Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
volkerc
AF Enthusiast

Viper 791XV installation driving me nuts-HELP!!!!

Hey guys and gals,
I 'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 79 Firebird in Germany and decided to get the Viper 791XV alarm system, I also bought the 520T backup battery, and the 516L programmable voice module, and the proximity sensor. I'm having trouble understanding how to hook up those pieces to the main unit.
To be more specific, I would like to find out if:

1. I still need to hook up the 12 V constant power to the 791XV, and 516L,
or would the constant power only go to the Backup battery and then hook up the Backup battery to constant power input of the 791XV and 516 L.

2.The 516L has basically all the same wires to attach to door pins and such as the 791 XV has. Will I have to connect the door pins to the 791XV AND the 516L or just to the 516l or 791XV????

I'm lost!!!
To give you guys an idea what I was trying to accomplish:
I want an alarm system that triggers a programmed voice to warn people away and then trigger the alarm if people still approach the car (proximity sensor). I would also like to use the remote start feature.
The car has no power windows, no power locks. Installation should actually be simple, but I can't figure it out....
volkerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Viper 791XV installation driving me nuts-HELP!!!!

Normally you connect constant power direct to the unit, I think the backup battery has a seperate input. You can just tap off the door pin wires to the main unit to send them to the back up. Did you not get a manual that says where all the wires go ?
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
volkerc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
Normally you connect constant power direct to the unit, I think the backup battery has a seperate input. You can just tap off the door pin wires to the main unit to send them to the back up. Did you not get a manual that says where all the wires go ?

yes i have the manuals, and those are making no sense, cause they do not say how those 3 components have to interact.they describe only how to install them by themselves.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Not sure really how to help you out on this since you are obviously a novice installer. The directions are clear cut. Also, if you didn't alreay notice, the wire colors on the 516l will match up to the color wires on the alarm.

Unless your Firebird is in great running condition, you'll never get the remote start portion to work well on a non-fuel injected vehicle.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
PaulD
Audio Guy

This is why DEI tries to have their stuff professionally installed, and a lot of other manufacturers are doing the same. When this guy screws it up, DEI will be involved in warranty work. If you can't understand their relatively straight forward directions, you should considered having someone else do it.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
volkerc
AF Enthusiast

I really don't know why I posted my question in this forum, because once again all that is posted are unnecessary remarks, no help or advice at all.
Yeah, all these wires match up perfectly in color, grey wires go to red speakers, brown wires go to red siren. an orange goes to orange black.Perfect color match.

Ponchonutty, I wouldn't install a $500+ alarm in a $100 car. The car is a frame off resto with $20000 in parts spent alone. I can assure you the engine is mechanically sound, and better than what rolls off assembly lines nowadays. And I have no interest in paying someone to do an install who is pressed for time a "professional" ,and does not care about the car because it's not his,and to mess up my wires, interior and sheetmetal.

PaulD, no, DEI won't be involved in warranty work, because I would just trash that piece.And one of the main reasons for that is 'cause they do not have anybody in germany to do installs or sell them, last time i checked and bought the item. And you must have a different installation manual, because the one I'm holding in my hands is any other than straightforward.

It would be no problem to just install the 791, but there is nothing mentioned in relation to hooking up all those pieces in one install.

But don't worry I figured it out myself, as I usually do.

I will skip this forum from now on, there are better places.

Last edited by volkerc; 12-11-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Volkerc, I am saddened that you got so pissy with me. I too am a Firebird restorer. I've owned over many Formulas or Trans ams (1974 SD Formula 4sp, '76 400-auto, 76 400-4sp, '77TA, 80 TA, '89 Formula) all of which were restored and show winning cars (accept the '89 but was a clean car) hence my nickname. I'd love to help you with your question but seriously, that alarm doesn't belong on your car. That alarm isn't safe to be on your car unless you don't hook up the RS part of it.

Personally I'd choose to install Computrack instead of a cheesy alarm system (I am an authorized DEI and Compustar dealer). Computrack only needs power and ground hooked up and that's it. You can also piggy it with one of their alarms too if you want. Their alarms/remote starters are also designed for manual tranny cars but again, you'll need fuel injection or atleast a solanoid to set your choke. You can look info up at http://compustar.com/

DEI also has something simular www.directed.com
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
PaulD
Audio Guy

poncho .... I am not sure that DEI gives out the full blown instructions with the boxes anymore, I think you get more of a user manual.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

You sure???? Everything I get from them has the install manual. Maybe he got the stuff 2nd hand off of Ebay or something???
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
PaulD
Audio Guy

no, the last one I got was years ago (6-8), I think they had to give me a copy of something extra. I don't think ebay existed back then, at least not like it does now.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Well, I just got some factory fresh stuff from DEI and it all had install instructions inside the boxes.
Orion C63 Coax rear

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio