Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #31
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMan
Samhain: '... give me a call. I can get you a TT front clip for $2000!'

-Mike
Ha... Ha... Gee, your a funny little fuckstick arent you?

Keep talking shit bro, I'll can your ass.

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #32
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan
Re: Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
Ha... Ha... Gee, your a funny little fuckstick arent you?
For that instance of the word, I believe it's spelt "you're".

Quote:
Keep talking shit bro, I'll can your ass.

-Wes
Are you.. coming on to me?
/me pulls his skirt up a little, showing a bit more leg

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #33
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

You guys are great,but you can't burn a old fart like me, and if burn down my barn, and pawn my elderly, I'll paint your car green and hide it in the grass and you'll never find it.
I was not telling anyone doing a VH swap was better than changing you VG30DETT. Presonally I think is't best to sell your NA and buy a TT.
I have 3 Z32's. 2 with VG30 engines and I'm not going into details on them but a 3rd I got with a blown engine. Being a old drag racer from before any of you were born, and already having 2 Z32's I desided to do something different. After lots of research desided on the VH45DE cause it was lighter than a VG engine and using the VH bellhousing well bolt up to the Z32 transmission, leaving only to fab the motor mounts and exhaust.
Now if any of you went to the National Hotrod Museum and look up the "Glass Slipper" you'll see I'm not a 4th rank amateur, 3rd but not 4th. Being I have the ability and knowledge to do all the work myself and all the time in the world, and God welling, I don't die before I complete my projects, I'll give you a break down of what it's cost me to date:

VH45DE engine $450

VH45DE bellhousing $100

4 core radator $300

Fab motor mounts $000 made them myself ,,very simple

mport Performance Transmission w/ 3,500 stall torque converter. Already had it and was planning putting it one of the other Z's but changed my mind.

VH45DE wiring harness and computer $200

2 condenser coils for A/C $400

Tubing 3" SS for exhaust $180

SS plate maching work and tubing for headers $330

Total cash out of pocket $1,960

Now this isnt counting electric power to run the welder and wire ties, and other odds and ends.

Bottom line is I'm starting with a engine which a very flat torque and more power than a VG engine. In the Q45 with tall gears does 0-60 5.7 sec 4,085lb car. In the Z32 with 4.08 gears and 900lbs lighter, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out it well be quicker.
And thats stock. As for building it up to blow the doors off Vett's and such, it will cost about the same as building up a VG engine. JWT is real proud of cost of their parts. In talking to Ed Pink, who builds the Infiniti 35A engines which is the same basic engine as the VH45DE, he has put me onto the people to get parts from. Cams, Web Cams, ,bout same price as JWT cams. Pistons, Aries, "bout same price as Ford and Chevy V8's. Crank and rods are better than aftermarket but need ARP bolts. The heads well need to be ported, but the valves are titinum so no need to change them. Nitrous, have many different kits already. Supercharger, most likely use a Eaton M112 cause to upgrade all I have to do is change pulley diameters.
So far everyone who has seen the engine in the car don't know the difference. It's been in and out 3 different times fitting mounts and hedders. They think it's stock, cause they don't know Z's. As for having the baddest Z on the block, I don't race Z's, just the wanna be's. But it you challange me I just might take you up on it, for trying to burn me, you didn't get up early enough.
I see this site as a place to learn, not burn people with different ideas. A place to seek help when needed, and not to be criticize for asking. The automobile wouldn't be where it is today if someone had'nt dared to be different.
When I started racing we had to build everything. Their wasn't a JWT or Isky. Drag slicks weren't even invented yet.
Remember one thing, You can't beat cubic inches, or teach a old dog new tricks.
See ya at the finish line.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:21 PM   #34
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

do it samhain, ban mike for a week. i would if he acted that way to me.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #35
MikeMan
Banned

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
do it samhain, ban mike for a week. i would if he acted that way to me.
YOU'RE COMING ON TO ME TOO!?!?

Must be this new aftershave I bought...

As a side note, we're quite far off topic lets drop this thread...

-Mike
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 AM   #36
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Mike, this isnt the first time youve ever tried to burn members... Im consulting the other mods on whether you should be banned, permenently, or temporarily.

But rule of thumb, if you insult a moderator, or administrator, you will be banned.

So we will see by tonight.

-Wes

Old 09-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #37
RX_speed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RX_speed

Are you mad about this:
"Samhain: '... give me a call. I can get you a TT front clip for $2000!'"

i thought it was just a joke
Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #38
MikeMan
Banned

So did I...

-Mike
Old 09-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #39
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Im not one to lose my head... But I cant stand it when people talk shit about me trying to help some other enthusiasts out.

So Mike... Apperently it was a joke... I was under the assumption you were trying to down members of this forum... We'll let it go. I dont feel like losing my 'ban virginity' on you anyways.

Im sorry for over reacting... Back on topic.

-Wes

Old 09-22-2004, 08:03 PM   #40
DBSS_Gohan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via MSN to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via Yahoo to DBSS_Gohan
We will now hear from the Senetor of Alabama. Hello yall.

Hi, Ok, my question is relating to a Z31s engine, N/A engine, and so I have higher compression pistons right? well what Iv I swapped them out and did motor work (Forge parts, yadda yadda, Maybe Stroke and bore, but probbly not, get head work done, deffinetly.) while I was at it to give lower compression to push more boost? cause as I understand it, you can run very small ammounts of boost on the higher compression engines? So I was thinking, what If I supercharged it to...5 PSI? Or 8 PSI?

Admittingly... for only that ammount of boost, I could probably just take my 215 MPH leaf blower, and stick it on my intake, and wire it up to my battery with an on off switch.... Hey, Since I brought it up, would that work? I was fiddling with a Leaf blower idea waaay back when I was working on my Mr2, and Then I found out they actualy sell electric turbochargers or somthing on ebay a few months later. I thought about building a glass box, and pushing all the air into a cone filter... (My intake was in the trunk.) But will the electric turbos/supers provide any noticeable increase in power on a car like the Z31? Isent it better just to work on a good ram air system?
DBSS_Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #41
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

alright, just to set you straight right now, those electric superchargers you see on ebay are absolutely 100% useless, most likely they will decrease performance rather than increase... i had a site that had stuff on it but i can't remember it now... most likely you will want to swap your engine to one that's already turbocharged, it will save you quite a bit of trouble.. it'd be even less trouble to just buy a turbocharged Z and go from there. the stock boost for a z31t is 4-5 psi... why the engineers did that, i'm not exactly sure, but you can buy a decent boost controller and up the boost to 8-10 psi... better yet, read the turbo faq on www.z31.com
as for building a good ram air system, it doesn't get much better than the stock position, just install a nice 9" cone filter in there and put a pipe in place of the intake resonator for a better intake sound.. if you really wanted to get hardcore, you could probably send your hood in to get louvered or put some sort of mini scoop on there to allow more air to get at the filter... of course then you're dealing with the chance of water entering the filter... hydrolock would most likely never be a problem but you never know... time for me to stop rambling...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #42
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Yes you can run limited PSI with high compression. Take the tubo kits for the 350Z for example, they are designed for the stock pistons and only run about 5-6.5 psi of boost. Now of course in my mind using 530BB turbos or TD05 turbos to run 5 psi of boost is like bringing a tactical nuclear warhead to a knife fight. But thats me. Anyway, as even small amounts of boost will give a very noticable increase in performance, if you want to push 5 psi on your stock pistons, that will work.

However, if you are going to do all the damn work to get a turbo in the car, you're probably going to want to run big boost. In which case you will need to rebuild your engine with lower compression pistons. This may be the way to go if you are looking at rebuilding an engine anyway due to high miles. My advice is just find a decent turbo engine and swap that in. Or go crazy and build a liquid hydrogen powered rotary/piston/turbine hybrid warp drive.

Regarding electric turbos: They just don't cut it. The thing with your standard exhaust turbine turbo is that they spin fast. Really really really fast. 100,000 rpm fast. Thats what it takes to make boost. Electric turbos just don't have the power or the seal around intake piping to make it worth while. The bottom line is that just about all electric turbos are really doing really good if they manage to break even pressure wise. I really can't see how its worth it.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #43
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Broke, I thought that the stock Turbos on the VG30DETT spool at 70,000RPM?

Anyways... Electronic Forced Induction is retarded... It never works, and it doesnt ad shit for power... Waste of money.

-Wes

Old 09-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #44
DBSS_Gohan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via MSN to DBSS_Gohan Send a message via Yahoo to DBSS_Gohan
Ok Electric turbos are bad. We all agree there. But.... What about my leaf blower Idea? Would anyone think that was too stupid? If you could make a good seal, and Actualy push a lot of air? What if you put a lot of amperage to a leaf blower? Im more asking about custom setup, do you think it would be possible to electronicaly, rather than turbine or pully setup push forced induction into the engine to give a good ammount of PSI?
DBSS_Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #45
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

They do Sam, I'm talking more like at full boost. About 70k is norm spooling point for turbos. And when 70,000 ****ing rpms is normal you know you got some really evil **** happening.

Anyway, its not so much a matter of pushing air. Its a matter of pushing air into a confined space. It feels like you can push alot of air with your lungs, blow out and it feels like a good amount of air flow. A little plastic straw will burst with only a few psi in it yet no matter how hard you blow you'll never get it to split open. This is the same with engines. Trying to push air with an electric turbo or even the leaf blower and they just can't make any power because once the pressure does start building it begins to push back against the fan. And the fan can't push back hard enough so it begins to stall after you get to the point where the engine isn't sucking or maybe you're making like 1 psi or so. This is why compressor outlets on exhaust turbine turbos are tiny, one because the fan is tiny but two because it allows very little space for all that pressure (15 psi is the difference between sea level and space. Dive under water about 15-20 feet and feel the pressure trying to collapse your lungs, and thats only like 4-5 psi there. Or something like that, my numbers may not be dead on, more like pulled out of the back of my head). to flow backwards.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)