Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
loocha
AF Newbie

Question Question: 2003 with W8-sensor problem?

Hey, we just bought a 2003 VW Passat with the W8 engine in it. When we bought it they had to reset the check engine light. They said someone at the dealership left the lights on inside accidentally and killed the battery, which triggered to check engine light (something like that). Anyway, they reset it, and about halfway home with the car, it came back on. Returned it to the dealership for more tests and they said there was something going on with one of the sensors (they weren't sure what it was), so they sent us with it to a shop to run further diagnostics on it and figure out what the deal was.

Well, it turns out it has something to do with the valve sensor (something controlling the timing of when oil is injected or something--sorry, I don't know cars at all). Anyway, can you explain what this means? What does it cost usually? Is it a must-fix, or can we let it go? Is there a strong chance this will be a reoccurring problem?
loocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Franco2112
AF Regular

Re: Question: 2003 with W8-sensor problem?

Your ECU (computer) controls your timing. Here is a read. I believe this is what they are talking about. I would take back to dealer to fix. If they can't, have them buy the car back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
loocha
AF Newbie

Thanks, Franco. That's exactly what my husband ended up doing, and they're taking care of it. Thanks for the link as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by loocha View Post
Thanks, Franco. That's exactly what my husband ended up doing, and they're taking care of it. Thanks for the link as well.
The code was most likely (camshaft adjustment b1 or b2 incorrect) In other words the camshaft adjusters have failed due to metal debris in engine clogging the eraser head sized screen that filters stuff getting into the actuator.
Long story short its a w8 and it needs an engine. Very common, very expensive. The replacement engines are 16,000$ (yes sixteen thousand) plus labor and associated fluids and such to replace.

heres a quick link for you to read about the w8! enjoy your new car if you can =)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3943349
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
loocha
AF Newbie

My husband wrote down the code, it was code P0025 "Exhaust camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 2." Does that make sense? The dealership is taking care of it for us, so whatever is wrong with it at least we won't be paying for it. But I'd still like to know what the deal is. Especially if it's the sort of thing that is going to cause any future problems.

The car seems to drive really well and performance seems to be great. It's a tad slow off the line, but at about 2.2 K RPMs it kicks in a huge amount of torque. We've never had a VW before, we've always had jeeps, so we don't know if it's performing like it should or not.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

hopefully they replace the engine and not "patch" it by replacing the bad cam adjusters.
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
issues , oil , question , sensor , valve
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat > '97+