Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #61
kevinb70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kevinb70 Send a message via Yahoo to kevinb70
Re: 98 3.1L top end rebuild (pics)

isnt like floating on a cloud now? same here! I can NOT hear or feel the engine when im driving.

i think the 3.1 is destined to always choke out on the first crank - something about the IAC valve re-learning. mine started on 2nd. the iac valve was almost frozen up, would 'forget its position' ... so i replaced it been perfect after that.

I can see a lifter not getting primed and acting like that. I disassembled and cleaned every one, filled with oil before installing, primed the oil pump with a drill and socket.. had a little bit of lifter tapping, but cleared up after it warmed up for the first time
2014 Toyota Prius Four
kevinb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #62
ptcfast2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb70 View Post
isnt like floating on a cloud now? same here! I can NOT hear or feel the engine when im driving.

i think the 3.1 is destined to always choke out on the first crank - something about the IAC valve re-learning. mine started on 2nd. the iac valve was almost frozen up, would 'forget its position' ... so i replaced it been perfect after that.

I can see a lifter not getting primed and acting like that. I disassembled and cleaned every one, filled with oil before installing, primed the oil pump with a drill and socket.. had a little bit of lifter tapping, but cleared up after it warmed up for the first time
I chose not to clean mine...something I debated constantly when I had it torn down.

Engine has 225,000 miles on it, so I'm trying to make the best of it and invest as little money into it before I'm forced to replace the car or buy a new engine. It runs pretty well as is, so as long as I keep 3,000 mile oil changes going I think I should be good for a good while longer. I figured the head gaskets/intake gaskets/exhaust gaskets should do the trick in general and keep everything held together! Plus, this was the most complex thing I've ever done to a car (I'm a semi-experienced home mechanic) so I wanted to be sure I didn't add something else to the equation...one thing at a time I guess.

But yes, it feel amazing when compared to driving the car before. As I don't know how the car drove when new I can't say much, but I do know the difference (when compared to before the rebuild) is night and day. I still can't believe the improvement in acceleration...pretty awesome!
ptcfast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #63
dafeeder
AF Newbie

Is there an O-Ring on the Fuel Line that connects to the Fuel Rack?

On my 96, 3.1, when I pulled the fuel line out, I didn't see any O-Ring, but now it leaks when I put it back together.
dafeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #64
kevinb70
AF Regular

couldn't remember..checked alldata

FUEL PIPE 0-RINGS
Fuel feed and return pipe threaded connections at the fuel rail and fuel filter are sealed with replaceable O-ring seals. These O-rings seals are made of special material, and should only be serviced with the correct service part.
2014 Toyota Prius Four
Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #65
dafeeder
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb70 View Post
couldn't remember..checked alldata

FUEL PIPE 0-RINGS
Fuel feed and return pipe threaded connections at the fuel rail and fuel filter are sealed with replaceable O-ring seals. These O-rings seals are made of special material, and should only be serviced with the correct service part.

Chevy dealer Parts department doesn't show any replacement O-Rings but I read somewhere that it had one, but I never saw one when I pulled the line apart and there didn't appear to be one left in the rail when I pulled the line out.

Thank You
Old 08-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #66
kevinb70
AF Regular

im thinking its a flared compression fitting, no o-ring. i really don't remember an oring. maybe pipe dope or teflon thread tape will help.

that line would have a lip the o-ring would sit on, if it had one.
2014 Toyota Prius Four
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #67
dafeeder
AF Newbie

It was missing an O-Ring.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina