Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

1/12 Revell F40

I bought a built up F40 from ebay for $5.00. It was listed as 1/16 but due to a language barrier I couldn't seem to get any decent pictures or measurements. Anyhow I'd like to restore it and do a nicely detailed build-up. Has anyone ever used the photoetch from scaledetails? Just curious how their stuff is. Can the Revell kit be super-detailed, has anybody here tried done it? The kit I recieved has molded in side slider windows, I don't remember the kit having slider windows? Thanks for any and all input.

Mike.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to deltableh Send a message via AIM to deltableh Send a message via MSN to deltableh Send a message via Yahoo to deltableh Send a message via Skype™ to deltableh
Re: 1/12 Revell F40

This is gonna be useless, but I can't wait if you are gonna superdetail this kit... that'll be a wicked WIP
Old 04-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Well let's see some pics!

The Revell is the only 1/12 F40 I know of, but I've never seen it built so I couldn't identify one. I have the 1/16 Fujimi and it seems just huge- I can barely imagine 1/12.

Of course it can be superdetailed- it only depends on your references and ambitions.

I haven't seen the Scale Details sets in person, and I'm not terribly impressed with the pics they have on their site. It looks to me that the 1/12 set is the same as the 1/16 set, just scaled up. While this may seem logical, I doubt the metal thicknes also is increased- and it seems this would be a serious limitation. In 1/24 (in my opinion) PE parts often are too thin, and look like nothing more than they are- etched metal. In 1/16, this is of course that much worse, and in 1/12 I have a hard time imagining that much of anything would look right in PE. But then, I seem to be inherently suspicious of PE sets. If you need an emblem for the engine lid, get one of the Crazy Modeler self adhesive sets. The large size should fit fine, and the F40 doesn't need any other scripts.

I say strip it, take it apart, and superdetail it! Even if the base kit isn't great, it should be a fine base for a detail project.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Daki
AF Newbie

Sounds interesting. I have a set of scaledetails 1/12 PE set for the F40 and its a very nice set. I am not sure if it was worth 30 bucks but it seems to have a ton of details. There are tons of detail pixs on the web for the F40, shouldn't be too hard to find them. Good luck with the project!
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Daki, do you have any pictures of the photoetch? Looking for some close up shots of what you get. Thanks.

Andy, heres the pictures. I think its a nice kit but it does have a few downfalls. No F40 symbol molded into the wing for one. Engine is lacking in a few places, but I think it's salvagable, my only real concern is the back glass was glued in with what looks like liquid cement. Maybe if somebody here has a back glass they would like to share that would be great.

And a comparison shot with a 1/24 Tamiya Modena, this will give you an idea what a monster this is.

Mike.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to deltableh Send a message via AIM to deltableh Send a message via MSN to deltableh Send a message via Yahoo to deltableh Send a message via Skype™ to deltableh

It'd be wicked for the entire thing to be covered in like, high-def CF decals, and then sprayed clear red, so you could see the weave through the paint, just like on the real thing. But that'd be wicked expensive...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
countach79
AF Enthusiast

I have this kit and all ways wondered how it would build ( looked pretty horrible on the trees ) i opened it up the other day only to find the roof squashed in abit ( the cat thought she would sleep on the box, thanks alot cat!! )

It is a monster of a car! thats for sure!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Daki
AF Newbie

Here ya go! I have a whole bunch of other pictures of the kit for future reference when or IF I get to building this monster.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
CeeElle
AF Regular

check your PMs, Mike.
CeeElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

Nice looking f40.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Uuuuuuggghh! First time I've seen decent photos of this kit - it seems strangely proportioned and slabby in places? Not sure if there's too much bodywork above the rear wheels or are the wheels too small? Not seen a 1:1 example for a while - maybe with the advent of massive diameter rims the F40 has aged somewhat and I've not noticed?
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
p9o1r1sche

I have this kit and the P/E shown above. I checked the wheel size and it appears the rear wheels in the kit are about right for the front, and the rear wheels need to be significantly larger to be scaled right. Looking at the photos, the wheels fill the fender cutouts pretty well, so the fender wheel openings may need to be larger. This would make the body look a little less 'clunky'. Otherwise, I thought the body looked pretty good, but the rear mesh area still looks a little too large. The other thing about this kit are the horrible seats. I'll certainly be 'overcoming' these issues on my build.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
I have this kit and the P/E shown above. I checked the wheel size and it appears the rear wheels in the kit are about right for the front, and the rear wheels need to be significantly larger to be scaled right.
You don't need to justify some more exotic lathework here, you know!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
I have this kit and the P/E shown above. I checked the wheel size and it appears the rear wheels in the kit are about right for the front, and the rear wheels need to be significantly larger to be scaled right. Looking at the photos, the wheels fill the fender cutouts pretty well, so the fender wheel openings may need to be larger. This would make the body look a little less 'clunky'. Otherwise, I thought the body looked pretty good, but the rear mesh area still looks a little too large. The other thing about this kit are the horrible seats. I'll certainly be 'overcoming' these issues on my build.
What are your thoughts on the P/E? I have a lathe and am prepared to use it. Me personally I'd love to see a set of OZ wheels for this car. Now that I have the kit I would absolutely love to super-detail it, there are so many references on the net for this car, just don't know if I could pull it off. I think the major downfall of this kit is the wheel/tire size as mentioned here.

Mike.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
obican
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to obican Send a message via MSN to obican

convert it to a 288 GTO
B: Bodywork, Paint and Trim
I: Interior

'60 Pontiac Bonneville Coupe (C: 95%, E: 95%, B: 60%, I: 50%)
Ferrari F50 (C: 80%, E: 92%, B: %90, I: 90%)
'60 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (C: 70%, E: 70%, B: 40%, I: 30%)
BMW Z8 (C: 100%, E: 100%, B: -20%, I: 99%)
'90 Chevrolet C1500 (C: 100%, E: 90%, B: 60% I: 0%)
obican is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling