the migration years back when it opened up to everyone, rather than people with just an .edu email. I was on MySpace back then, and everyone was like "Hey its the same thing but better because its new."

I did create a Facebook account one time. Just to do some research on someone that was going to be coming to my house to buy parts. I found out the necessary information, looked around for like 5 minutes and decided quickly it wasn't for me. Facebook didn't allow you to delete accounts then so I turned it off.

I only looked back once because I got a notification that someone tried to log in. Went in and found where the account could now be deleted and was on there long enough to delete it.

I miss the days when, even though the 3000GT/Stealth isn't a common car we had 15-20 people posting daily in the sub-forum. I grew to know people well enough to trade phone numbers.

Social media will be the death of society. I will hang on the forums as long as I can.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #133
Ghostrider 67
AF Newbie

Quote:
"FBBO"?

Sorry, allergic to acronyms.

Personally, and this may stem from my being a contrarian in nearly every aspect of life(anti daylight saving, anti digital TV, anti electric locks and windows in cars!) since I became of conscience, I'm heading in the opposite direction of everyone when it comes to social media. I'm weaning OFF of it. It's disgusting. Not just because of politics, but because it provides a 'mask' from behind which one can be really nasty toward someone else they disagree with. Me being so thick-headed, I don't think any political posts on Facebook could ever change the way I vote, lol!

Frankly, I don't care if I'm the last person left posting here on AF, I'm not migrating to Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instavomit, or any other such dreck for conversation about my hobbies or interests.
FBBO is For B Bodies Only. There are sister sites for A bodies, C bodies, etc. plus Road Runner etc... All are busy but the B Body site is wide open and has been for years. I have a FB account but only because I have children and grand children who use it. Those two MOPAR sites on FB are the only ones I frequent.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:58 PM   #134
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Comments about online social sites making people less responsible for their own behavior is totally correct in my opinion.

What used to get you a punch to the face is often the norm...there are no consequences, and unless someone is very tech savvy, your identity is hidden. We have a generation of people brought up with this technology....and it's not a good thing.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #135
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

Yes
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic