Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

AC Delco Oil Filter P/N Changes

I am a lifelong GM guy, but stuff like this is maddening to me.
GM (AC/Delco) apparently made some recent changes to the Suffixes on several of their Oil Filter Part Numbers.
(Example: The PF46E is apparently now a PF46, same with the PF48E, and possibly the PF63E, they are not available on the shelves at parts stores, Walmart, etc. The filter on the shelves no longer have the Letter "E" suffix.
So are these "Non-E" filters 100% interchangeable with the "E" suffix versions?
Lots of supplier computers say they are not. One I just looked at, says the PF48E is for a 4.8L "LSx" truck engine, but the PF48 is for Saturn cars only.
I need to change the oil on my girl friend's 2016 Traverse, which takes a PF63E, but all I can find now is the PF63, (No "E" suffix). I am reluctant to take the word of the average parts counter kid, who probably has no clue.
So what gives? Why the changes? Don't they (GM/ACD) realize there are millions of owners manuals out there that specify Part Numbers that are now no longer available?
Is there any compatibility or interchangeability info available anywhere?
Thanks, -Jim.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: AC Delco Oil Filter P/N Changes

Jim, call a GM dealer, see what they are using.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I use wix and purolator pure one oil filters .. these filters do not break down and last a long time .. I cut them open and see that the filter media works great .. very strong ...
I dumped new GM oil filters ...over 10 years ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:08 AM   #4
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Just to update this crazy issue with GM oil filters. It looks like through all the variations in GM Part Numbers, not only did they go from the original steel core tube to the cheaper plastic frame on the PF63E, but even worse, the filter bypass pressure was changed a few times. And the actual GM Part Number also changed, even when the filter identification / model stayed the same. At one point the bypass pressure was dropped so low that the filter was being bypassed continuously on some engines / vehicles. So they went back to the original PF63 ID, but kept the cheap plastic inner core frame, and the lower bypass pressure. (The true 8-digit GM P/N on that really crappy one was 12707246. Do NOT use that worthless item!). Then they recently updated the filter back to the original higher pressure bypass spring, even though they kept the same designation of PF63 (no "E" suffix). This current version does work well, and the GM P/N is 12731742. So if you have a 3.6L V-6 as in the Traverse, this is the P/N you want to use, if you choose to stay with a GM AC/Delco filter. It is made in the USA, and has the P/N, date code, and Product of USA stamped on the bottom of the filter.
The oil in my girlfriend's Traverse has always stayed remarkably clean, at 3,000 miles it is still almost the same clear color as the Valvoline I poured into it. Except when I unwittingly used one of the crappy, low-pressure versions of the PF63. I changed at the same interval, around 3500 miles, and that oil came out black, filthy. I thought th engine had developed issues with ring seal or worse. That is when I began doing research on these filters and found out about the BAD P/N 12707246. When I found the new GOOD P/N at Walmart, (12731742), I bought one and the oil stayed clean after that. So check the true 8-digit GM PART NUMBER on the filter, not just the Designated ID (PF Number). Or, you can just use the Excellent Wix WL10255 (or the better version, WL10255XP). Note: AC / Delco also sells premium line of oil filters, which bear the "Ultraguard Gold" label, and model UPF63R. Not always easy to find though. Haven't tried that one yet, but on my Duramax truck I use the original OEM AC-Delco PF2232, because it is longer than the Wix equivalent, appears to be made as well, and my truck has 149K miles on it now and has great oil pressure. I did buy one of the Ultraguard Gold UPF2232R filters to try on it next oil change. Diesels turn the oil black and dirty looking in about 100 miles, so it is hard to tell if there is a bypass issue, but none that I have found or heard about on that PF2232 filter.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:43 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Jim - Good information.

I've been watching this closely since ordering a '23 Traverse with the 217-inch V-6 a year ago. Those engines ship with a "shortie" version of the PF63 for a variety of reasons. Those engines are highly susceptible to problems from dirty oil, mostly affecting the VVT cam phasers. The initial oil and filter got dumped at 547 miles.

It has been getting nothing but the 12731742 version of the PF63 (not "E") full length filters and Mobil1 5W-30 Dexos-approved oil. It's on its fifth oil fill at 5,900 miles, mainly to get break-in particulates out as soon as possible given the 15 feet of timing chain, the filter, and sump design.

The saga of the "E" filter series is pretty well documented across the internet, and the supposition is that the bypass was reduced to reduce idle engine load and produce better CAFE numbers to help GM make fuel economy goals. I'm not willing to play that game either. It may actually be a GOOD thing that those "E" filters are difficult to find in the aftermarket.

BTW - I normally use Puro filters and occasionally Wix, but this is under an extended warranty and I will play their game for the first few years just to avoid arguments. The PF63 (12731742) is good enough to do the job as long as the "severe" service schedule is applied for change intervals. I have no problem with the plastic filter core liner until I see one that has failed. The openings in the plastic liner appear to be much larger than the perforations in the steel core liners, which might have some benefit for filter element flow-through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
Mrbizness1 (01-27-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I was the WIX XP OIL FILTER over decades ...the GM ac delco fram it is a mess ....

my impala/silverado 28 yrs / 24 yrs no engine no repairs
7K miles oil the stick 1/3 qt ... mobil syn 5-30wt .. decades ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion