Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

I will check what you listed and keep you guys informed hopefully replacing the fuel filter will fix it. What is the EGR and where is it located. thanks in advance.
tigerhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #17
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: stalling 1990 lumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk1
well I replaced the sparkplugs today put some silicon gel on them which seems to help the engine idle and run better. It still dies, but now when it does it cuts out and doesn't chug. It makes me wonder if the problem is the ECM, because when I took it to the mechanic (around the time I got my battery replaced). When he hooked up his computer the car would sputter and die when he unhooked it. it would Idle just fine and not stall. Also when it stalls could this be related to the Idle Air Controller not giving the engine the proper amount of oxygen? The weird thing is it still starts up just fine. I wonder if the engine is getting flooded at all.
Something interesting about this. If what you say is true, that it ran fine while the diagnostic connector was in place, then stalled when it was removed, it would indicate that one of the car's sensor systems was not properly grounded, and was "stealing" a ground from the diagnostic connector, causing it to run correctly. Make sure that any ground wires running directly to the engine are clean and corrosion free, unbroken and what all. Try hooking a jumper cable to the engine itself, and to the negative battery post. That will provide a constant, strong ground to the engine block, and any sensors that recieve a ground from it. If it begins to run differently, there is a problem with the motor to chassis ground straps. They could be torn away or corroded.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

The EGR is mounted to the intake manifold, right near the throttle body. It is a round, metal diaphragm with a plunger inside that may be visible through some slots or holes. Give it a tap near where it bolts to the intake with the motor running, and see if anything happens.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #19
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

I had mistyped one of my previous entries. When the mechanic had the car hooked up to the diagnostic sensor it would sputter out and die. But when it was unhooked it would run just fine. I've noticed in the past few days sometimes it will die when I'm driving the car this is usually 30 mins after I've been driving it around. Other times it dies when I'm at a stoplight. Sorry if I confused you in the past thanks again for your help
Old 08-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #20
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Understand, trying to diagnose an ECM feedback controlled systems glitches by mail is like trying to induce cold fusion with a hammer. You just don't have the tools you need to do it. The only reason I bother is 1. Entertainment, and 2. I may hear something I have seen in my experience, and be able to help. But if I can actually solve your problem, it will be by luck, or process of elimination, so we got to keep the facts very straight. Even then, it is kinda a crap-shoot. But it's free, so what the hell, right?

So basically, we need to determine whether it is fuel, or spark, or both, that are absent when it stalls. It is hard to tell when they start right back up right away. It is also possible that it is just too lean (too much air) for a stable idle in some situations.

Tell me again

What year
Which motor
Mileage
Does it idle good cold?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #21
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

1990, 2.5L V4 , 123,881 miles, Yes it idles well when cold.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #22
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk1
1990, 2.5L V4 , 123,881 miles, Yes it idles well when cold.
O.K. reason I asked, on the older feedback control engines like yours, the ECM doesn't do a whole lot of feedback control when the engine is cold, operating instead on a pre-planned cold idle strategy. It still uses sensor information to some degree, but doesn't use O2 sensor readings to modify the fuel mixture until the cat has warmed up signifigantly, and doesn't allow EGR valve operation until then. Also, I was wondering if an air leak causing abnormally lean mixture might be the cause, but that will cause abrupt stalling when the motor is cold, so maybe we can rule that out. Let me think a little, and try to remember what I can about those.....did you check the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor? My memory is still liking that problem for these symptoms on those models. It would get worse as the motor warmed up also. The EGR is still suspect. Has it ever died during acceleration? Or just when you let off the gas? Need to know this.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #23
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

I have not checked the Vacuum hose leading to the map sensor I will do this today. Yes it has died during acceleration. When I took it out for a drive yesterday on the way home the engine stalled and died on me as I let off the gas. I had to pull over for about 10 mins to let it cool down then it started right back up . Drove it for about another 1mile when it died again pulled into a parking lot let it cool down then I drove it home. I really appreciate your help thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:12 AM   #24
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

I checked the vacuum hose leading to the map sensor it's in good condition no cracks or anything.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #25
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I'm thinking the ignition module is bad here. If I remember right, it is on the back side of the motor, and is somewhat of a pain in the ass to replace. At least for me, I've got fat arms and hands. It is back there where all the plug wires terminate. The EGR could cause the stall when you lift off the gas, but usually won't kill it while under power. I don't think that's it. It was not uncommon for those ignition modules to work until warm, then start to radomly die once warm. There is micro circuits inside it that break connection at a certain temperature when the unit goes bad.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #26
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

I had a 1990 Lumina with the 2.5 in it, and it was the worst piece of crap they ever put in a car. I, myself. would lean towards an ignition issue. I would buy a spark tester, one like this one http://www.costplustools.com/store/p...tor_41556.html , and drive the car till it stalls, pull over, and plug in this tester, and crank the engine, all before the car has had a chance to "cool down". If there is no spark, try the coil, or ignition module. Good luck, keep us informed.
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 PM   #27
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

I had a mechanic friend of mine who is an associate where I work look at my car. We pulled the cover off of the fuel pump and tried to start it not a single drop of fuel came out. So the Fuel pump is bad so now I know what to replace I just have to save up the money for it. Thanks for all the assistance you've offered I learned a lot and I greatly appreciate it. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
P.S. We Also tested the sparkplugs and when I tried to start it we got spark just no fuel from the Fuel Pump.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #28
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

Also yesterday after sitting for 4 hours it would not turn over. the radiator fan would also click on and off like it wanted to engage. Anyways I'll replace the fuel pump in the future. If you guys can think of anything else let me know and I appreciate all your advice. Thx
Old 10-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #29
tigerhawk1
AF Newbie

Well I had the fuel pump checked and it turned out fine. I had my friend check it out. He had me hold the gas down while starting it and it would turn over and die. Any ideas?

I would imagine it's either not getting enough air or fuel.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also found out how to get the error codes from my Lumina by cycling the ingition 6 times.Does anybody where I can find the manual that would have the error codes for the 1990 Lumina 4cyl.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:40 PM   #30
cadgear
AF Enthusiast

A Haynes/Chilton type manual at pepboys/advance will tell you the basic ODB I codes and how to read them.
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina