Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Is Gorilla Super Glue better?

Super glue's lack of "give" can be a problem, especially with parts that are bendy - like suspension components. Shock or flexing can easily break a small CA joint, and accelerator will make it even more brittle.

Gorilla claims their super glue isn't brittle like other CA's. (They have a promo at http://www.gorillatough.com/glues/superglue/index.aspx) Sounds great, but is there a trade-off?

Anyone have experience with Gorilla Super Glue?

Ddms
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
prortiz80
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to prortiz80 Send a message via Yahoo to prortiz80 Send a message via Skype™ to prortiz80
Re: Is Gorilla Super Glue better?

i have tryed using it and i didnt like it cause its to hot for the plastic used for models and when it dry's it turns in a crystal looking... really hard to sad or shape
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

So far, very good.

For one thing, it seems to harden faster than other thick CA's. Holding a joint for fifteen seconds is enough for it to set up, so - hopefully - accelerator will disappear from my work table. (I don't like Kicker etc. because it crystallizes CA and makes it even more brittle.)

This morning I handled some Gorilla'd parts pretty roughly, and the joints held. The bottle says the glue contains rubber to allow it to flex.

It has a screw-on cap with very big threads. The fit is nice and tight, so it shouldn't thicken so much over time. Inside the cap is a spike that penetrates the opening to keep it from sealing up. Finally, a CA cap that really works!

On the whole, Gorilla Super Glue seems stronger, faster and better-packaged than the competition.

Ddms
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
xpeed
AF Enthusiast

I prefer to use Gorilla glue for tools and such, but not for modeling only because it becomes hard and crystal-like, and tends to leave horrible air bubbles in the glue, but it holds really well.

Lexus LF-A Roadster Concept with my bodykit design

"Current Projects"
Nismo Kure GT-R - 0% Sileighty/Onevia - 35%/25%, MCR R34 GT-R - 10%, R34 JGTC Xanavi - 30%, JGTC Raybrig NSX - 0%, 2009/2011 WRX STi - 50%/0%, D1GP Kazama S15 - 55%, Toyota Celica - 2%, Calsonic Z Super GT - 0%, Calsonic R32 GT-R Race car - 5%, C-West RX-7 - 40%, Nismo 350Z 5%, Blitz Chaser - 90%.... a lot of unfinished work.
xpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Just to be clear, I'm talking about their new SUPER GLUE (cyanoacrylate), not regular Gorilla Glue.

So far, in gluing small parts, I haven't run into the problems you describe, so we might not be talking about the same thing.

Ddms

Last edited by Didymus; 03-21-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Here's an update on Gorilla SUPER Glue, now that I've had a chance to try it on several joints. There seems to have been some confusion about which glue I was testing. I've been testing Gorilla Super Glue, NOT the regular Gorilla Glue that has been on the market for some time. Gorilla Glue is entirely different stuff, and I've never actually tried it for model making.

In my opinion, the new Gorilla Super Glue product is far superior to regular thick (gap filling) superglue, also known as CA or cyanoacrylate.

The main advertised benefit of Gorilla Super Glue is that it is not brittle like regular CA - and, as it turns out, that's not just hype. Unlike regular thick CA, a sharp shock will not break the joint. According to the label, it contains rubber. Apparently because of the rubber, it can withstand a certain amount of bending. All told, it takes a lot more effort to break a Gorilla Super Glue joint than a joint glued with ordinary CA. It's the next-strongest thing to 5-minute epoxy.

It also dries fast. It's not instant like thin superglue, but it seems to dry quite a bit faster than other thick superglues. If you can hold a joint steady for 15 seconds, you've got a solid bond. Since I've been using it, I have not needed to use my Zap Kicker. (An accelerator like Zap Kicker is a virtual necessity with regular thick CA, but it aerates the glue a bit and makes it even more brittle.) Because Gorilla CA dries so fast, it can even replace contact cement for many joints.

The GSG I've been using comes in small tubes. As I said before, the cap is the best I've seen. It has a pin that goes down into the bottle. The opening on my tube has yet to clog. And the threads are very large and easy to clean. It does come in larger bottles, but I haven't tried them and haven't a clue about their cap set-up.

I strongly recommend this stuff. I hate broken joints. And I hate epoxy nearly as much, mainly because it's so damned messy. I'm happy to say I haven't needed it since I got the GSG.

In case there are suspicious minds out there, I have no relationship connection of any kind with Gorilla or anybody associated with Gorilla. I saw their ad and tried their superglue; that's the only connection.

Ddms
Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
prortiz80
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to prortiz80 Send a message via Yahoo to prortiz80 Send a message via Skype™ to prortiz80

I thank you cause i didnt know there was two types of this glue now i know and i going to buy a tube and test it out
Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prortiz80 View Post
I thank you cause i didnt know there was two types of this glue now i know and i going to buy a tube and test it out
How did you like it?

This super-good super glue has been getting great reviews from fellow modelers; it's a shame that people confuse it with the old Gorilla Glue, which doesn't seem to ring anybody's bell.

Ddms
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

So obviously after reading the confusion on the glue I had to go check and see what version I have. Well turns out I have been using the new stuff. Overall impressions are, solid bond, thick but not too thick. I can drop a glob on my tile and it stays liquid for about 15 mins. If I use it for bonding it does dry very quick. The only downside is as a filler it is very hard to sand. You cannot put glue precisely where you want it unless you use a separate applicator as the tip is a little wide. I will be buying more, Target has it cheep, in the future so I can say
robertgreen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
RobertT25
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Is Gorilla Super Glue better?

Having tried out other superglue and always been fed up that after a short time or a knock the bond fails...but Ultraloc Super glue is excellent. Once dry the bond is excellent - and you don't need to put loads on. Easy to clean up any excess. Fantastic!
RobertT25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
JimKing
AF Newbie

Don’t like Gorilla, the best superglue on the market has to be Ultraloc which is the best I've ever used. Ultroloc has good shear strength and is not brittle, so it stands up to some knocking around. It also has great packaging that won't clog…most other super glues I have used clog up after one use…not Ultraloc. I used this glue to fix outer section of wing mirror…I have also used glue to re-glue the sole treads back onto the bottom of my Nike trainers…FANTASTIC! Highly recommend it folks you won’t regret it.
JimKing is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling