Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Trueepower
AF Newbie

Buick Encore 2017 with start/stop tech or none

Recently, I've been thinking about buying a Buick Encore.

I like the car for many reasons, but one thing has come up that makes me hesitate - to buy. The feature of start/stop with no option to be able to turn off. My concern is that long term it will not be good for the engine, and the majority of the people I've seen talk about it - hate it.

So I am faced with the question do I take this great deal on this car without start/stop and sacrifice HP and Torque or do I take the engine that is a little under-powered without start/stop available.

Remember, it cannot be turned off with the new Buick Encore's. Once you have it, you're stuck with it. I was wondering what people thought about start/stop in general, and maybe could give me some advice.
Trueepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
bernteck
AF Newbie

Re: Buick Encore 2017 with start/stop tech or none

Stop start system will save about 6 % fuel for most people. These car have a starter that is about 2X bigger than the older starter without stop start.
The system is designed to stop the engine when required criteria is met. So it will likely only stop the engine one time a corner even if you inch forward several times.
If the engine is cold, AC is on max the engine likely stay running.
Stop start system are here to stay. Most all cars will have this soon.
bernteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Trueepower
AF Newbie

Re: Buick Encore 2017 with start/stop tech or none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernteck View Post
Stop start system will save about 6 % fuel for most people. These car have a starter that is about 2X bigger than the older starter without stop start.
The system is designed to stop the engine when required criteria is met. So it will likely only stop the engine one time a corner even if you inch forward several times.
If the engine is cold, AC is on max the engine likely stay running.
Stop start system are here to stay. Most all cars will have this soon.
Thank you for the response Bernteck, I've decided to actually for the go the direction injection motor which uses stop/start tech. I figured I would get used to it, and probably not notice it very often. I don't drive a lot in the city, or areas where I am in stop and go traffic either.

But, the main thing for me was is that I wanted more HP and torque for the Buick Encore. I didn't want a 10-11 second 0-60 car. I wanted something that was going to be at least around 2 seconds faster (front wheel drive 3 seconds faster). Overall, I am aware of the starter being tougher and the batteries as well. I've read about some of it. I think I will test drive the direct injection motor and see it feels.

Thank you for response Berntek, appreciate it, and yes... stop/start is here to stay for sure.
Trueepower is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A